• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long queues to enter the cathedral and Portico tickets sold out for 2 weeks

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A local TV station has reported that there are still long queues to enter the Cathedral despite the suspension of services while repair work is in progress. People still want to hug the Apostle! The text accompanying the video also notes that tickets to view the recently restored Portico da Gloria have already sold out for the next two weeks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For what it is worth, the FIRST 25 pilgrims in queue to be seen each morning, Monday - Saturday, are offered a FREE pass to visit the Portico de la Gloria. On Sunday, the free passes go to local residents.

This means you must be on the line outside the pilgrims office when they open at 08:00. Then you must proceed directly down to the waiting area room where the queue number dispensing kiosks are, then you must have number 0001 - 0025.

Sometimes people actually refuse this as they have inflexible plans. So on some days, the staff need to go higher than the first 25 pilgrims to give these free passes away.

These free tours are generally at 19:00.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is that the queue at the Pilgrims Office you are referring to or at the Catedral?

A local TV station has reported that there are still long queues to enter the Cathedral despite the suspension of services while repair work is in progress. People still want to hug the Apostle! The text accompanying the video also notes that tickets to view the recently restored Portico da Gloria have already sold out for the next two weeks.

I am not sure whether the note about the tours of the Portico being sold out for two weeks means that they have opened up more tours and sold them out, but when I was there in July, the online reservations were full, but every day they opened up new tours for walk-ins, so it is worth checking. I’ve given other suggestions in this post as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've always gotten there first thing in the morning, a few minutes before they open to get a good place in line to hug the Apostle AND at the Pilgrim Office.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The OP was about the cathedral:

It was also about the lines for the Porto - T2Andreo pointed out a way to avoid that two week wait. We were fortunate to be among the first 10 (technically, 3-5) in line at the Pilgrim's Office the other day and got tickets to the Portico. Others turned down the tickets, so even a guy who was 37th in line at the Pilgrim's Office in the morning was able to get a ticket. Well worth it (but, we were in line at the Pilgrim's Office at 6:30 AM and by 7:00 AM their were already about 20 people in line - so, just a head's up). The tour is at 19:00 (7 PM) - no photos and you can't put your hand on the column (I so badly wanted to do that, but...)

Also, if you go to the Cathedral in the morning (fairly early), the wait to get in is not long - maybe 3-4 minutes to get past security, with about a 20-30 minute wait to see the statue and crypt (we went in sometime between 9:30 and 10:30 on Monday).

So there are no pilgrims masses being said, or any other mass ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So there are no pilgrims masses being said, or any other mass ?
From the Cathedral website:
Due to restoration works inside the Cathedral, masses are celebrated in other churches in the city:
-Iglesia de San Francisco: Daily Pilgrim’s Mass – 12:00 am noon
-Iglesia de San Fiz de Solovio: Daily Pilgrim’s Mass – 7:00 pm, with Pilgrim Prayer (from Monday to Saturday).
-Iglesia de Santa María Salomé:
From Monday to Friday: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 7:00 pm
Saturdays: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 6:00 pm, 7:00 pm
Sundays: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 7:00 pm
-Chapel of la Corticela: Every day – 11:00 am

If you need information, Lucy, it's all out there - have fun planning:

Perhaps ten days ago now, Don Segundo Lopez-Perez, the Dean of the Cathedral for all things Pilgrim related, and whose signature is on EVERY certificate issued at the Pilgrim Office, was interviewed and quoted in La Voz de Galicia - Santiago edition - that they were hoping to have the Cathedral reopen for Masses by “...early in 2020...”

That is what I read while I was there...

My own observation is that this projection might be optimistic. In reply, I would suggest that, to get the most “bang for the buck” they might slide the official, ceremonial reopening, with pomp, splendor, and attending dignitaries until the Feast of Santiago on 25 July 2020. I believe this will be a Saturday in 2020. For reference, the Holy Year is the NEXT YEAR, 2021.

IMHO, everyone ”wins” in this scenario. Remember, while the visible renovations are on the outside, every nook and cranny of the INSIDE must be dusted, cleaned, and / or restored. This is what occurred at the Portico de la Gloria.

Every cherub, angel, organ pipe, lighting fixture and altarpiece must be brought up to renovated status. To be sure, this work started as soon as the outer shell was completed and weatherproof. That is what has been going on behind all the scaffolding and plastic sheeting inside the Cathedral. This has been occurring for several years now.

Moreover, all the pews, confessional boxes and other wooden fixtures, chandeliers, the Botafumeiro, etc. that were removed are being restored off site.

There is a LOT going on. There are MANY THINGS that could cause what Don Segundo said in all sincerity to occur later.

That is why I am putting my money (figuratively) on a grand-reopening next 25 July.

If you plan to be in Santiago around then, BOOK A ROOM NOW!

Hope this helps...

Perhaps ten days ago now, Don Segundo Lopez-Perez, the Dean of the Cathedral for all things Pilgrim related, and whose signature is on EVERY certificate issued at the Pilgrim Office, was interviewed and quoted in La Voz de Galicia - Santiago edition - that they were hoping to have the Cathedral reopen for Masses by “...early in 2020...”

That is what I read while I was there...

My own observation is that this projection might be optimistic. In reply, I would suggest that, to get the most “bang for the buck” they might slide the official, ceremonial reopening, with pomp, splendor, and attending dignitaries until the Feast of Santiago on 25 July 2020. I believe this will be a Saturday in 2020. For reference, the Holy Year is the NEXT YEAR, 2021.

IMHO, everyone ”wins” in this scenario. Remember, while the visible renovations are on the outside, every nook and cranny of the INSIDE must be dusted, cleaned, and / or restored. This is what occurred at the Portico de la Gloria.

Every cherub, angel, organ pipe, lighting fixture and altarpiece must be brought up to renovated status. To be sure, this work started as soon as the outer shell was completed and weatherproof. That is what has been going on behind all the scaffolding and plastic sheeting inside the Cathedral. This has been occurring for several years now.

Moreover, all the pews, confessional boxes and other wooden fixtures, chandeliers, the Botafumeiro, etc. that were removed are being restored off site.

There is a LOT going on. There are MANY THINGS that could cause what Don Segundo said in all sincerity to occur later.

That is why I am putting my money (figuratively) on a grand-reopening next 25 July.

If you plan to be in Santiago around then, BOOK A ROOM NOW!

Hope this helps...
I imagine you are all booked in, Sheriff? Hope your homeward trip was safe and uneventful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup, “El Sherif” has TWO reservations. One, if I go alone, and a second if my wife makes good on her previous intention to accompany me... with the cat... I am prepared...

I made both reservations, in person, before I left Santiago last week. They will be confirmed, maintained, or canceled as needed over the coming months.

I heed my own advice...

😲 Must be an August thing. Last week in May, got a free ticket for the Portico and I’m pretty sure I wasn’t one of the first 25. No line for the cathedral either, just walked in & filed past the Apostle, clicked a few cheeky photos of the reliquary, no crowds (late afternoon).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yup, “El Sherif” has TWO reservations. One, if I go alone, and a second if my wife makes good on her previous intention to accompany me... with the cat... I am prepared...

I made both reservations, in person, before I left Santiago last week. They will be confirmed, maintained, or canceled as needed over the coming months.

I heed my own advice...
The cat?

Yup, “she who must be obeyed” said she WAS coming next summer as a “tag along” not specifically to work. However, she also said the cat was coming too, if she came.

Said cat is a pedigreed Ragdoll kitten, one-year old on 3 September. We’ve owned cats for 40 years. Several have traveled internationally with us. So we know the drill.

Personally, there is only a 50/50 chance of this happening. Namely, because the cat is still growing AND putting on weight. From what I can tell, it is ALL lean muscle mass. But once she hits 7 kg, (16 pounds) in her carry-on carrier kennel, she is too big to travel in the cabin. That means she, and my wife, will be staying home again.

Because there is a real chance of going solo again, I made a second, solo accommodation reservation... I always have a Plan B.

Either way, I am prepared...

Hi all, just found out my Camino companion is no longer able to walk with me. I now have A spare ticket for the combined tour of the Portica da Gloria at 17:30 on October 13th. Let me know if anyone is interested.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yup, “she who must be obeyed” said she WAS coming next summer as a “tag along” not specifically to work. However, she also said the cat was coming too, if she came.

Said cat is a pedigreed Ragdoll kitten, one-year old on 3 September. We’ve owned cats for 40 years. Several have traveled internationally with us. So we know the drill.

Personally, there is only a 50/50 chance of this happening. Namely, because the cat is still growing AND putting on weight. From what I can tell, it is ALL lean muscle mass. But once she hits 7 kg, (16 pounds) in her carry-on carrier kennel, she is too big to travel in the cabin. That means she, and my wife, will be staying home again.

Because there is a real chance of going solo again, I made a second, solo accommodation reservation... I always have a Plan B.

Either way, I am prepared...
😂😂😂😂😂

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back