• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look after your valuables

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
This report by a pilgrim from St Jean:

Just a reminder and warning to all pilgrims to keep ID and personal
belonings on you at all times.
I was in the Municipal Albergue at SJPP last night, and an Italian
pilgrim was robbed while having a shower. He had left a small bag on
his bunk containing Passport, ID, Pilgrim credential, credit cards etc
and 1000euros in cash. All were taken. It seems someone accessed the
albergue from the side door knowing what to look for. The police do
not suspect any pilgrims.
So never, ever, leave anything of value lying around.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...never, ever, leave anything of value lying around.
Suggestion: always always have ur passport/$ + cc, on ur person. When using the restroom, put them in a FB and take it with u. When sleeping, put the FB inside/bottom of sleeping bag/liner. Best, xm 8)

I have a small pouch with a string around my neck and I call her my mistress.

I NEVER leave her; at night she is in my sleeping bag, if I have to go to the washroom in the night she comes along. In the shower she hangs inside the door where I can see her. The rest of the journey she will be around my neck.

What's inside you ask. Simple : passport, credential, return tickets (in my case air tickets), one credit card and another identification card (my medicare card or my driving permit) and 30 or 40 euros max; that's all.

A photocopy of these papers is inside my pack.

Better safe than sorry !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the tip, Sil. What an awful feeling it must have been for the poor peregrino.
BTW, xm, forgive my ignorance, but what is an FB?
We plan to follow the advice about using the neck pouch for valuables/essentials.
We will arrive in Roncesvalles the evening of August 23 and start from there the next morning.

Kevin

:lol: FB: Fannybag (mispelled?) Very practical, I always take one. Buen Camino, xm 8)

sillydoll said:
He had left a small bag on
his bunk containing Passport, ID, Pilgrim credential, credit cards etc
and 1000euros in cash. All were taken.

Wasn't that a bit naive? I like to believe in the good of people too but I'm also a skeptic ...

I've got a small waterproof bag where I'll be putting my valuables in and take it with me in the shower.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wasn't that a bit naive? I like to believe in the good of people too but I'm also a skeptic ...
Happens all the time, many pilgrims r careless, trusting, tired, and leave their valuables visibly spread all over their beds. We all need to take precautionary measures. Best, xm 8)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.