• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Longer rain jacket...

seamusgallen

Time of past OR future Camino
future - April 2016
I'm going to walk the Camino Francés in April and May 2016, and I'm looking at rainwear. But, I can't find a lightweight waterproof jacket that will keep my shorts dry. I don't want to wear rain pants (or a poncho) but all rain jackets seem to end at waist level. Does anyone else have this problem? I can, of course, buy a long raincoat like you would wear to work, or if you were a flasher, but they're not lightweight, and would cause one to sweat like a pig.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm going to walk the Camino Francés in April and May 2016, and I'm looking at rainwear. But, I can't find a lightweight waterproof jacket that will keep my shorts dry. I don't want to wear rain pants (or a poncho) but all rain jackets seem to end at waist level. Does anyone else have this problem? I can, of course, buy a long raincoat like you would wear to work, or if you were a flasher, but they're not lightweight, and would cause one to sweat like a pig.

Seamusgallen;

I would recommend you get a nice lightweight pair of rain paints. The rain in Spring is cold and it is often very windy. That said, since you prefer to wear shorts, how about buying lightweight rain paints and cutting them off to short length?

Ultreya,
Joe

The only rain gear that I have found that breaths & keeps you dry has been event fabric rain gear. Pants as well. The problem is the good 3 layer stuff is expensive, buy it online but do your research. It usually is cheaper in Europe,
Buen Camino
Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took my pair of zip off pants and I waterproofed them. I used to work in a place that did the treatment for couches etc, same as scotchguard...
I drenched them... those are now my wet weather pants, whether long or zipped off... only the rain on the Way will tell me of my success or failure... hahahahahaha....

I don't consider bomber style jackets that end at the waist to be trekking rain gear. Most lightweight gear that I see just covers the buttocks and works best with rain pants. I have two longer jackets, one from North Face and a slightly longer one from Macpac that reaches to just above my knees. Neither are what I would call lightweight. Not only is there the extra material required to lengthen the jacket, when you look at this market segment, it appears to me that if you are serious enough to want a long jacket, you don't want to accept too many compromises on rain protection. As a result the materials are thicker and heavier as well as there being more of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best solution I could come up with was to get a long gore tex jacket made to measure. Sadly it has worn away over the years (and, as Dougfitz has said, was too heavy for prolonged carrying in any case) but I see Cioch clothing is still going if you wanted to see what's possible- everything I've seen in the shops has been short. There is always the poncho option.

I don't like to wear rain pants either. I also don't like to wear ponchos or a longer than waist length rain jacket. The few days I was rained on doing my Caminos, I just wore my shorts. They were tech type shorts. Synthetic and no cotton, so I didn't mind them or my legs getting wet. I was more interested in keeping my torso, my core warm and dry as possible, and for that I wore a breathable Columbia rain jacket and if it was cooler out I wore my fleece under that as a layer over a tech shirt. Also I wore synthetic compression shorts with a long inseam under my shorts as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is always the poncho option.
If you are contemplating an over-the-head poncho, use one on a rainy training walk. They are very inconvenient, and often require the help of another person. People are very friendly and accommodating on the Camino, but having to ask for help donning and doffing a poncho repeatedly in on-and-off rain may be asking too much!

One has to admire St. James. Donning his sandals and robe and just walking.... I bow to thee...

I don't consider bomber style jackets that end at the waist to be trekking rain gear. Most lightweight gear that I see just covers the buttocks and works best with rain pants. I have two longer jackets, one from North Face and a slightly longer one from Macpac that reaches to just above my knees. Neither are what I would call lightweight. Not only is there the extra material required to lengthen the jacket, when you look at this market segment, it appears to me that if you are serious enough to want a long jacket, you don't want to accept too many compromises on rain protection. As a result the materials are thicker and heavier as well as there being more of it.
To add to this, I measured a selection of rain jackets:
  • Macpac - 820gm 93cm back length
  • North Face - 800gm 82cm back length
  • Helly Henson - 280gm 77cm back length
The first two are serious bush walking jackets. The Helly Henson fabric appears to me too light to withstand the rigours of serious bush walking, but should be okay on the camino where there is little risk of the jacket being torn or punctured by struggling through think vegetation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is what I have read about on this forum and decided to try this fall.
http://www.thepacka.com
TammyLynn, how did the Packa work out for you? Perhaps your Camino much warmer than mine might be. I am walking the CF April(mid)-May? All this talk of cold rain is making me nervous. In my area we don't experience much rain or cold weather. This makes my walk a nice physical and mental challenge for me BEFORE I even leave. Your thoughts?

I was going to recommend the Packa too. I don't have one myself, but a couple that I walked with had them, and they are a great (though spendy) option.
I ended up sewing a "Parcho", which is similar.

How well does it work without a backpack? As a shell in the evening when walking around town or would you still need another "rain/wind" outer shell over your fleece?

How well does it work without a backpack? As a shell in the evening when walking around town or would you still need another "rain/wind" outer shell over your fleece?
It works great with or without the backpack. It is shorter than the Altus, but the older model Altus has disappeared from stores, and the new model does not seem to please people much.

An Altus or Ferrino Trekker poncho is not a poncho per se, but a long jacket with sleeves and a front zipper, plus extra fabric in the back that is snapped closed or opened up to make a hump to cover your backpack (so the jacket is worn over you & the backpack). I think this might work for your needs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another possibility is the extra long rain jacket (40 inches) made by Zpacks. Its waterproof, breathable, packs very small and is made from Cuban fibre so is uber ultralight weighing in at only 165 g Probably needless to say they are not cheap.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

I haven't tried the jacket but I walked the Frances last autumn with their rain pants. The rain pants were fantastic (unlike my North Face rain jacket) and I'll be taking those pants on the next Camino.

Note: I've edited this post. The weight I originally quoted was incorrect. Thanks to DougFitz for letting me know.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.