• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a camino companion

Raluca

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello,

My name is Raluca and I'm a 31 years old woman from Romania. For the last 6 months i've been preparing physically and mentally for the Camino. Now that there are only 3 weeks left until I start my journey I wonder if it's a good idea to walk it all alone or at least the first week. Is there anyone starting their journey on 19-20 june and don't mind having a cute and funny companion?

Thanks and buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't worry, you will find lots of companions along the way. No need to pre-arrange one!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you find an internet companion, he/she may be hard to ditch if you are not compatible!! If you find one was you walk, you can part easily by choosing a different walking speed, stopping point, or albergue. Think carefully about acquiring a millstone at the onset!;)

If you find an internet companion, he/she may be hard to ditch if you are not compatible!! If you find one was you walk, you can part easily by choosing a different walking speed, stopping point, or albergue. Think carefully about acquiring a millstone at the onset!;)
Yes, that's a good point. This was the reason that I decided to go alone in the first place. But now that is getting closer i'm thinking maybe it's not such a good idea to walk alone. I'm concerned about the safety not by being with myself all the time :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,

My name is Raluca and I'm a 31 years old woman from Romania. For the last 6 months i've been preparing physically and mentally for the Camino. Now that there are only 3 weeks left until I start my journey I wonder if it's a good idea to walk it all alone or at least the first week. Is there anyone starting their journey on 19-20 june and don't mind having a cute and funny companion?

Thanks and buen camino!

I agree don’t worry you will meet a fellow pilgrim or two the first day given your walking in June. You might consider joining the women’s only facebook group “CAMIGAS” where they have a spread sheet of dates people are starting or just post your start date and place there and the women will reply. Lots are walking early June. Buen camino !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree don’t worry you will meet a fellow pilgrim or two the first day given your walking in June. You might consider joining the women’s only facebook group “CAMIGAS” where they have a spread sheet of dates people are starting or just post your start date and place there and the women will reply. Lots are walking early June. Buen camino !
Hello and thank you for your response. I just joined the facebook group.

From reports of other forum members on the Norte at this time you will not be alone, in fact there seems to be more pilgrims than usual for this time of year.

I walked last June and there were many walking, not too many, but just enough:)

Buen Camino, the Norte is beautiful!

From reports of other forum members on the Norte at this time you will not be alone, in fact there seems to be more pilgrims than usual for this time of year.

I walked last June and there were many walking, not too many, but just enough:)

Buen Camino, the Norte is beautiful!

Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,

Thanks and buen camino!
Reluca, look! You have got lots of positive advice! I think that you are brave, as are so many other women who walk 'alone'. The trick is to be in close proximity to someone else, but also to be true to how you want to walk your camino. I would love to walk on my own someday. I am already retired, but when I am REALLY retired, maybe then... although it is just such a comfort to have a walking companion who takes me as I am. Have a wonderful Camino.

It's so crowded now on the del Norte that you don't have to worry about walking alone. Perhaps it will be the oposite, you wish you could be alono once in a while

I think the advice of just walking is great and you will meet wonderful folks along the way. I understand you may want that added comfort and security of a companion. Go to that Facebook website and put it out there. Maybe ask about experienced Pilgrims who can give you great tips and comfort. They will also be the ones who will understand that we all walk our own Caminos. So when you want to be alone they get it. If it is for an hour a day or even parting ways. They will not take it personally. Put it out there what you want and who you would like to walk with. You will attract the people you need to be with. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Reluca, look! You have got lots of positive advice! I think that you are brave, as are so many other women who walk 'alone'. The trick is to be in close proximity to someone else, but also to be true to how you want to walk your camino. I would love to walk on my own someday. I am already retired, but when I am REALLY retired, maybe then... although it is just such a comfort to have a walking companion who takes me as I am. Have a wonderful Camino.
That’s what I want, to have people in my proximity. Not necessarily to walk with someone beside me all the way. All this cheering help me a lot this days. I’m very happy i found you guys :)

It's so crowded now on the del Norte that you don't have to worry about walking alone. Perhaps it will be the oposite, you wish you could be alono once in a while
Ok, if i want to be alone i can walk fast :) thank you for your feedback!

I think the advice of just walking is great and you will meet wonderful folks along the way. I understand you may want that added comfort and security of a companion. Go to that Facebook website and put it out there. Maybe ask about experienced Pilgrims who can give you great tips and comfort. They will also be the ones who will understand that we all walk our own Caminos. So when you want to be alone they get it. If it is for an hour a day or even parting ways. They will not take it personally. Put it out there what you want and who you would like to walk with. You will attract the people you need to be with. Buen Camino
Yes, i already wrote on the facebook page. A lot of women are starting in the same period as I am. I’m sure I will meet a lot of great people along the way.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I appreciate that it is quieter at the beginning of May but I just walked a small section of the Del Norte from Irun to Bilbao and even whilst stopping to eat and rest would only see 2/3 other walkers all day never mind walk with them. That being said the way the accomadation was located you do see the same faces in the evenings. Point of note and this this was my problem and no one else's. Very few Anglo Speaking Walkers. Understandably lots of Spanish and French and then mostly German. Good company though.

Hello,

Thanks and buen camino!
Make a stop at Guemes to stay with Father Ernesto. A high light on the Notre
http://www.alberguedeguemes.com/historia.html

Make a stop at Guemes to stay with Father Ernesto. A high light on the Notre
http://www.alberguedeguemes.com/historia.html[/QUOTE
Hello,

Thanks and buen camino!
We are starting from Leon on June 23. If slow enough you might catch us! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,

Thanks and buen camino!
Hello Raluca :)

I too was concerned about walking alone on my first Camino, the Frances. I walked the Frances twice. I learned quickly I was not alone. I enjoyed the moments I was the only pilgrim in site.
Like you I will walk the Norte (2019) God willing. I choose the Norte for the challenge and the solitude that can be had while walking. Then I will enjoy the company of fellow pilgrims at the end of the day.
If you are solo now, then solo is the way to go.

I'm so excited for you. Buen Camino! :) Angela

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Raluca :)

I too was concerned about walking alone on my first Camino, the Frances. I walked the Frances twice. I learned quickly I was not alone. I enjoyed the moments I was the only pilgrim in site.
Like you I will walk the Norte (2019) God willing. I choose the Norte for the challenge and the solitude that can be had while walking. Then I will enjoy the company of fellow pilgrims at the end of the day.
If you are solo now, then solo is the way to go.

I'm so excited for you. Buen Camino! :) Angela
Thank you for your kind words. The camino is getting closer and closer and i'm more excited every day that passes by.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back