• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long Term Parking Leon

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
What is it they say about best laid plans?

A year ago (A YEAR!) I booked cover for time off in September and October so that I could walk Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo... this has not been a good year for us and I have been so looking forward to this walk. 2 days ago I learned that my cover can't 'cover' and I have 3 weeks not 5 :oops:. We've spend a couple of days trying to figure a plan for maximum walking for 18 days and we think we'll still do San Salvador and Primitivo... but we need to park somewhere in Leon.

So after my long intro... the parking at Leon station is 1€ an hour... so over 3 weeks it's pretty expensive! Can anyone recommend an alternative parking place for us that wont run into the 100s?

many thanks for any suggestions! :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, LesBrass, So sorry to hear your news, but being able to walk the Salvador/Primitivo is not a bad consolation prize!

When I walked the Salvador way back when, a friend from Madrid drove up to walk with me and parked in a big lot in front of the Delegación Territorial de la Junta, which is right next to the river where the Salvador leaves along the side of the parador. I’ve attached a google maps shot. I also checked to see if it was still open for free parking, and I came up with this article that confirms that it is, and also describes more free parking places in León.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• 03E610F7-E8C2-4D05-9B00-E9CB89E181FD.png
    03E610F7-E8C2-4D05-9B00-E9CB89E181FD.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
That's a very nice find, right at the beginning of Salvador :)

And @LesBrass if you need overnight stay before you begin Salvador (and if you don't want to splurge in Parador) there's pretty nice Hostal Don Suero just 5 minutes walk from the parking lot. CF is coming down that street to San Marcos in front of the Hostal. It has restaurante and bar but there are plenty others in vicinity.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@peregrina2000 and @KinkyOne - that's a great find but I think we're now going to do the Ingles and Primitivo. The San Salvador was just a day too long (I did try to delete the post but couldn't see how to? sorry!)

I don't suppose you could find me a similar parking spot in Ferrol could you? :);)

I thought that Ingles from Ferrol took about as long to walk as the San Salvador, especially since you have to budget some additional transport time in there? Of course there is another reason to avoid San Salvador at the beginning of a Camino... ⛰🏔⛰

Which is exactly why I am planning to do your original routing of Madrid to San Salvador to Primitivo.

Well, @LesBrass, I will agree with what @Richard Ward just said. Especially if you add in a day for travel, the Inglés plus Primitivo is not going to be any shorter than most people would take on the Salvador plus Primitivo. Inglés from Ferrol is about 110, Salvador is about 120. Gronze lists five stages for the Inglés. It’s been a long time since I was there, but I remember being essentially locked into those stages because of accommodations, but maybe that has changed and you will do it in 4. I think most people walk the Salvador in 4 or 5 days. It’s true that there is more elevation gain, but the terrain of the Salvador is absolutely stunning in several parts. The Inglés has the nice towns of Betanzos and Pontedeume, but my memory (again, things may have changed) was that I had to walk through a LOT of eucalyptus forests.

Actually, I am just trying to find a way to avoid having to look for free parking in Ferrol.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
;) :D Oh my... now I'm confused!

I think we'd kind of settled on the Ingles and Primitivo but I have to say I like the idea of just continuing... keep on walking rather than getting a train (and free parking!)! I'll revisit the schedule and see how it fits. Certainly one of the reasons I wanted to walk the San Salvador was the amazing views; It just looks so stunning! I'll go back to my spreadsheet... although Gerry has become quite keen about the prospect of pulpo on the Ingles!

Thank you so much for these ideas and suggestions... I will revisit our plans... watch this space!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.