• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long distance Cycling Alternatives

Tobyturnips

Hi all
Just back from my 7th Camino. This was the first time I cycled from St Jean; previously I started in Roncesvalles, Pamplona and once Seville. Every year I said this is my last time - until I was back home in Ireland and rested!
As always I was intrigued by Dutch and German pilgrims who started from their own front doors.
Over the years I have transferred from the road to the path as I find it much more inspirational and friendly.
I love off road on the bike.
Last year I completed the Via Francigena to Rome from Canterbury. It was wonderful but in truth nothing compares to the Camino Frances. It keeps drawing me back.
I am thinking of starting in France next time, maybe in Cluny to Le Puy. Does anybody know if this route is suitable for off road cycling? If not is it possible along country roads?
I have toyed with the idea of starting in Holland but the route along western France doesn't appeal to me as it looks pretty flat and less interesting.
Love to get some feedback.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From "Your Camino, on foot, bicycle and horseback, in France and Spain"

The route from Le Puy-en-Velay is passable by bike but between Le Puy and Cahors there are sections that are not suitable for bikes. From Parks Aubrac and between the city and Nasbinals Aubrac paths have been developed for hikers but not cyclists.

The VĂ©zelay Route is more accessible for cyclists but has a lot of road cycling.

The Arles Route is a very difficult trail for bikes, especially the section between Montpellier and Castres.

The Tours route (from Paris) is very easy, flat route until one reaches the southern hills and approaches the Pyrenees. Some cyclists feel that this route doesn’t present any challenge!

Happy planning!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back