• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look what I made for dessert today!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks good, nice presentation, very pretty. How does it taste? My friend Roel from Holland absolutely loved these cakes. I sent him a whole bunch for his birthday.

Happy New Year to you too and enjoy the memories.

Attachments

• santiago 2013 024.JPG
    santiago 2013 024.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
It was lovely. I made it from this recipe http://www.thevintagemixer.com/2013/03/tarta-de-santiago-recipe-a-spanish-almond-cake-from-spain/ it even provides a stencil for the cross.

I will use a little bit less lemon zest the next time. I used pre made almond flour instead of crushing almonds will probably cross a few and add to the cake for some crunchiness.

I didn't have 11" spring form so I used a little bit smaller one and got a little higher cake.

I'll make it again. As gluten and lactose intolerant it is perfect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was lovely. I made it from this recipe http://www.thevintagemixer.com/2013/03/tarta-de-santiago-recipe-a-spanish-almond-cake-from-spain/ it even provides a stencil for the cross.

I will use a little bit less lemon zest the next time. I used pre made almond flour instead of crushing almonds will probably cross a few and add to the cake for some crunchiness.

I didn't have 11" spring form so I used a little bit smaller one and got a little higher cake.

Is it possible for a man to love more than one woman? What a find! Yum Yum! I shall have to give this to mom to make as I do not bake...;)

Thank you very much, and Happy New Year!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can certainly understand how you could read that;-) But my oh my, that would be selfish, wouldn't it?

I can certainly understand how you could read that;-) But my oh my, that would be selfish, wouldn't it?
Selfish, not necessarily. I hear people walk 100's of miles to get a slice. Let me know when your date of birth is and I'll see what I can do ;) Cheers to knew found friends and Happy New Year!!

Selfish, not necessarily. I hear people walk 100's of miles to get a slice. Let me know when your date of birth is and I'll see what I can do ;) Cheers to knew found friends and Happy New Year!!
I'm an October baby....luckily I'll get a fix in May/June THIS year....not sure it would travel to NZ as well as to the Netherlands!
Happy New Year to you too!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I haven't made this specific recipe, but if you want to add a little crunchiness, a technique I use is to toast 50-100gm of slivered almonds, blend these with some of the sugar and add them at the same time as the almond flour.

I also use margarine rather than butter, and rice flour to prepare the cake pan. This makes the recipe I use gluten and dairy free, and would for this recipe too.

Regards,

I haven't made this specific recipe, but if you want to add a little crunchiness, a technique I use is to toast 50-100gm of slivered almonds, blend these with some of the sugar and add them at the same time as the almond flour.

I also use margarine rather than butter, and rice flour to prepare the cake pan. This makes the recipe I use gluten and dairy free, and would for this recipe too.

Regards,
Thanks. I will use some almonds in there next time. I prefer lactose free butter instead of margarine but if I bake for dairy allergic people I use margarine. I have a teflon pan that doesn't need any preparation. But good suggestions for others who wants to bake gluten and dairy free.

Thanks. I will use some almonds in there next time. I prefer lactose free butter instead of margarine but if I bake for dairy allergic people I use margarine. I have a teflon pan that doesn't need any preparation. But good suggestions for others who wants to bake gluten and dairy free.
You are right, to make it completely dairy free, one would need to use a lactose free substitute rather than a margarine which has any whey in its ingredients. As it is not in the recipe and only part of the pan preparation, and whey is generally a very small component of most margarines, I have never had a problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife made one for a Christmas party last month, wow the memories it brought back :)

Thanks for link to recipe for the Santiago tarta. My first taste was arrival day after Portuguese Camino may12. I was on Camino Aug/sep 2013 and they didn't taste the same! So would be good to try.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone have the recipe for the almond cookies that they give samples along the restaurant street in Santiago? An extensive internet search has not yielded any results!

I suspect it is similar; just almonds, sugar, and eggs, but it is in a cookie shape and a bit like a meringue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
These:
caprichos2.png

I found their website, but no recipe. It is "secret."

Thanks for link to recipe for the Santiago tarta. My first taste was arrival day after Portuguese Camino may12. I was on Camino Aug/sep 2013 and they didn't taste the same! So would be good to try.

I am by no means an expert on the Tarta de Santiago, but I know that the stores that sell them sell two different varieties. One is gluten free, with nothing other than ground almonds, but the other, cheaper, and more commonly available one has wheat flour. That makes the consistencies very different, so maybe that explains your two experiences.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried a similar recipe that used egg whites. They were very airy cookies! Good taste, but different texture. I will give your recipe a try.

We have a new family tradition as we did the cake for dessert yesterday as well :) But this tie without the sugar on top, instead I put whipped cream with a little bit vanilla and almond concentrate in in on top, decorated with grapes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.