• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long term secure luggage storage in Bilbao?

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
My trip is slowly evolving... it looks like I'll be flying into and out of Bilbao. I will need to store luggage there for 3+ months. Is there a safe place to do that?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anne, most airports and large bus stations have luggage lockers. But I would think that ± 3 months would be a bit costly.
You could post your extra luggage to Ivar's luggage storage facility in Santiago.
He usually keeps luggage for 60 days but perhaps you could negotiate a longer period with him.

Ivar Rekve
ATT: Your Name
Travesia de la Universidade 1
15704 Santiago de Compostela
La Coruña, Spain

Just remember, that you are only allowed 90 days in any Schengen country so try to keep your stay to under 3 months.

My wife and I stayed at the same hotel (NH Villa de Bilbao) when we arrived in Spain and the last few days before we left. That allowed us to stash a bag with them and also provided a place for me to send stuff to when I did the "pare down" routine at the end of the first week of walking. I imagine any hotel would extend the same courtesy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sillydoll said:
Just remember, that you are only allowed 90 days in any Schengen country so try to keep your stay to under 3 months.

I'd forgotten about that. I'm a slow walker. Does the 90 day limit apply to EU members, too? I'm a dual national so I hold an EU member passport in addition to my U.S. passport.

Anne, some of the rules are quite confusing. Generally, USA citizens can enter the Schengen Area as a whole for pleasure or for business without the need to apply for a visa for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.
Have a look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_polic ... pean_Union
Perhaps your local Spanish Consul can give you advice regarding your EU passport but I would suggest you leave the US on your US passport, and enter Spain using your EU passport.

sillydoll said:
I would suggest you leave the US on your US passport, and enter Spain using your EU passport.
Good idea, that's my plan. The laws are a bit confusing but I just found this at Ireland's web site for the Dept. of Foreign Affairs and Trade (I should have researched a little more online before asking). I'm posting it in case anyone else has a similar question:

"Staying for longer than three months

All EU citizens who wish to reside in Spain for more than three months have to register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreigners Office), which is normally part of the town hall (Ayuntamiento), or at designated police stations. You will be issued a Certificate of Registration stating your name, address, nationality, identity number (NIE) and date of registration. The certificate serves as confirmation that the registration obligation has been fulfilled, but it is not recognised by the local authorities as a valid form of identification and you are not obliged to keep the certificate with you."

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8545

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
neutra said:
My wife and I stayed at the same hotel (NH Villa de Bilbao) when we arrived in Spain and the last few days before we left. That allowed us to stash a bag with them and also provided a place for me to send stuff to when I did the "pare down" routine at the end of the first week of walking. I imagine any hotel would extend the same courtesy.
How long did you leave a bag there and how did they secure it?

I also stayed in a hotel in Bilbao, Tryp Arenal. They kept my luggage for 6 weeks. Lovely staff, very friendly and accustomed to pilgrims. I highly recommend the hotel. My suitcase was kept in a locked storage closet behind the desk. All was safe and sound when I got back to spend 2 nights in Bilbao, a city that I loved!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back