• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long distance walkers - how did you train?

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
I'm interested in what kind of training do those of you who routinely walk 30-40km stages do?

I have about 5 weeks until I begin my Camino on the San Salvador and then continue on to Santiago on the Primitivo.

I'm strongly considering walking the San Salvador in 4 days since that would give me a little more flexibility with the Primitivo. It seems the way to do that is to add about 9km to day 1 and walk to Pola de Gordón instead of stopping in La Robla. But, that makes for a very long 36km first day! (And 32km into Oviedo on day 4).

I'm completely comfortable with my shoes and equipment. I have my pack down to 13lbs. without food or water - down from about 17lbs on my first Camino. I'm also fairly fit, and have the cardio part down.

But, my practice walks are all in the 10-15km range. I do these without stopping and at a fairly good pace (6km/hour), and I'm fine. On previous Caminos, 20km was a short day, 25km typical, and 30+ long. Of course, some long days were great, and some short days were slogs - you never know. I'm just trying to figure out how to reduce the slog days and prepare myself for potentially a few 30-35km days! Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I only once tried to train to walk 30km+. I used to walk 17 km and then walk back. That was on fairly flat ground and without backpack (well, just a very light day pack). I probably did that 3 times a week, sometimes more. It worked absolutely fine but once I started the real journey, with backpack and on ‘undulating’ terrain (if not mountains 🙄) it was a different story! 😁
I think the key (for me anyway!) is not to attempt it the first few days of a Camino. After a week - or even 10 days nowadays - of walking 20 to 25 km a day then I‘m fine to go 30km+
It is not just the distance, it is also the terrain, as no doubt you’ll have noticed. The weather can make it more difficult also, of course…
I would just try it at home, see how you get on, only trouble is that it is very time-consuming!
Good luck 🙂

I think the key (for me anyway!) is not to attempt it the first few days of a Camino. After a week - or even 10 days nowadays - of walking 20 to 25 km a day then I‘m fine to go 30km+
It is not just the distance, it is also the terrain, as no doubt you’ll have noticed. The weather can make it more difficult also, of course…
The only way you can train for 30km+ days is to build yourself up to 30km+ days. Your practice walks are 10-15km, so you need to start doing 15-20km days, then 20-25km days and so on. And you need to be doing these practice walks back to back, day after day in order to really build the endurance. Are you able to do these long walks every day at home? And are you practicing on a lot of different terrain, from flat, to rocky, to mountainous? Are your walks EVERY DAY? If not - then as this poster said - I wouldn't attempt to do a 30km+ day right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don‘t train especially for the camino.
Normal training 3x per week (weightlifting 🏋🏻‍♂️, jogging 🏃🏻‍♂️, aerobic).
That‘s well enough.
The walking fitness will rise with every meter you walk.
Start slow and with shorter distances at the beginning.
After some days you will increase the distance and may be speed.

Don‘t overthink it.

Last edited:
Bob
no easy answers to this one! I think for training I'd test out a couple of weekend hikes where you do about 30-35km the first day and then at least 25km the day after. And see how that feels :p
That first day out of Leon is more like 38km but it's easy gentle walking all the way. The last stage into Oviedo starts easy on the flat, but you have to traverse some hilly bits before you reach the city, so allow sufficient time for your pace to slow in the last part.
You haven't said how many days you are allowing for the Primitivo, but one option might be to look at saving some time at the other end: lots of people do Arzua to Santiago in one day (again about 38km) - and you'll definitely have found your camino legs by then!
Cheers, tom
EDIT - Actually, thinking about it, 5 days was a good workout for me and I'd already walked the Vadiniense to get to Leon. If you try and do it 'cold' in 4 days, those middle two days will be tough - there are some seriously up and down sections involved

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never walk that far or that fast ... I like the smell of roses ... and there are so many roses if you have the time to notice.
I've run a couple marathons, and my caminos are as far away from that experience as possible. One is physical, and the other is as well ... but is not, if you allow it to be something else.

I'm interested in what kind of training do those of you who routinely walk 30-40km stages do?

I have about 5 weeks until I begin my Camino on the San Salvador and then continue on to Santiago on the Primitivo.

I'm strongly considering walking the San Salvador in 4 days since that would give me a little more flexibility with the Primitivo. It seems the way to do that is to add about 9km to day 1 and walk to Pola de Gordón instead of stopping in La Robla. But, that makes for a very long 36km first day! (And 32km into Oviedo on day 4).

I'm completely comfortable with my shoes and equipment. I have my pack down to 13lbs. without food or water - down from about 17lbs on my first Camino. I'm also fairly fit, and have the cardio part down.

But, my practice walks are all in the 10-15km range. I do these without stopping and at a fairly good pace (6km/hour), and I'm fine. On previous Caminos, 20km was a short day, 25km typical, and 30+ long. Of course, some long days were great, and some short days were slogs - you never know. I'm just trying to figure out how to reduce the slog days and prepare myself for potentially a few 30-35km days! Thanks!
While I’m not a fan of really long days (38 Km was my longest and my shin splints were arguing with me), I can share one element that I wish I had trained more for. Even though I took the stairs instead of the elevators at work, the stairs did not prepare my body for inclines and declines. I wish I had purposely practiced on more hilly terrain.

Now the funny part of this was that by the time I reached Portomarin, I was getting used to the ups and downs of hills. BUT, the STAIRS in Portomarin and Sarria (leading up to the municipal Albergue) were challenging to be sure. And I wasn't the only one that felt this. At the top of the stairs in Sarria, I sat and enjoyed a few beers during the evening and I watched each and every Pilgrim turn the corner at the bottom of that long stairway and STOP DEAD!! I heard them exclaim “Stairs!” In many different languages!!

Practice hills!!

Hi, to eliminate boredom and fatigue of exercising too much, I started incorporating some running into my routine. 3 miles of walking, 3 mile runs, and 3 miles w my backpack, all at one session. 2 or 3 times a week, 2 or 3 weeks before I left. If u r fit then u will b OK.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I’m not a fan of really long days (38 Km was my longest and my shin splints were arguing with me), I can share one element that I wish I had trained more for. Even though I took the stairs instead of the elevators at work, the stairs did not prepare my body for inclines and declines. I wish I had purposely practiced on more hilly terrain.

Now the funny part of this was that by the time I reached Portomarin, I was getting used to the ups and downs of hills. BUT, the STAIRS in Portomarin and Sarria (leading up to the municipal Albergue) were challenging to be sure. And I wasn't the only one that felt this. At the top of the stairs in Sarria, I sat and enjoyed a few beers during the evening and I watched each and every Pilgrim turn the corner at the bottom of that long stairway and STOP DEAD!! I heard them exclaim “Stairs!” In many different languages!!

Practice hills!!
Yes! I agree that it’s good to consider the first 10 days on the Camino as training for the rest also. Practice hills is what the last group of friends told me to recommend to others for their expeditions on El Camino de Costa Rica. They had been very diligent about training for about 6 months but mostly on flat well kept terrain and when they faced the steep and muddy rainforest paths or even gravel roads they felt it was a significantly different challenge even in the fresh cool mountain and high valley air. The Camino de Costa Rica is a good sequence once you’ve done the various routes to Compostela. But train on hills!

Reduce the slogging by reducing the weight of the pack. Your present 14 pounds is not bad but a 10 pound pack gives you more than enough room to add water and food as needed and still stay under 14 pounds. I have heard of those who have stuck to doing 40 km days every day, and have completed the Camino Frances in three weeks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, to eliminate boredom and fatigue of exercising too much, I started incorporating some running into my routine. 3 miles of walking, 3 mile runs, and 3 miles w my backpack, all at one session. 2 or 3 times a week, 2 or 3 weeks before I left. If u r fit then u will b OK.
Oooh - I really like this idea! A good, hard workout without it just being a straight 30km walk. Thanks for the idea!

Bob
no easy answers to this one! I think for training I'd test out a couple of weekend hikes where you do about 30-35km the first day and then at least 25km the day after. And see how that feels :p
That first day out of Leon is more like 38km but it's easy gentle walking all the way. The last stage into Oviedo starts easy on the flat, but you have to traverse some hilly bits before you reach the city, so allow sufficient time for your pace to slow in the last part.
You haven't said how many days you are allowing for the Primitivo, but one option might be to look at saving some time at the other end: lots of people do Arzua to Santiago in one day (again about 38km) - and you'll definitely have found your camino legs by then!
Cheers, tom
EDIT - Actually, thinking about it, 5 days was a good workout for me and I'd already walked the Vadiniense to get to Leon. If you try and do it 'cold' in 4 days, those middle two days will be tough - there are some seriously up and down sections involved
After the currently planned 5 days for the San Salvador, I have 12 days for the Primitivo. I don't have any rest days in there, so "gaining" a day by covering the San Salvador in 4 days would allow for a rest day somewhere along the way.

What I found interesting is that it seems the key to 4 or 5 days is all in the extra kms on Day 1 to get to Pola de Gordón. Those mountains in the middle are going to be there for two days no matter what :).

I'll be on my own this time, so I'm likely to not make a reservation and just see how I feel when I get to La Robla. I'm hoping that there won't be a bed race issue in mid-May.

Good luck @BobY333! I am fit, an avid walker, climber of peaks over 13,000 feet in Colorado, and the 5-day walk over the mountains on the San Salvador humbled me. I like the walk 3/run 3/backpack 3 training program to increase your stamina. Let us know how it works out for you, because I felt the Primitivo was a run for the money too! Back-to-back days of significant up/down, up/down. If you burn yourself out in the first days on the Salvador, you got a lot of mountainous days left if you need to alter your plans! Buen Camino!

Last edited:

I regularly walk 30-40 km stages and never train for those distances. At home I walk about 12-15 km daily with my dog and do Ashtanga Yoga 4x per week, that's it.

When I walked my first Camino in 2010 I had no idea how far nor how fast I could walk. Soon enough I learned that I was able to walk long stages, recovered fast and that my normal tempo is faster than most. With this knowledge, I could gage my subsequent Caminos.

Last June I walked the Salvador in 4 days (to Pola de Gordon on the first day) followed by the Primitivo. The first stage is long but the terrain easier than the following days. The Salvador is also a great preparation for the Primitivo.

Saying all this does not mean that your body can handle it but I am a 65 year old woman 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I regularly walk 30-40 km stages and never train for those distances. At home I walk about 12-15 km daily with my dog and do Ashtanga Yoga 4x per week, that's it.

When I walked my first Camino in 2010 I had no idea how far nor how fast I could walk. Soon enough I learned that I was able to walk long stages, recovered fast and that my normal tempo is faster than most. With this knowledge, I could gage my subsequent Caminos.

Last June I walked the Salvador in 4 days (to Pola de Gordon on the first day) followed by the Primitivo. The first stage is long but the terrain easier than the following days. The Salvador is also a great preparation for the Primitivo.

Saying all this does not mean that your body can handle it but I am a 65 year old woman 😉
Thank you for the encouragement!!! I was just reading through @peregrina2000 blog and literally said out loud, "What am I doing?". Then your message came in and gave me fresh hope that I can do this in 4 days.

Comfortable shoes, some training...I think this is all you need, Bob :) As others have said (and as you probably know :) you'll get stronger from day one and those 30km + days will come easily. The San Salvador is a beautiful camino - short and sweet. It's possible to do a double stage here- but you would be rushing though stunning scenery - and I know for myself, I regret moving too quickly through it. The Primitivo is entirely different experience and I think here is where slog days might be found ;) Yes, cardio can be trained for - but unless your duplicating weather, elevation, carrying your intended pack, food, water - then I think the Camino will train you best.

The Salvador is quite up and down, if not mountainous, so longer stretches would be very hard work. I would try to be more flexible or do longer stretches on the Primitivo where the terrain is more even (I wouldn't say flat) and there are more options for accommodation and stages. You would also have more time to appreciate the Salvador which is one of the most beautiful caminos and preferably not rushed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My practice walks before my camino were typicaly 4k with a few 10k walks just before I left to get the gear settled in. I was 58 years old and had a heart condition. Typical distances I walked on the Camino were 25k to a few 40k. From what you have said above you don't need to train any more than you have, you will be fine. As I've said in other threads like this, don't walk your Camino before you walk your Camino.
Buen Camino and enjoy it.

Seems that people just simulate the activity in order to train for it, which is difficult if the activity is 30 plus km.

Subjective and works for me ever since I tried has been to work around it. Since I don't have the time to walk the tens of thousands of steps with backpack, I chose to do strength training instead. Squats (burpees) in my case just 30 a day leading to the Camino and building up the leg muscles and even push up for upper body has enable me to reduce the time to get used to the Camino with minimal time to get into the Camino swing. That and the strength helped the uphill downhill and even provide stamina for the occasional unavoidable long mileage day.

As said it works on me very well. Not sure how well it will work for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our preparations for the first Camino on the Frances were weekly long (20 km) walks and our usual 10k runs and daily 3/5k walks. Days averaged at 25 to 30 km (we are speedy walkers) with an occasional marathon distance, followed by a short 10 to 15 km day. On the other Caminos we just did the usual as we knew our capabilities. Our longest day was 56km walking into Sobrado de Monxes on the Norte as we took the alternate route that has no accomodation available (an interesting and memorable 10 hour day) and had no choice but to keep going. If you are average fitness and not a walking fanatic make sure you don’t overdo it and “bite off more than you can chew” as your shoes and pack do take a toll if you aren’t used to it. Be aware of your route, where there are places to stay and places to eat/shop/find water and if it a tiring day, where to access transport to where you plan to sleep. You will build fitness as you progress along the Camino so be aware of your limitations, take time to take in the amazing and varied scenery and take rest days when they are needed. Buen Camino and enjoy!

I agree with LTfit. Just walk. Yesterday I completed the Via Francigena from Torino to Rome, a distance of over 600 mi / 960 km. I did nothing special before starting, but averaged 30 km on my first 6 days, then walked 45 on day 7 due no accommodations. I regularly walked over 30 and did a couple double stages. I find that I fall into a rhythm as the days go by. My pack is about 10.5 kg and my weight is 70. I'm a 71 year old man. Don't over complicate things.

When training for my 1994 from Paris, I had a 20K hiking route from central Paris to a place where the countryside begins.

I'd hike there, get some stuff at the village supermarket, and then either take a train back, or hike back after a bit of R&R in the village.

It would tend to go there and back a couple of times a week, and a few one ways.

It's easier to walk long distances though on the Way, as you have literally nothing else to do but walk !!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked the San Salvador from Buiza in under 3 days (I walked the Olvidado first) and then the Primitivo in 8 days as I relish long days. I prefer to walk at least 30 km a day and have been known to walk 50km (it was a lovely day and I just felt good!). As I tend to walk an average pace of around 5km/mile then 30km only takes 6 hours. I always wake early so am normally off by 0700 and therefore if I stopped at 30km I would probably be there by 1400 and given that many of the places are small I would have a long time to just hang around. My training is limited. I have used the same pack for 6 or 7 caminos so I know that is comfortable. I play golf 3 times or more a week and that keeps me generally fit and I know my walking shoes are comfortable. Therefore, my only preparation tends to be to try walk no more than 30kms for the first few days until things all feel good. Just enjoy it how ever you want to do it and listen to your body.

Since it's an easy walk by hiking standards, I would say the most important thing is to get your feet in shape for the relentless impact. If you are regularly walking 15 miles, I'd say you are already there, though. You could try to string together a few days of long distance walking to get a feel for how you deal with the endurance aspect of it.

Make sure you train some going uphill/downhill and don't just do flat walking. Walk on different surfaces, especially gravel and the dreaded asphalt. And walk with poles to get used to that, if you aren't already.

Last edited:
How do I train? Every single day of my life! I've walked 1300 kilometers this year without walking a Camino. I do some light weights and abdominal core exercises as well.
Good physical condition should be a life goal regardless of walking a Camino.
I'll get off my soap box now...

Last edited:
i started walking in January of 2022 and love it. The hills of Gers make training relatively easy but it’s the body that needs to be trained before heading out on 800 km. Before leaving home, will hike a minimum of 25/km up and down so that ascending the Somport will be feasible.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.