• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long Walks (more than 10 km) between Albergues

alhartman

2005-2017 Delightful 346 days in Spain and France.
Time of past OR future Camino
These are the longest distances between albergues. The stage number is from the Profile Elevation sheet; (Gronze stage numbers are similar). Distances vary a bit between Gronze.com and godesalco.com.
There may be intermediate lodging (after Burgos or Sahagun) or slightly off-camino

I arbitrarily used 10km as cutoff point as 'long'.

Profile​
"Stage"
From
Ending
Km
6​
Villamayor Monjardin
Los Arcos​
12.5​
7​
Torres del Rio
Viana​
10.8​
8​
Logrono
Navarette​
12.8​
9​
Ventosa
Najera​
11.0​
12​
Villafranca Montes de Oca
San Juan Ortega​
12.3​
14​
Burgos
Tardajos​
11.5​
18​
Carrion de los Condes
Calzadilla de la Cueza​
17.5​
19​
Sahagun
Bercianos​
10.0​
20​
El Burgo Ranero
Religios​
13.0​

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This will no doubt be helpful for the faint of heart, and it just goes to show how skewed the Francés is to the easy side as compared to less traveled routes. If 10km counts to someone as 'long,' then many other caminos will be out of reach for them.

Last edited:
Great post! I can remember a few of those very well depending on how hot, cold, tired or hungry I was at the time. Funny but the ones I don't remember must have been under easier circumstances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This will no doubt be helpful for the faint of heart, and it just goes to show how skewed the Francés is to the easy side as compared to less traveled routes. If 10km counts to someone as 'long,' then many other caminos will be out of reach for them.

Actually, I make mental notes of this sort of thing most days when walking. If I have already done 20km when I reach a place, I will stop there if the next lodging place is 12km further even though I can walk a bit further but would rather not walk that far, especially if it is very hot.

Even an Aussie can distinguish what the writer is portraying in his message, the longest distances between Albergues that you will encounter if you are planning your route and want to push on past one of these stops

Just yesterday I saw this on an Irish news website. I think the subjects of the piece must have been walking one of the much tougher routes: " The Camino de Santiago is a long hike through the Spanish countryside that sees pilgrims walk roughly 25-30 miles per day in order to reach their destination. Some walk for a few days, some walk for a week, but everyone who participates is pushed to their limits under the hot Spanish sun." I like fairly long days myself but even I do not aim for average daily stages of 40-50km these days!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps whomever wrote this piece were told kilometers and heard miles? The only pilgrims I know who do those kinds of distances are the lean Border Collies amongst us (I think I am a Basset).

Not necessarily the case - I've walked from Lugo in two days, walking for 10 hours on each day

My first Camino from SJPP took 20 days - you just have to walk in the afternoons as well

These are the longest distances between albergues. The stage number is from the Profile Elevation sheet; (Gronze stage numbers are similar). Distances vary a bit between Gronze.com and godesalco.com.
There may be intermediate lodging (after Burgos or Sahagun) or slightly off-camino

Profile​
"Stage"
From
Ending
Km
6​
Villamayor Monjardin
Los Arcos​
12.5​
7​
Torres del Rio
Viana​
10.8​
8​
Logrono
Navarette​
12.8​
9​
Ventosa
Najera​
11.0​
12​
San Juan Ortega​
12.3​
14​
Burgos
Tardajos​
11.5​
18​
Carrion de los Condes
Calzadilla de la Cueza​
17.5​
19​
Sahagun
Bercianos​
10.0​
20​
El Burgo Ranero
Religios​
13.0​

Interesting.
Of course the question is then.........if you can't get a bed, how far is it to the next one ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps whomever wrote this piece were told kilometers and heard miles? The only pilgrims I know who do those kinds of distances are the lean Border Collies amongst us (I think I am a Basset).
I think that may be part of the explanation. Also I think that the person who wrote that is probably not a walker themselves and has no personal knowledge of the Caminos. I think that anyone who walks regularly would have stopped to ask themselves how many people would actually choose to walk 40+km stages daily. Some like @spursfan do. I walked my own first Camino Frances in 23 days but prefer stages around 30km these days. Very occasionally over 40km if conditions and my mood are right. But I think that puts me in a fairly small minority.

Profile​
"Stage"
From
Ending
Km
6​
Villamayor Monjardin
Los Arcos​
12.5​
7​
Torres del Rio
Viana​
10.8​
8​
Logrono
Navarette​
12.8​
9​
Ventosa
Najera​
11.0​
12​
San Juan Ortega​
12.3​
14​
Burgos
Tardajos​
11.5​
18​
Carrion de los Condes
Calzadilla de la Cueza​
17.5​
19​
Sahagun
Bercianos​
10.0​
20​
El Burgo Ranero
Religios​
13.0​

Thanks for sharing this information with others. I think its very relevant, because it does inform whether you continue on or stay, depending on how you're feeling. I vividly remember each of these stages, some I found easy and picturesque, some were a tough slog. I'm sure we each have our unique stories!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha, I do, but my 10 hours sure as heck ain't your 10 hours, @spursfan . In fact I'm mildly envious...

Same here. 10 Hours will get me about 25 kms! But of course that includes:

Morning Coffee
Lunch
Afternoon coffee
Sit down to admire the view a few times
Stop at a couple of churches
Boots and socks off for airing a couple of times

I pack a lot into those 10 hours! :cool:

Last edited:

Morning Coffee
Lunch
Afternoon coffee

This sounds like our days. what's the Camino without those coffee breaks, meeting new friends. We chose to have reservations and it worked for us to have a general sense of the kms for the day. It's different for everyone. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You don't have to be "faint of heart" to wish to avoid long days. Many of us do not want to rush along for huge distances every day for all sorts of reasons.

It is not a question of faint of heart or distances. It is really very simple. If you keep pushing yourself because you think you have something to prove to yourself or you have to keep up with your mythical family and you drop dead somewhere, then you are just pretty dumb. If you know what you want to walk each day then it ain't that tough to figure out what is going on in front of you. If you know your physical, spiritual limit is about 20 or so K per day and you hit a town after you have walked 17 or 18K than duhhh that is where you stop. If you are not carrying a guidebook or some app or map than you better know you can walk long distances. People make things so complicated. Walk your own camino on your own terms. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the rest. Just listen to your body. It is soooooo simple.

Morning Coffee
Lunch
Afternoon coffee

Walking is an important part of the Camino experience just as classes are an important part of the college experience but as you point out there is a lot more to enjoying those adventures!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know this varies for each of us, but for me (even at 66) 10 km is not a long walk. I would define over 25 km as longish, over 30 as long, and over 50 as heroic.

If 10km counts to someone as 'long,' then many other caminos will be out of reach for them.
The Frances is the only Camino I have done and i recall all those legs/sections listed above. It is a useful list because it helps one prepare in terms of when to stop (ie before a long stretch) and when to stock up on water and snacks. I ran out of water about an hour out of Religios on a 30C afternoon. It was a loooong hour!!!

If you consider those sections listed as "easy" , how long are some of the longer legs on other Camino routes? Are there many over 15 or 20?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are there many over 15 or 20?
Yes, at least in my limited experience, on the San Olav, Baztanes, Vasco, and Invierno.
There can be villages without services, or opening times that are hit or miss. The smallest villages on the Francés are metropoli by comparison to villages that some other caminos pass through.

Any time I reach a town with an albergue, I ask myself, do I have it in me to do the x km to the next one? I've gone as little as 5km and said 'no.'

My longest day was about 37 km in November on the Le Puy. Did I enjoy it? Not after the first 25.

So 10 km may, or may not, be a long walk, but after already doing xx km, it could be a long continuation.

we would aim for a place and reach that place but sometimes continue if was too early for us , 20km to early 30s was normal ,we could set off before dawn do a good distance but still have time to explore our destination
the plan your stage bit on the buen camino app is handy as it lists the town distances from the custom starting point

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And does this list apply in winter as well?

Not likely. My winter camino in Feb/Mar this year included a lot more 30+km days than I would have liked. That said the day options where probably either walk less that 10km or 30km or more, not much middle ground where I wanted 20-25km.

Morning Coffee
Lunch
Afternoon coffee

Yes, and I add stopping to take approximayely 100 pictures each day... mostly on the uphills! 😛

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back