• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look Around You!

John Finn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2013), Burgos to Leon (2014), St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono (2015), Logrono to Burgos (2016), Leon to Sarria (May 2017).
I find it extrordinary how few pilgrims seem to take the time to stop and look back where they've come from. Their heads are fixed in forward mode (and in many cases seemingly on the few yards directly in front of them). Are they afraid that like Lot's wife they might be turned into a pillar of salt should they look behind them?

One of the joys of the Camino is to stop every now and then and take in a 360 degree view of the countryside. It's amazing what wonderful vistas present themselves, landscapes that gladden the heart and make the spirit sing.

Don't look back may be good life advice but definitely not on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find it extrordinary how few pilgrims seem to take the time to stop and look back where they've come from. Their heads are fixed in forward mode (and in many cases seemingly on the few yards directly in front of them). Are they afraid that like Lot's wife they might be turned into a pillar of salt should they look behind them?

One of the joys of the Camino is to stop every now and then and take in a 360 degree view of the countryside. It's amazing what wonderful vistas present themselves, landscapes that gladden the heart and make the spirit sing.

Yes I have noticed that too. Sometimes I turn around and say to the people I am with "Look"! And they say Wow! Sometimes the view behind is impressive, more so because you can congratulate yourself that you have just walked that!

It gets even weirder when you walk BACK from Santiago, that really confuses people!

Davey

One of the joys of the Camino is to stop every now and then and take in a 360 degree view of the countryside

I agree. In fact, I think that's advisable not just in the Camino but whenever you are out in the countryside.

I would also suggest to look up (i.e.: to the sky, the stars...). Many people miss that too because they are used to look just in front and/or down.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wondered the same as well but in my mind it may be from conditioning from always needing to have music in the ears or the phone in use. Technology is great but I believe it is taking away some of the natural awareness & simple enjoyment of nature.

As I type this on my IPad I realize maybe I am no better... I wonder how long I can go without my Camino fix!

One of the joys of the Camino is to stop every now and then and take in a 360 degree view of the countryside. It's amazing what wonderful vistas present themselves, landscapes that gladden the heart and make the spirit sing.........

Great post John and a very special for everyone regardless of what Camino they walk.
Buen (looking around you) Camino

I think that I look forward because my eyes are in the front of my head, and I am going somewhere. Also, I want to protect myself from the dangers of the route as I move forward: look where you're going. But mostly, I am looking for the adventures and beauty ahead of me, toward my pilgrim goal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do think many people are so focused on "getting there" that they are rushing forward as fast as they can. I've been amazed at how few people stop to look or take photos at some of the amazing view points.

I think that I look forward because my eyes are in the front of my head, and I am going somewhere. Also, I want to protect myself from the dangers of the route as I move forward: look where you're going. But mostly, I am looking for the adventures and beauty ahead of me, toward my pilgrim goal.
Albertagirl
One of the things I appreciated as you moved along was your ability to go your pace. You never seemed hurried or in a race. When you return I suspect you will be very aware of what is around you, not just the trail in front of you. I am very surprised someone can have a pilgrim goal as I only walk in faith, as things are revealed. Another example of how we each approach this experience. Much like a bible study it is the others around you that make you think. Thanks for that.

Your post brought back one of those unexpected delights of the Camino. Towards the end of a long day we were walking up towards the Alto de la Grayera on our way to Navarette when on the road someone had written:
Stop! Look behind you!

So we did and it was a wonderful reminder to savour the moment and the landscape all around us.

For none of us know what our futures hold:
We may not walk this Way again

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We just returned home. I was surprised at how many people treated their day as a race with head down, moving forward. It seemed to me that my snail pace walking was a blessing sometimes.

On the same note, when my wife stops for a break, she likes to hang out for awhile. I would get anxiety about getting back on the road. I spoke to myself several times to relax and realize the trail wasn't going anywhere.

I totally agree with you! I find it amazing how many people chatter constantly and never look up, around or back.

oh yes i fully agree, i did often take the time to stop and look back,not only does it give you a different and wonderful view but also it can be very motivating to see how far you have travelled, you can say to yourself wow i did that :)great advice from you john,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
oh yes i fully agree, i did often take the time to stop and look back,not only does it give you a different and wonderful view but also it can be very motivating to see how far you have travelled, you can say to yourself wow i did that :)great advice from you john,

When walking in 2012 I kept thinking about the field of stars,and having left an albergue in the dark crossing a black countryside with my head torch and on stopping for a breather I looked back from whence I came ,and saw more stars than I'd ever seen in my life . Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I often stop and look back, always amazed at the ground I've covered (or more likely climbed :rolleyes:) - if anything it gives me a chance to catch my breath :D

When walking in 2012 I kept thinking about the field of stars,and having left an albergue in the dark crossing a black countryside with my head torch and on stopping for a breather I looked back from whence I came ,and saw more stars than I'd ever seen in my life . Buen Camino.

I remember leaving O'Cebreiro in August 2012, still in the dark and seeing more shooting stars than I had ever seen. It was wonderful :cool:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back