• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look for the duck

• Thread starter Former member 105117
  • Start date
F

Former member 105117

My wife and best friend recently passed away, after a long bout with the Big C. We often talked about walking the Camino, once she got better... but she never did. After she died, I began walking every morning, along the roads and paths near our home, where we'd walked so many times together. One morning, as I paused to watch the sun rise, the idea to walk the Camino sprang to mind and blossomed. I choose not to say that I'm "walking it FOR her". I'm walking it WITH her. Because she will be with me, every step.
She was my Baby Duck. So, if you happen to see someone walking along the Francis, this coming May, with a small, stuffed Baby Duck riding my pack, say hello to us.

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello @Duckadang

Wishing you all the best for your walk 'with' your wife. When we walked the Chemin du Piemont earlier this year we met a Japanese pilgrim who had similarly planned a Camino with his wife who passed away before they could go together. He had with him a credenciale (aka pilgrims passport) for her which the gite owners and hospitaleros were happy to 'stamp'.

As an aside, I see that you are from Nanango - which I'm assuming is Nanango in Queensland, Australia? I'm guessing few forum members will have heard of this town. I spent 3 years of my childhood living in nearby Kingaroy - the peanut capitol of Australia - with memories of trips to Nanango for sports comps! Happy days.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and best friend recently passed away, after a long bout with the Big C. We often talked about walking the Camino, once she got better... but she never did. After she died, I began walking every morning, along the roads and paths near our home, where we'd walked so many times together. One morning, as I paused to watch the sun rise, the idea to walk the Camino sprang to mind and blossomed. I choose not to say that I'm "walking it FOR her". I'm walking it WITH her. Because she will be with me, every step.
She was my Baby Duck. So, if you happen to see someone walking along the Francis, this coming May, with a small, stuffed Baby Duck riding my pack, say hello to us.

Ultreia!

Buen camino.

Ultreia!

There is a mediaeval custom which is still maintained by the Pilgims' Office in Santiago, to issue a compostela to you in the name of a person who has died or who through grave illness could not make the pilgrimage. Just keep the credential stamped as required (once a day, and twice in the final 100km), and tell the volunteer that it is a peregrinacion memorial and have the name written out for them (Firstname LASTNAME) so that they can inscribe it on the compostela. Some pilgrims find this very helpful.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello @Duckadang

Wishing you all the best for your walk 'with' your wife. When we walked the Chemin du Piemont earlier this year we met a Japanese pilgrim who had similarly planned a Camino with his wife who passed away before they could go together. He had with him a credenciale (aka pilgrims passport) for her which the gite owners and hospitaleros were happy to 'stamp'.

As an aside, I see that you are from Nanango - which I'm assuming is Nanango in Queensland, Australia? I'm guessing few forum members will have heard of this town. I spent 3 years of my childhood living in nearby Kingaroy - the peanut capitol of Australia - with memories of trips to Nanango for sports comps! Happy days.

Buen camino.
Then, you'll know the roads that will be my training ground. Kingaroy to Memerambi... Nanango to Yarraman and onto the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. I live near the Torong Power Station and the roads along the Pine Forest are alive with the Whip Birds, Magpies and the rest. Makes for a great training regime...

Buen Camino...

Then, you'll know the roads that will be my training ground. Kingaroy to Memerambi... Nanango to Yarraman and onto the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. I live near the Torong Power Station and the roads along the Pine Forest are alive with the Whip Birds, Magpies and the rest. Makes for a great training regime...

Buen Camino...
I’d like to say I remember the roads but let’s just say it was … ahem … a long time ago 😎 But I do remember Yarraman!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ultreia!
Very best wishes and good luck. My husband passed away three years ago, regrettably before I ever heard of the Camino. It would have been the greatest experience ever to have walked with him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very best wishes and good luck. My husband passed away three years ago, regrettably before I ever heard of the Camino. It would have been the greatest experience ever to have walked with him.
Three years... three months. I'm finding time is irrelevant. When I see a particularly beautiful sunrise or see a baby wallaby (yes, I'm in Australia) with its head sticking out of Mama's pouch while walking, that moment, she is not there to share. But, I still share it with her, anyway. She is with me. He is with you. Walk with him.

Ultreia!
Buen Camino to you both 🥰

Ultreia!
I’m hoping to do it April/ May so will look out for the duck and you. Although my other half died of MND 5 years ago now, I still have unresolved stuff that I need to walk out. Hope to meet you and sending big hugs for your journey without her xx

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino and ULTREIA indeed

I spent 13 years of my live doing ACW Living History and as such I became quite familiar with some things ACW

Here is an excerpt from the letter Maj Sullivan Ballou wrote to his wife (this became hugely famous after Ken Burns' mini-series). I sure you will relate to the sentiment and I hope it will bring you some Solace when "both of you" walk The Way:

...But, O Sarah, if the dead can come back to this earth, and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you in the garish day, and the darkest night amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours always, always, and, if the soft breeze fans your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air cools your throbbing temples, it shall be my spirit passing by.
Sarah, do not mourn me dear; think I am gone, and wait for me, for we shall meet again.....

Ultreia!
DuckaDang. I may be around that time, as my wife has been fighting cancer for 16 years, and I am afraid is about to lose that battle. we too had talked (and still do) about doing the Camino, and we both know that is not very likely to happen. so if you see a bald guy with a silver beard from the states in may? say hi.. if I see you I will do the same...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino and ULTREIA indeed

I spent 13 years of my live doing ACW Living History and as such I became quite familiar with some things ACW

Here is an excerpt from the letter Maj Sullivan Ballou wrote to his wife (this became hugely famous after Ken Burns' mini-series). I sure you will relate to the sentiment and I hope it will bring you some Solace when "both of you" walk The Way:

...But, O Sarah, if the dead can come back to this earth, and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you in the garish day, and the darkest night amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours always, always, and, if the soft breeze fans your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air cools your throbbing temples, it shall be my spirit passing by.
Sarah, do not mourn me dear; think I am gone, and wait for me, for we shall meet again.....
, if the dead can come back to this earth, and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you...

One of my wife's favorite birds was the Willy Wagtail. Shortly after she died, a Willy began following me around the place, as I tended HER garden and used HER ride-on mower (another story). I'd never seen one stay so close or spend so much time "flitting" around me. I could read many things into this... but, at the end, I simply enjoyed the company that I needed.

I met this wonderful man on the Camino. Case is a 72-year-old Dutch man widowed one year before. His attitude towards life and his circumstances was amazing. He was a part of everyone’s Camino family. We often walk together for part of each day. He quickly outpaced me! I saw him the morning we ascended the mountain towards Cruz de Ferro. He told me in his heavily accented English, I will be walking alone today. Knowing how special and possibly emotional this day was for him, I nodded and hiked on steadily up the rocky slope. Eventually I reached the top, waited for a couple pilgrims to have their moment, and ascended the mound. My burdens were few. I am so blessed.

I sat with another pilgrim chatting about our experiences when we saw Case stroll up uncharacteristically slow. At his turn, I saw him ascend the pile of stones to place his own. He knelt and wailed mournfully. He really missed Anna, his wife. It was stirring for anyone to witness. He composed himself and began the long descent down into El Acebo de San Miguel. His burden was lifted and his feet scarcely touched the ground. That was the last time I saw him.

I sat on a bench reflecting on the mornings’ solemn, emotionally draining, yet satisfying events. Then a bus rolled up. Tourists spilled out like clowns from a tiny circus car. They flooded onto the mound, stepped on the symbolic burdens, laughed excitedly, took selfies, and as quickly drained away into their Tour de Peregrino bus and sped away. I was crushed and annoyed. How could these heartless people treat such a spiritual place so flippantly? How disrespectful! Who were these people?

Then I thought, they are just people on their own way through life. They did not see Case crying for his dear Anna. They were experiencing this place differently. And it hit me. Everyone has their own way, on the Camino and in life. Case had his, I had mine, and these tourists had theirs. None were the only way. None were wrong.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.