• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long distance Wanderers

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
A friend of mine is travelling in north Australia. He came across a long distance wanderer called Kuno Penner and stopped for a chat. Kuno is walking around the world and has completed 25 countries to date. He plans to go on to NZ (Te Araroa Trail) and finally to Patagonia from Alaska on the Pacific Coast Trail and then home.

Kuno (71 years old) has been on the road for 5 years, but needs another 5 years to complete his epic walk. Kuno is not walking for a charity, just his own adventure.

You can find out more about Kuno by Googling. Here is one site:
Kuno Penner

Seeing Kuno's trailer made me think. Before starting the Via Francigena, I toyed with the idea of towing a cart, but gave it up. Today you can get reasonably light high-density batteries, and I wonder if anyone has tried to use an eBike drive for a cart? A battery boost would be a big help lugging a cart like Kuno's up hills. It's not so much a problem in Australia, but the PCT in the US is a different matter.

Best wishes
Bob M

Attachments

• Kuno Penner.jpg
    Kuno Penner.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 112
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
. . . but the PCT in the US is a different matter.

That gave me a giggle, Bob. I agree. I think that unless you can have attachments to float across numerous rivers and streams, attach skies for snow and crampons for ice on steep slopes, narrow the width of the wheel base on the fly to less than the width of the body for the narrow tails, extreme traction devices to scramble up rocky scree at 30%+ gradients. . . keeping the battery charged is the least of the logistical issue.

That, and absolutely no powered propulsion devices or bicycles are allowed on the National Scenic Trails like the PCT, CDT, or Appalachian trails. You are limited to carrying items on your back or by horse or mule or burro.

And llamas. However, a cranky llama will spit when upset and if I were a llama I would be spitting at everyone and everything if anyone dared put stuff on my back to carry. And if you tried to escape by walking behind me, well, be prepared to dodge my biological land mine piles. And don't even think about trying to give my coat a shearing.

For those with llamas, be thankful I am not a llama in your herd. :) .

That can also apply to any trail in America inside a designated 'Wilderness Area' like the Goat Rocks or the Henry Jackson Wilderness Areas. Also not they are not allowed on the trail systems within National Parks, like Mt Rainier or Yosemite, only on paved roads or paths.

A friend of mine is travelling in north Australia. He came across a long distance wanderer called Kuno Penner and stopped for a chat. Kuno is walking around the world and has completed 25 countries to date. He plans to go on to NZ (Te Araroa Trail) and finally to Patagonia from Alaska on the Pacific Coast Trail and then home.

Kuno (71 years old) has been on the road for 5 years, but needs another 5 years to complete his epic walk. Kuno is not walking for a charity, just his own adventure.

Kuno Penner

Seeing Kuno's trailer made me think. Before starting the Via Francigena, I toyed with the idea of towing a cart, but gave it up. Today you can get reasonably light high-density batteries, and I wonder if anyone has tried to use an eBike drive for a cart? A battery boost would be a big help lugging a cart like Kuno's up hills. It's not so much a problem in Australia, but the PCT in the US is a different matter.

Best wishes
Bob M
Wow! I meant someone like that too, on my way to Jerusalem.On the ferry from Turkey to Cyprus. She asled how many countries we had had been through, I think I said between about 10 or 11 (I can‘t remenber) and she had like 34!!!
Fabulous woman. I must try and get in contact with her again 😎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That gave me a giggle, Bob. I agree. I think that unless you can have attachments to float across numerous rivers and streams, attach skies for snow and crampons for ice on steep slopes, narrow the width of the wheel base on the fly to less than the width of the body for the narrow tails, extreme traction devices to scramble up rocky scree at 30%+ gradients. . . keeping the battery charged is the least of the logistical issue.

That, and absolutely no powered propulsion devices or bicycles are allowed on the National Scenic Trails like the PCT, CDT, or Appalachian trails. You are limited to carrying items on your back or by horse or mule or burro.

And llamas. However, a cranky llama will spit when upset and if I were a llama I would be spitting at everyone and everything if anyone dared put stuff on my back to carry. And if you tried to escape by walking behind me, well, be prepared to dodge my biological land mine piles. And don't even think about trying to give my coat a shearing.

For those with llamas, be thankful I am not a llama in your herd. :) .

That can also apply to any trail in America inside a designated 'Wilderness Area' like the Goat Rocks or the Henry Jackson Wilderness Areas. Also not they are not allowed on the trail systems within National Parks, like Mt Rainier or Yosemite, only on paved roads or paths.
Having walked chunks of the Te Araroa trail, towing that cart will not be possible. Although there are some more easily walked sections, some are even urban, as it travels the length of NZ - much is not. Expect some pretty rugged days. And there is a distinct lack of Llamas!

That is pretty much why I gave up on the cart idea, even though the model I looked at was a single-wheel version Dixon Roller Pack that could handle rough terrain. I may have posted here about it. In any case, the UK VF Association ran an article I wrote for them.

All these carts are worth considering if you are hiking basically on roads and not in wilderness areas.

Anyway, all food for thought.

Bob M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having walked chunks of the Te Araroa trail, towing that cart will not be possible. Although there are some more easily walked sections, some are even urban, as it travels the length of NZ - much is not. Expect some pretty rugged days. And there is a distinct lack of Llamas!
I have not talked with Kuno about his exact routes, but I imagine he will walk where his cart(s) will go, ie probably not the official TA route (or PCT route) for the reasons you state. He seems to use different versions of his cart.

Bob M

My bicycle weighs fifteen kilos. The trailer I towed (with my pack and such in it) weight 37 kilos. I weigh 85. I pedaled¹ up the fourteen percent grade from the Bilbao airport to the bus station. Going up to Alto del Perdón, I put the trailer on my back and walked the bike. I've towed it on many parts of Camino Francés and Via de la Plata, and from Santiago to Fisterra to Murcia. There are places too narrow, but somehow I found a way.

¹No electricity involved, though the following year, Brompton came out with an electric assist model.

My bicycle weighs fifteen kilos. The trailer I towed (with my pack and such in it) weight 37 kilos. I weigh 85. I pedaled¹ up the fourteen percent grade from the Bilbao airport to the bus station. Going up to Alto del Perdón, I put the trailer on my back and walked the bike. I've towed it on many parts of Camino Francés and Via de la Plata, and from Santiago to Fisterra to Murcia. There are places too narrow, but somehow I found a way.

¹No electricity involved, though the following year, Brompton came out with an electric assist model.
Well done!

Re putting the trailer on your back reminded me of a young guy I shared a stage with somewhere on the VF. I was hiking with my pack, he was cycling with a very light load, but it did include a guitar slung across his back. He would cycle out of sight on the easy sections, but I would catch him on narrow hilly sections, usually pushing his bike, but once he carried it up a very rough and muddy section of the 'path'.

I am a big fan of using technology to ease hiking. If an inventive, mechanically-minded hiker (there are plenty) can cobble together an electric-assist cart, go for it. Maybe you can even use modern, high-efficiency solar panels to keep the battery topped up - as well as for cooking. Surely you can get light-weight electric cookers that will run off a power-drill battery and won't burn the tent down!

Okay, I know it is all extra weight and stuff that can (possibly will) go wrong. Just dump the guitar.

Bob M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should purchase the books written by Sarah Marquis, a very close friend if ours. This lady walked for three years and over 10,000 miles alone. I was always envious of her expedition's.

Kuno Penner

Best wishes
Bob M
Goodness! What an inspiration! Can we talk a bit further on this? This is a long time dream of mine and I suspect to others deep inside:) I’ve been wanting to connect with individuals that share the same passion and that can shed a light on the matter..🙏🏻

Goodness! What an inspiration! Can we talk a bit further on this? This is a long time dream of mine and I suspect to others deep inside:) I’ve been wanting to connect with individuals that share the same passion and that can shed a light on the matter..🙏🏻
Always happy to help. I have sent you an email address to make things simpler.

Bob M

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had another chat with my friend who met Kuno Penner to get some more details. The flat slab on top of Kuno's cart is a solar array. He has rigged up a hand controller with a rheostat that he can simply press if he wants a power boost on hills. It's not simply 'on-off', Kuno can vary the boost.

Apparently Kuno's first cart was stolen early in his epic journey, so he had to fly home and build a new one.

I am mightily impressed with people like Kuno. There are a few on Ivar's forum that I won't embarrass by outing them. Unfortunately, they also make me feel totally inadequate. I won't delve into the psychology of all that.

Bob M

Last edited:
Wow! I meant someone like that too, on my way to Jerusalem.On the ferry from Turkey to Cyprus. She asled how many countries we had had been through, I think I said between about 10 or 11 (I can‘t remenber) and she had like 34!!!
Fabulous woman. I must try and get in contact with her again 😎
Would love to hear more about your way to Jerusalem, domigee. Would you please share your itinerary?

I am a big fan of using technology to ease hiking. If an inventive, mechanically-minded hiker (there are plenty) can cobble together an electric-assist cart, go for it. Maybe you can even use modern, high-efficiency solar panels to keep the battery topped up - as well as for cooking. Surely you can get light-weight electric cookers that will run off a power-drill battery and won't burn the tent down!
A fellow came to our albergue one afternoon on a bike that had more than a square meter of solar panels draped over his panniers. The didn't help with pedaling, but they did keep his various tools and extra batteries charged up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Kuno Penner

Best wishes
Bob M
That's so cool. Thanks for posting.

Not a bad way to pass your retirement, in my opinion. (I knew of someone who did something similar in that he would book a last minute cheap ride on a tramp steamer and just go where it went.) Nice Boabab tree in the photo background too. I do have a concern with it though, in that he appears to be walking on or on the verge of a country road/highway. Not a safe option in Australia, especially in the Northern Territory where there are no speed limits outside towns.

I knew of someone who did something similar in that he would book a last minute cheap ride on a tramp steamer and just go where it went.) Nice Boabab tree in the photo background too. I do have a concern with it though, in that he appears to be walking on or on the verge of a country road/highway. Not a safe option in Australia, especially in the Northern Territory where there are no speed limits outside towns.
Boabab trees are one more bit of evidence that Australia was once connected to Africa. Before my time.

Kuno was indeed walking on a typical 'outback' road in the north of Australia. One of the biggest concerns hiking or cycling these remote roads is having to take cover when a 'road train' hurtles past with a load of cattle. They are pretty daunting for drivers as well.

Bob M

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.