• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long sleeved pack/body poncho

Rob Richards

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk September 2017
Hi there.
As a new pilgrim preparing for an adventure along the Camino De Santiago I have been looking around the usual web sites for a long sleeved light weight poncho to cover myself and my pack.
I have not been successful so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I will be travelling Sept/October so it's a must I think.
Thank you.
RMR

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ferrino or Altus manufacture those, if you tell us where you are located we could help you even better ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there.
As a new pilgrim preparing for an adventure along the Camino De Santiago I have been looking around the usual web sites for a long sleeved light weight poncho to cover myself and my pack.
Thank you.
RMR

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum!

Yep, a decent poncho is an excellent piece of kit, after walking for a few months I was converted myself. And donated my Gortex jacket away. However, like most things don't buy a cheap one. I have witnessed cheap ponchos literally fall apart in windy conditions. In my opinion (just my opinion) two of the best are the Spanish made Altus or the Italian Ferrino Trekker. A bit expensive but they work and have the added advantage of front opening, easier to put on and can wear open for ventilation between downpours. You can buy both in SJPdP but they may be cheaper online, depending where you are from. The sizes relate to pack size also mind you. I bought the Ferrino, and I am very glad i did!

Davey

Yep, a decent poncho is an excellent piece of kit, after walking for a few months I was converted myself. And donated my Gortex jacket away. However, like most things don't buy a cheap one. I have witnessed cheap ponchos literally fall apart in windy conditions. In my opinion (just my opinion) two of the best are the Spanish made Altus or the Italian Ferrino Trekker. A bit expensive but they work and have the added advantage of front opening, easier to put on and can wear open for ventilation between downpours. You can buy both in SJPdP but they may be cheaper online, depending where you are from. The sizes relate to pack size also mind you. I bought the Ferrino, and I am very glad i did!

Davey
Thank you.
The Ferrino seems to be a quick majority favorite so I will explore my options online and see what I can find here in Canada.
I appreciate the lightning fast responses,pretty amazing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you.
The Ferrino seems to be a quick majority favorite so I will explore my options online and see what I can find here in Canada.

Its because we are Camino addicts. If we are not walking we are on here. Sad but true!

Good luck hunting, but don't be surprised if some of our Canadian family can help you out more.

Anything you need to know its probably on this forum, or just ask

Buen Camino
Davey

Edit: I have heard no complaints from Altus owners either

Davey

Hi Davey,

Any idea of the ponchos's prices in SJPP ? For budgeting purpose. Thank you!

Hi Davey,

Any idea of the ponchos's prices in SJPP ? For budgeting purpose. Thank you!

Hi Andrea,

Both the Altus and Ferrino were around 65 Euro's if I remember rightly. Expensive I think but then SJPdP generally is. Probably cheaper off the internet, but at least in SJPdP you can try them on and compare. I bought my Ferrino there, but I still think they are worth every penny.

Buen Camino
Davey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there.
Thank you.
RMR
Hi Rob I am from Manitoa , last year I walked the Camino Portugues,and my Ferrino Trecker worked very well even walking through tropical storm Henri. They are available on amazon.ca for about $ 61.00.
Buen Camino

Question about the Ferrino. The reviews say it has a silver reflective lining. Does that lend itself to overheating or condensation?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Question about the Ferrino. The reviews say it has a silver reflective lining. Does that lend itself to overheating or condensation?

Hello Judy
there is always some condensation wearing a waterproof while hiking but I haven't found it too much of a problem in my Ferrino. My old Gortex jacket was much much worse. Remember, a jacket is worn under your rucksack so it is tight against your body, the beauty of a poncho over your pack is that you have much more room and air can circulate.
Hope this helps
Davey

Hello Judy
there is always some condensation wearing a waterproof while hiking but I haven't found it too much of a problem in my Ferrino. My old Gortex jacket was much much worse. Remember, a jacket is worn under your rucksack so it is tight against your body, the beauty of a poncho over your pack is that you have much more room and air can circulate.
Hope this helps
Davey

Thank you, Davey. I can get a Ferrino in the States from the Trek Inn website so I think I'll give it a try. Since the back can be fastened to be worn without a backpack, it sounds like it would be a great rain jacket to take on vacation.

The Ferrino only comes in two sizes: S/M and L/XL. I'm 5' 7" and weigh 140 pounds. My assumption is the S/M will fit?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yes, I love my Ferrino Trekker to bits, but only in the cooler seasons because of that. On the other hand when climbing up O Cebrero in a snowstorm you sure love the silver lining ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hi there.
Thank you.
RMR

Hi Rob,

I'm sure you already have gotten a lot of responses, just adding... Do not underestimate an umbrella.

I do bring a poncho myself. But I find them quite annoying: the "lighter" ones don't protect from heavy rain. The thicker ones makes you sweat and you get as wet on the inside of your poncho as if you would have been unprotected in the rain. I find this really annoying... Sure, ponchos also protect from the wind/the cold. But I've gotten really tired of the sweat thing.

So whenever I can, I fish out my umbrella before my poncho. It keeps my upper body dry and no sweating, just refreshing with the wind. And free sight: no struggling with the hood of the poncho that always bar my sight. In heavier rain I put on my poncho and I have double protection.

Just a thought!

BP

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Rob, I agree with BP regarding the umbrella. Served me well on the camino. I have used an Altus poncho on all may caminos and I am very happy with it.

Petro

YES!!! My wife wore her Ferrino in June/July of this year and was overheating. I believe she would have been much happier with a lighter weight rain poncho like the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil rain poncho ... or possibly the Packa noted in a prior post.

The Ferrino poncho is also heavier than the sum total of the rain paints & rain jacket that I had for myself

You can open a Ferrino to vent but if it is raining hard with blowing then you end up getting wet.

The obvious advantage of the various brands of ponchos is that they are easy to put on, cover you & your pack. They are also cheap. A good poncho is about $50-$80 depending upon brand. A good rain jacket costs about $250, rain pants another $100. So ponchos are the budget option.

Unlike the folks who are sold on the ponchos for rain gear I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and prefer HIGH QUALITY rain pants and rain jackets. The cost for quality rain pants and jackets is much higher than the cost of a poncho, so that is a downside. But the rain jacket doubles as a casual wind breaker, works well as a light insulation layer on cool mornings, is smart looking around town in the evening. So it does many jobs.

Choose a poncho if you wish. It is easy and offers more coverage in the rain. But I'll take a pack cover, rain jacket & rain paints. I believe my wife is switching back to her Marmot rain pants and rain jacket for our next trip.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Hi Rob, not sure where in BC you are. I'm in Victoria and found a good one at MEC, but sorry don't have the brand name. You could go on MEC's website. Welcome to the forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rob, I agree with BP regarding the umbrella. Served me well on the camino. I have used an Altus poncho on all may caminos and I am very happy with it.

Petro

I am also an umbrella convert. Last year I carried my trusty Euroschirm hands free hiking brolly. Good in the rain of course (and the Euroschirm is good in moderate winds), and truly a blessing under the Spanish sun - it meant I didn't need to wear a hat. And it meant I carried my own shelter so I could take a break anywhere in any weather. \This year I needed to replace it and bought the silver version for added UV protection. Good piece of kit

Davey

Last edited:
I am also an umbrella convert. Last year I carried my trusty Euroschirm hands free hiking brolly. Good in the rain of course (and the Euroschirm is good in moderate winds), and truly a blessing under the Spanish sun - it meant I didn't need to wear a hat. And it meant I carried my own shelter so I could take a break anywhere in any weather.his year I needed to replace it and bought the silver version for added UV protection. Good piece of kit

Davey

Oh, hadn't seen that one, hands-free! Looks like my next step! :O)

BP

Hi there.
Thank you.
RMR
Hi, IKEA do a poncho but it is not that waterproof

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, IKEA do a poncho but it is not that waterproof

Hi Halkida

Yes my friend had an Ikea poncho on the Primitivo, it didn't last long! And I saw a few of them in rubbish bins in albergues. Probably ok for strolling to the shops but not for hiking!

Davey

I use a Rohan poncho. Not cheap and maybe not easy to get in Canada. Just my 2p.

I use a Rohan poncho. Not cheap and maybe not easy to get in Canada. Just my 2p.

The old Rohan ponchos were wonderful, then they changed the design and fit. The new ones didn't work so well :( and then they changed again, making them shorter and too narrow to go over a pack :(:(. We checked them out as we had been recommending them too @hampshire!tim . They are currently discontinued. We are looking after our original ones for Spain and use the 2nd style at home for practise walks.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.