• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long sleeves shirt during summer

brooklyngirl813

Time of past OR future Camino
August to September (2013)
I'm walking the Camino Frances from SJPP August to September and intend to wear lightweight , moisturewicking longsleeves ( capilene 1 shirts) with SPF 15 . Is it too hot? Should I opt to wear short sleeves? Love to hear your thoughts on this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was worried about getting burnt as I am very fair skinned, but I walked in June/July and opted for short sleeves and was glad for it. I applied sunscreen twice a day and never got burnt. It was often over 35deg and I think I'd have ripped sleeves off if I had any it was so hot! Plus I like having free wrists, just a personal preference, I often push my sleeves up unless it's freezing in winter.

Great topic & information. I will be on my Camino in July 2013. I was wondering whether to bring any pants or stick with shorts & skorts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am walking the lást week of August and thru September with a wiking cami underneath a sunscreen Columbia long sleeve shirt. I think a good compromiso ?

There are long sleeve winter shirts and long sleeve summer shirts.

Ask yourself if people that traditionally lived in the deserts did they run around in shorts and sleeveless? Or did they keep the sun off?

Then you've got to figure in things like humidity.

If it's dry a linen shirt is good. If it's humid nothing will save me :roll:

My favorite for the hot summer walking days are the "fly fishing" shirts, at least one size larger, lots of pockets and the sleeves do roll up .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stlrms said:
I was wondering whether to bring any pants or stick with shorts & skorts.
How about a light weight pants that converts into shorts? I got the lightweight patagonia solimar pants. Its so lightweight and converts into capri. I also got the Macabi skirt. It converts into pants and shorts but looks funny. I will probably just use it as a skirt. It's very comfortable.

Lise T said:
Don't take white. That Camino dust gets into everything and if you have a white shirt or white socks...they wont be that way for long.: .

Good advise on the white. I initially preferred white as it always feels cooler than dark colored fabric.

brooklyngirl813 said:
I'm walking the Camino Frances from SJPP August to September and intend to wear lightweight , moisturewicking longsleeves ( capilene 1 shirts) with SPF 15 . Is it too hot? Should I opt to wear short sleeves? Love to hear your thoughts on this.

I think it's probably a personal preference. Most people seem to prefer the short sleeves and shorts, but I hate the sun and always wore long sleeves and long pants. And also a hat with a wide brim which I'd put over a handkerchief that would drape over the back of my neck to keep the sun off that. And I took some lightweight gloves, cut off the fingers and cut out the palm of the hands which I would wear to keep the sun off the back of my hands.

Pretty much the skin that ever touched direct sunlight was my face and my fingers. Due to those gloves with the fingers cut off, I actually had tan lines on my fingers!

I basically wore that outfit the entire distance--including through miserably hot weather (about 100 F or 40 C). I did the same thing hiking through the Mojave Desert during my Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike. Only when I was in deep forest where little sunlight reached the ground would I walk without the long sleeved shirt.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-5_WJbiXQlfM/UEeRB2k3KVI/AAAAAAAADbs/Nj1jN9yB_rA/s1600-h/Dscn9578b3.jpg: A self-portrait. The temperatures were probably about 90 F (30 C) when I took this photo.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-GtaT7kM5SAQ/UEYpFk_FthI/AAAAAAAADWg/-ZGE0dcpvIQ/s1600-h/Dscn9410b3.jpg: This photo I show because you can see the handkerchief under my hat that keeps the sun off the back of my neck and the glove on one hand where I cut off the fingers. (The palm of it is also cut out, but I don't have any good photos of that.)

Dscn4837b_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

When I reached Muxia, I took off my little "glovelets" and ran my fingers through the sand on the beach. I'm including this photo because you can actually see the tan lines on my fingers. =) I didn't even realize it when I took the photo, but I love the tan lines. They still make me laugh. =)

Anyhow.... if you want to hike with a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt, by all means, it's certainly doable! The sun is evil. *nodding*

-- Ryan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
13214_tapahv2_477.png

I have this shirt (bought on sale at a much reduced price) and love the visors that come down over the hands. Sleeves do roll up if you want them to and have tabs to hold them up, but I'm a keep-the-sleeves-down-gal...ESPECIALLY in the sun.

Green Tortuga said:
I basically wore that outfit the entire distance--including through miserably hot weather (about 100 F or 40 C). I

If you consider that your body temp is 38ishC then baring skin in 40+ temps can't cool you off.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
NicoZ said:
If you consider that your body temp is 38ishC then baring skin in 40+ temps can't cool you off.

When it's that hot, I'd dunk my shirt, hat, and handkerchief in water at every opportunity and wear them wet. They'd be dry again within a half hour, but oh.... it felt so good while it lasted. =)

-- Ryan

Thanks. I'm bringing both long sleeves and short sleeves. I found Columbia shirts with UPF 50 sun protection, omnifreeze ( Claims that fabric reacts to sweat and makes you coo) as well as moisture wicking. I found arm sleeves made of same fabric so I can wear it with my short sleeves or take off if it's uncomfortable.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.