• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long Dry Stages?

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
Hi!

I've read some of the posts on "Bottles v Hydration Packs", much of which appears to comes down to personal preference.

I was wondering if some of the "old hands", have found any stages where 2 x 600 ml bottles would not be adequate in May/June?

Col

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You're right, it is an individual choice. It also depends on the route. On the Camino Frances there are regular fuentes to top up bottles. On other routes I've carried 2 - 3 litres of water in bottles at the hieght of summer. I don't like hydration packs but many people swear by them.

Col
The only waterless etapas I can think of are the long one between Carrion and Calzadilla de la Cueza, and the long countryside alternate way after Irache/Estella on to Los Arcos. If you take the Roman Road between Calzadilla de Hermanillos and Mansilla, you WILL need to carry lots of water.

And if you´re taking the Camino Aragones, it´s important to keep enough water on you, as all the villages (and fuentes) are on the hillsides. All the crap you hear about bad water on the Meseta is just that: crap.

Reb.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Col,

On the Camino Frances I have only carried a on litre Neoprine (I think that is the right word - the really hard plastic ones that you can do a war dance on and they still remain intact!) bottle which I wear attached to my belt. It is easy to remove and fill up, drink from and so on. I have a small soft drink bottle in my pack for the rare stretches when I might need another water bottle. Whenever I stop for a coffee I always get a glass of water too.

Cheers, Janet

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks JW, Reb & Janet.

Advice much appreciated.

Col

I'm one for bottles. Hydration packs are good for cyclists, but they taste funny! How about a couple of Sigg bottles tucked into the side pockets of your sack?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
in addition to your base supply (2 Sigg bottles, at least 0.6L each) you should probably have an emergency bottle of at least a litre (only fill when needed for long or dry stages - this can be a regular plastic bottle or, in my case, the platypus containers that pack flat when empty and weigh very little) - and bear in mind that carrying a little too much water is much better than running out, particularly in the summer

although I'm leaning against hydration packs because they're more awkward to re-fill I found that I tended to use less water with them because I was sipping small amounts more frequently rather than larger gulps from the bottles less frequently

I carried ONE one-liter bottle of water and had no problems filling it up along the way.
The only place you might need to carry TWO would be on the Meseta, but even there, I had no problems. There are plenty of fountains along the Camino Frances.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back