• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking back...

Interpreter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
My husband and I just finished walking the French route from St Jean to Santiago. He is 72 and I m 63, both in good physical health and pretty good fit. We have known about the Camino all our adult lives but until recently it was just this abstract idea surrounded by historical facts. Now, we feel that we have made it our own. As one of the famous quotes of the poet Antonio Machado says “Wanderer, your footsteps are the road, and nothing more; wanderer, there is no road, the road is made by walking.” Our story on the Camino has made it real for us.

Our experience has been richer and more complex than our original expectation. We loved it and welcome the opportunity in the future to assess through the lenses of time those things that we are unable to grasp today.

And it was hard! Since I joined this forum just a few months before our trip, I haven’t read all there is to read in it about the Camino, but from what I read the fact that it is really hard was never emphatically stressed. And that in spite of wearing the “right” shoes, socks liners etc. the amount of strain on your feet is enormous! I am sure this is different for everyone and a very personal thing but I, particularly, was shocked with the way my feet reacted from the very beginning. We learned pretty fast that we needed to be much more proactive taking care of our feet and it became a daily ritual.

Looking back now I laugh at one of the pilgrims I met who said ‘the walk itself is not hard. It is just that my feet do not want to cooperate.”

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations Peregrina. Looking back with laughter is a fine way to complete a Camino.

And no, few of us will emphasise how hard it can be at times. But as the lovely Sheryl Crow sings:
No one said it would be easy
But no one said it'd be this hard
No one thought we'd come this far"

"No one thought we'd come this far"
True! We are still pinching ourselves!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's wonderful looking back and reflecting isn't it? Memories of people, places, emotions....

And it's true what the 'old timers' here say. Over time we forget the pain, the emotional turmoil, and at times the despair.

Indeed it is hard. But I think that's part of what makes the experience so wonderful and rewarding. Over coming the many challenges along the way just makes us stronger, more appreciative of what we have, thankful that we could even make the journey, and sure, somewhat proud of what we were able to achieve.

Perhaps things that are not easily gained....are more cherished? ;)

It sounds like you both had a fantastic experience :)

It's wonderful looking back and reflecting isn't it? Memories of people, places, emotions....

And it's true what the 'old timers' here say. Over time we forget the pain, the emotional turmoil, and at times the despair.

Indeed it is hard. But I think that's part of what makes the experience so wonderful and rewarding. Over coming the many challenges along the way just makes us stronger, more appreciative of what we have, thankful that we could even make the journey, and sure, somewhat proud of what we were able to achieve.

Perhaps things that are not easily gained....are more cherished? ;)

It sounds like you both had a fantastic experience :)
All very true! Thankful that we could even make the journey! Indeed!

Congratulations Peregrina. Looking back with laughter is a fine way to complete a Camino.

And no, few of us will emphasise how hard it can be at times. But as the lovely Sheryl Crow sings:
But no one said it'd be this hard
No one thought we'd come this far"
"No one thought we'd come this far"
True! We are still pinching ourselves!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[...]Since I joined this forum just a few months before our trip, I haven’t read all there is to read in it about the Camino, but from what I read the fact that it is really hard was never emphatically stressed. And that in spite of wearing the “right” shoes, socks liners etc. the amount of strain on your feet is enormous! I am sure this is different for everyone and a very personal thing but I, particularly, was shocked with the way my feet reacted from the very beginning. We learned pretty fast that we needed to be much more proactive taking care of our feet and it became a daily ritual.[...]
Excellent advice for newbies. It's difficult to imagine walking day after day under various conditions (weather, track, terrain, weight) for over 30 days until one actually starts walking. :cool:

@Interpreter I think your post is timely. Sometimes I wonder if I walk the same walk as others - I always find it hard! Getting the balance between encouraging and warning first timers is always going to be difficult though.

Encouraging vs warning. That's an interesting way to put it. Back "in the day", whenever the hell that was, pilgrims didn't even have a compass and there were certainly no yellow arrows. And yet thousands of pilgrims arrived not ony Santiago, but Rome and Jerusalem. What if we didn't even have this forum? I just wonder sometimes if we give too much away. Parts of me think that we are dumbing ourselves down with all this "information". What did Magellan, Columbus and Joan of Arc all have in common?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@obinjatoo@yahoo.com perhaps Magellan, Columbus and Joan of Arc were all on day release? (Joke)

Personally I think knowledge and education is always better than ignorance. Its what people do with knowledge that can be a problem. The answer is usually not to give them less knowledge, but to give them more.

Encouraging vs warning. That's an interesting way to put it. Back "in the day", whenever the hell that was, pilgrims didn't even have a compass and there were certainly no yellow arrows. And yet thousands of pilgrims arrived not ony Santiago, but Rome and Jerusalem. What if we didn't even have this forum? I just wonder sometimes if we give too much away. Parts of me think that we are dumbing ourselves down with all this "information". What did Magellan, Columbus and Joan of Arc all have in common?
Isn't sharing of information one of the reasons for being on this or any other forum? Otherwise why bother?

Isn't sharing of information one of the reasons to be on this or any other forum? Otherwise, why bother?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a riddle as you've guessed. And of course I love a good smart alec answer, it's my own forte as well.
And of course sharing the information is why we're on the forum but I find some lines of questioning stop just short of "and while you're at it can you walk this for me too?" I think there can be too much nformation. Part of the pilgrimage is the not knowing and stepping out. Like the adage says, "When you come to edge of all the light you have you will either find something solid to stand on or you will sprout wings and fly". It's a win-win.....

It's a riddle as you've guessed. And of course I love a good smart alec answer, it's my own forte as well.
And of course sharing the information is why we're on the forum but I find some lines of questioning stop just short of "and while you're at it can you walk this for me too?" I think there can be too much nformation. Part of the pilgrimage is the not knowing and stepping out. Like the adage says, "When you come to edge of all the light you have you will either find something solid to stand on or you will sprout wings and fly". It's a win-win.....

I think all of the advice I gained here prior to my Camino was invaluable. It helped me prepare and take the right gear.

But once there....it was great to just 'walk free' of any real cares..... and realise I was really getting worried and 'over thinking' about nothing.....

Well done. It isn't easy! It is hard physically and mentally. Still, many succeed, and you did.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the walk itself is not hard. It is just that my feet do not want to cooperate.”
Agree 200% with that line :) My feet (that were blister free the entire Camino so I got lucky ) still acted up after the first 10 miles each day , sore arches in spite of my custom made insoles that I really needed due to very high arches. ....and of course every morning the first 10 minutes....ouch ha ha. But congrats on being able to experience this amazing journey.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back