Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long stage with no food and drink

jimsheppard

Walking since 2011
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi pelegrinos
Please be aware that from Villaviciosa to La Carcava there are currently no open shops, Cafes or Restaurants. Bar at La Carcava is the first opportunity to buy food and drink. If you want to avoid 4 to 5 hours without refreshment then buy food in Villaviciosa.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi pelegrinos
Please be aware that from Villaviciosa to La Carcava there are currently no open shops, Cafes or Restaurants. Bar at La Carcava is the first opportunity to buy food and drink. If you want to avoid 4 to 5 hours without refreshment then buy food in Villaviciosa.
Thank you so much this is the info that is gold information that we need Buen Camino

Having just returned from walking the Primitivo starting from Oviedo, I would add that it is always a good idea to have a few bits and pieces of food with you at all times. Bars are unevenly spaced, to put it mildly, and Sundays and fiestas complicate things.

For example, I walked the Hospitales route, starting at Campiello. I thought I'd have a coffee at Borres, the last stop before over 25km with nothing. The bar was not open when I went past, so no caffeine for me that day.

Another dry start was from Castroverde, where the coffee machine next to the albergue was out of water. First bar was over 10km further.

That said, there are some wonderful places to stop and have a picnic along the way!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just finished the Primitivo on Saturday. You can read my entries on live from the Camino. Water and food sources are very far between. We carried 3 liters of water each, and glad we need. We had to ask people for water twice because of the lack of fountains and bars. It's very hot right now.

Last edited:
On ALL caminos I advise to carry snacks and plenty of water. 2 litres per person is a good quantity, 3 isn't excessive in hot weather. My favoured snacks are salted almonds and dried figs, as they don't melt or spoil, and the fruit sugar and salt together with the water are good for keeping your electrolytes balanced.

The French Way is really the exception when it comes to facilities, and everyone doing their first pilgrimage after only doing the French Way should plan for this.

We carried chocolate bars. In ziplock bags. It was hysterical eating them :) we'd freeze them at night and they'd last until noon.
We also carried jamón serrano for a quick breakfast in the early morning before anything opened.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back