• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long lasting Bar Soap?

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
From previous experience, most comercial bar soaps turn into a soft mush when when kept in a plastic bag/container in your packpack., the soap in this state does not last long.

Is the a particular type/brand of bar soap that resists turning to mush and lasts for a reasonable time?

thanks

Frank

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a bar of soap (Lux or Country Life) from Australia for all my washing - body, hair and laundry and when that ran out I bought a repalcement locally from any supermarket. Dove is the most common in Spain. I kept it in a soap container and they never turned to mush, but each night I put it under my bed with the lid of the soap container slightly open for the soap to dry a little, and in the morning closed the lid and packed it away with the rest of my toilet things in a plastic resealable bag in my backpack. David

Most commercial soap does turn to mush. look for handmade soap. I make a bar of soap out of oils that when combined make the soap hard (coconut oil); good for your skin (olive oil); hair conditioning (olive,rice bran oils and raw silk fibers); I also add clay to use it for shaving. Each hand made soap uses different combinations of oils with coconut being the hardest but also the most drying so it shouldnt be more than 25% of the soap.

I put it into a mesh bag made out of no see um mosquito netting which also doubles as scrubbie of sorts. Then it hangs in that to dry out and one bar (5 ounces) lasts the whole distance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a big fan of the soap bars from Lush. They make a shampoo soap bar I am in love with! They come in light metal tins that can be left open at night to dry. anniesantiago also posted elsewhere a type of soap that might meet your needs. I think she said it can be bought in stores specializing in Mexican food. I can't recall the name but it was in the "How to Wash Clothes" thread in the Camino Frances area.

Ivory in a Ziplok bag. Open the bag when possible to let the bar dry, and it won't turn to mush.

I carried Liggets Shampoo Bar in a plastic soap container that clipped to the outside of my pack, allowing it to air dry. This bar was awesome for bathing AND shampooing and worth every penny, i my opinion. One bar lasted the entire Camino.

I see they now make a little yellow pouch to carry it in while backpacking which might even be better than the plastic!

There are many sources for it, and you can explore for your own. But here is a link so you can see it

http://www.jrliggett.com/

Attachments

• air_friendly.jpg
    air_friendly.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,106
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second the Liggett's. It lasted my entire Camino (from SJPP to Santiago and then some). I cannot use regular bath soap on my hair as it is too drying.

Thanks for the link! I am going to have to check that out. I am still trialing the Lush bars....so far, so good.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I typically bring Dr Bonners Castile Liquid soap, you can get it small bottles (or buy some small ones) it is very concentrated, all natural, and is good for hair, skin. The pepperment is invigorating also! It is about the same weight as a bar of soap and a soap box.

Hello

I went to a Canadian camping store, MEC, and bought some inexpensive concentrated "Camp Suds, which I used for alll my washing needs, dishes, laundry and me and they worked fine and lasted a long long time such that I brought some home with me. Of course as it is a liquid you have to pack it in your carry on lluggage.

John

tiagorosado said:
Hi!

Take a small bar soap of your choosing. After it runs out, buy another on any convenience store - it it's too big cut it in half and leave on a albergue. This way you don't have height issues, ave always fresh soaps :) and less thing's to bother on your mind!!

Tiagorosado - I completely agree with you! Anne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Same here Tiago!
And I still remember the sheer joy of being able to use shampoo after five weeks on the Camino. My partner drove up to Compostela and brought my shampoo ( and a nice skirt and dress ). What luxury!
Hair looked like straw after all that time... 8)

I will also take Dr Bronner's castille soap. I use it normally for hair (as shampoo) and body wash, you can concentrate it down with water, you don't need much at all!

I've heard that a 7.5 oz bar of Aleppo 30% laurel in a mesh baggie is wonderful. I had originally planned on taking separate shampoo, conditioner, soap and shaving cream, but I'm looking to keep weight of my kit low (not to mention free of exploding Barbosol :oops: ). I have heard that the 30% laurel is also better at cleaning as an antiseptic? What say you, veterans of the Camino?

De Colores, Buen Camino y ULTREYA!
WanderingChristian

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To make soap last longer buy it as long as you can before you go, store it and it will dry out, get harder and then last longer, or dig some soap out of the back of the cupboard and take it.

This goes for all soaps, because they are manufactured as a wet mix and progressively dry out over months. One hand-made soap I bought from a local market was still fairly wet inside (though hard on the outside) when I cut it in half. Commercial soaps aren't that wet, but they do get dryer and harder over many months/years (!).

The info below is from a soap manufacturer's web site.

From http://www.pental.com.au/advice-centre/soap
>Q. Why is the bar soaps becoming softer?
>A. This is a supply and demand situation, in more recent times the soap is being delivered to the >supermarkets within three months (green soap) of manufacture; in previous times the soap would be >approximately one year old and would lose a lot of moisture making the bar hard and more resistant >to absorption of water in the home use.

Thanks to all for sharing your ideas and experience.

you can buy soap here in Spain. A lot of Spanish pilgrims use jabon de Marsella, the original "Castile" soap, which can be used for hair, skin, laundry, etc., carved up and carried about. It is very cheap, too, and widely available. Popular brand name is Legarto. Get the brown kind. The green is for floors!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.