• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lonliness of the Long Distance Pilgrim

wayward

Planning on setting out from SJPP on March 11, 2010. Obviously there are other pilgrims this time of year but I am curious to know if anyone has an idea of whether there are very many, or alternatively one should anticipate somewhat of a lonely journey. Unfortunately English is my only language. Will that pose a significant communication problem interacting with other pilgrims?

Thank you for any fedback!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not sure about March but I did the Camino in Sept/Oct 2009 and had no problems with the language, I do speak some Spanish but found that there were always people who either had some English or were patient enough to understand my fractured attempt at the Spanish language. Almost without exception, other pilgrims had english as a second ( or third) language.

You will have no problems.

AJP
Victoria

We walked the Camino in March of 2009 and found that the numbers of Pilgrims were smaller back toward SJPP and Pamplona but increased as you moved west. Many people start in Burgos, Leon, Astorga, etc so it picks up steadily.
As a matter of fact, I am leaving SJPP on 14 March so will be just a couple of days behind you. I probably will not stop at Orrison (unless weather caused) so will catch up a day if you stop there.
You may not see a lot of people on the trail some days but will certainly see them at the evening stops. Actually, I prefer it to be a little more solitary rather than crowded and am starting early for that reason.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to leave SJPP on 10 March. Hopefully we may meet on the way. I also anticipate walking some of the Camino without company but from what I have read you are never really alone on the Camino. I am looking forward to meeting people from all over the world. All the very best to all other walkers and a big thank you the everyone who posed questions and the many helpful people who offered advice.

There are plenty of people on the Camino in March (me, too!). Here in the very middle of the Meseta we are seeing increasing numbers every day --- maybe 20 or 30? But the tough weather is keeping the numbers down. I talked to a pilgrim this morning who said there were only 5 people in the Ledigos albergue last night, and they all froze!

The big starting-point here is Easter. That´s when almost all the albergues open up and the great flood of pilgrims really starts up.

You still may have to suffer the presence of other hikers and bikers within your field of vision. But even if you walk in the most crowded season, you can be as alone or as accompanied as you choose to be.

Reb.

I walked in 2008 starting on March 8. I thought it was ideal. Unless you chose to walk with someone, you were generally alone most of the day (which I liked) but there were plenty of people to meet/socialize with at the albergues. I'm sure this year there will be plenty more. If you wanted to walk with others, you could do that too. I thought it was a great time of year to walk...snow and all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
wayward said:
anticipate somewhat of a lonely journey.

Just a different perspective...I felt the most lonely during the last couple of weeks before reaching Santiago. Sure, there were a lot more people, and I met a cool group of Spanish that "took me in and gave me breakfast" during that period.

However, I began walking in SJPP, and as you get closer to Santiago it seems there are less and less pilgrims who began the trek that far back. I kind of felt different from the rest of the pack, sort of isolated because there were few to none with whom I felt a long-distance "Camino veteran" kinship with. Does that make sense? :arrow:

VT

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back