Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Looking for a casa rural to run on the Camino in Galicia?

Casa Licerio

Past OR future Camino
Samos, this great little town you just fall in love with!
After some years in Samos (Lugo - Galicia) I have to stay at home in Sweden so I am transfering my lease to the next passionate pilgrim hospitaler@ for 10,000€. Open to offers!

This utterly cozy house has a valid tourism license as B&B. Located on the Camino Francés, 12km from Sarria, an incredible location within 3 minutes from the Benedictine Monastery of San Xulián, in front of the supermarket and 2 minutes from restaurants, bars and cafes. It is fully equipped and functional, with all the inventory, equipment, supplies, amenities and everything you need to directly go on with business, including a new semi-industrial washing machine.

It has a maximum capacity for 12-13 people in 5 rooms: one on the first floor with a double bed and one single, and 4 rooms on the second floor (3 doubles and 1 triple), all with ensuite bathrooms, 2 of them with a balcony. In the 1st floor there is also a large dining room, kitchen, bathroom and a room that can be used as an auxiliary bedroom or for storage. The dryer is in the attic along with extra beds and other useful things.

I transfer my business for family reasons that keep me in my home country. For €10,000 you will get:
1. total access to Booking.com with its corresponding positioning, favorable guests's comments and 9.4 score, including reservations already made for the Xacobeo year 2021
2. business partners, such as multiple national and international travel agencies,
3. WiFi, fixed phone and mobile numbers which appear as contact in a considerable amount of websites promoting rural tourism as well as in various apps, pamphlets and books about the Camino de Santiago,
4. Gmail, Facebook and Instagram accounts
5. its own webbsite

If there is anything else you want to know, please contact me on +46 701 46 25 46, for WhatsApp +34 692 02 23 23 or casalicerio@gmail.com

Best regards and Buen Camino,
Cecilia

Attachments

• 20181005_155643 (1).jpg
    20181005_155643 (1).jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Fachada Sept 2019.jpg
    Fachada Sept 2019.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 183
  • Habitacion con cama supletoria 3 - Richtone(HDR).jpg
    Habitacion con cama supletoria 3 - Richtone(HDR).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
  • Habitacion doble con balcon (vieja).jpg
    Habitacion doble con balcon (vieja).jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Habitacion doble con balcon 5.jpg
    Habitacion doble con balcon 5.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 126
  • Habitacion Matrimonial - Richtone(HDR).jpg
    Habitacion Matrimonial - Richtone(HDR).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
  • Detalle Balcon 2.jpg
    Detalle Balcon 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
  • Detalle balcon recepcion.jpg
    Detalle balcon recepcion.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Detalle Cena.jpg
    Detalle Cena.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Detalle corredor de entrada.jpg
    Detalle corredor de entrada.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 188
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

TaraWalks

Peregrina without a skateboard
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016 & 2018, planning for Le Puy 2019/2020ish and for some shorter Caminos stacked
I too have lovely memories of staying there with my sister in 2016. We really loved it! What a wonderful opportunity.

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
After some years in Samos (Lugo - Galicia) I have to stay at home in Sweden so I am transfering my lease to the next passionate pilgrim hospitaler@ for 10,000€. Open to offers!

This utterly cozy house has a valid tourism license as B&B. Located on the Camino Francés, 12km from Sarria, an incredible location within 3 minutes from the Benedictine Monastery of San Xulián, in front of the supermarket and 2 minutes from restaurants, bars and cafes. It is fully equipped and functional, with all the inventory, equipment, supplies, amenities and everything you need to directly go on with business, including a new semi-industrial washing machine.

It has a maximum capacity for 12-13 people in 5 rooms: one on the first floor with a double bed and one single, and 4 rooms on the second floor (3 doubles and 1 triple), all with ensuite bathrooms, 2 of them with a balcony. In the 1st floor there is also a large dining room, kitchen, bathroom and a room that can be used as an auxiliary bedroom or for storage. The dryer is in the attic along with extra beds and other useful things.

I transfer my business for family reasons that keep me in my home country. For €10,000 you will get:
1. total access to Booking.com with its corresponding positioning, favorable guests's comments and 9.4 score, including reservations already made for the Xacobeo year 2021
2. business partners, such as multiple national and international travel agencies,
3. WiFi, fixed phone and mobile numbers which appear as contact in a considerable amount of websites promoting rural tourism as well as in various apps, pamphlets and books about the Camino de Santiago,
5. its own webbsite

If there is anything else you want to know, please contact me on +46 701 46 25 46, for WhatsApp +34 692 02 23 23 or casalicerio@gmail.com

Cecilia
A great opportunity for someone who is actually able to take it up under current circumstances.
You don't mention how long the lease is for...what length of time does the €10k buy?
Best wishes.
👣 🌏

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
A great opportunity for someone who is actually able to take it up under current circumstances.
You don't mention how long the lease is for...what length of time does the €10k buy?
Best wishes.
👣 🌏
I think you'll find 10k is the 'business' only.
The Lease is additional.

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
I think you'll find 10k is the 'business' only.
The Lease is additional.
🤔 Ah, I see...thanks @Robo. I have no idea what's involved in this sort of venture (clearly!) so I'm always curious about the opportunities people find. Very interesting. 😊
👣 🌏

peregrina2000

Staff member
So...? The business lease includes access to the building which one then rents from the owner who is?

I think the word is ”traspaso” in Spanish, and it means that you are getting the right to assume the business operation that this person is running. She lists the 5 things that this covers in the announcement. So essentially you are getting the right to be in her shoes, and then pay for everything just like she would have had to — lease, expenses, taxes, etc.

(Hope I have understood your question correctly)

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
I think the word is ”traspaso” in Spanish, and it means that you are getting the right to assume the business operation that this person is running. She lists the 5 things that this covers in the announcement. So essentially you are getting the right to be in her shoes, and then pay for everything just like she would have had to — lease, expenses, taxes, etc.

(Hope I have understood your question correctly)
Mmmm... no; all that I had already understood. We have the same kind of thing here; you can buy a business (including things like, for example, the recipes associated with a bakery), but the building can remain in the ownership of the person selling the business. So what I cannot tell in this thread is who owns the building. If it is the seller of the business, that would be pretty uncomplicated, but if it is some other party, then there is another piece in play that could complicate things. No?

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mmmm... no; all that I had already understood. We have the same kind of thing here; you can buy a business (including things like, for example, the recipes associated with a bakery), but the building can remain in the ownership of the person selling the business. So what I cannot tell in this thread is who owns the building. If it is the seller of the business, that would be pretty uncomplicated, but if it is some other party, then there is another piece in play that could complicate things. No?
I have a friend who is investigating this more and will let you know if I find out any more details. I know of at least two other albergues that were transferred this way in the last few years, and the person transferring the business was a lessee in both cases. They were able to command a premium for the established reputation, etc, but you’re right that the people coming into the business had to be careful to negotiate a new lease at the same time they negotiated for the transfer of the business. I wouldn‘t want to take that on, but then I don’t have an entrepreneurial bone in my body.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)

She mentions the building is leased.
And would transfer the lease.

Buying businesses can be a bit complicated and of course is dependant on local laws.

But fundamentally you 'could' be buying:

The Business. As in this case. The IP, the booking.com account etc. that allows you to operate as she did. Often things such as goodwill are included, brand names and the like. There would be an expectation of value in maintaining the 'business', return clients, good profile on social media accounts etc. There is a lot of value alone in having a good rating on booking.com for example

The Entity. This is the actual business itself. The business name, the accounts, stock, any equipment and property, and can also of course include debtors and creditors. Ongoing commitments to staff etc. So needs caution.

Premises. In this case, these appear to be leased. As is common. So that lease would need to be sighted, and taken over, or renegotiated.

Other parts of a Business can also be sold separately. Websites, customer database, IP, patents and so on. There are no hard and fast rules.

I have bought and sold a few businesses over the years and you need to take great care to ensure you know exactly what you are buying, what is included and what is not.

I think in this case Cecilia has made that fairly clear though

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Thanks Robo -- I think I am thrown by the inclusion of the 10K euros in the "transfer of the lease" statement. I did not know that a leasee could transfer the lease and the price seems rather low for business *and* lease...
I'd assume one would have to pay significantly more for the legal part of moving a lease over, etc etc.
Anyway, it's all mere curiosity on my part about how such things go.
Presently a business and building for sale in the vacation town near to where I have my shack in the woods, and it's 1.8 million CAD for the whole package (the business items you mention, the hardware associated with a dining location, and the real estate itself -- but that real estate would not be more than about $300K CAD). It's the oceanic divide in these numbers making me so curious...

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Thanks Robo -- I think I am thrown by the inclusion of the 10K euros in the "transfer of the lease" statement. I did not know that a leasee could transfer the lease and the price seems rather low for business *and* lease...
I'd assume one would have to pay significantly more for the legal part of moving a lease over, etc etc.
Anyway, it's all mere curiosity on my part about how such things go.
Presently a business and building for sale in the vacation town near to where I have my shack in the woods, and it's 1.8 million CAD for the whole package (the business items you mention, the hardware associated with a dining location, and the real estate itself -- but that real estate would not be more than about $300K CAD). It's the oceanic divide in these numbers making me so curious...

Ah........now you get into the realms of business 'valuations' :rolleyes:

There are many recognised ways to value a business, but a common one is a multiple of earnings (profits)
And the 'multiple' changes depending on the type of business, future expectations etc.

I'm certainly a novice at this. But let's say for example that vacation business, call it a small Hotel, returned a profit of $200,000 per annum. Not sales. But profit.

And let's say an accepted earnings multiple for small Hotels was x9.

Then it could be argued that a fair price for the Hotel is $1.8 million.

It's not really about the value of the property (building), but the value, and earnings potential of the 'Business' as a whole. If I took over this 'Business' how much money could I make.

This could be related to its location, average occupancy, amount of repeat business, long term contracts, deals with other local businesses, quality of staff, previous 5 years financial performance etc etc.

It's all about the 'expectation' of the future earnings of the business.

Another way of looking at it.

You could have a coffee cart on a sidewalk location in a big city, that is famous for its coffee.
People line up around the block to get the coffee.
It's a unique location, that the owner has the right to use somehow.
The coffee is really special. It's served in a unique way
It cannot be replicated.

The 'cart' might be worth $5,000.
The 'Business' might be worth $200,000!

Sorry, those in the US might not understand this analogy.
You all drink coffee at Starbucks, and enjoy it apparently! :eek:

;););)

Another example....... That's why some Tech companies have crazy valuations and stock prices.
It can all be down to future potential!

Last edited:

Cayou

Past OR future Camino
2015 Villafranca to SdC 2016 St Jean to LosArcos 2018 Leon to SdC 2019 Le Puy to Conques
My wife and I also stayed here in Oct 2018 ... very nice and would love to return again!

Camino Magnets
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

There are many recognised ways to value a business, but a common one is a multiple of earnings (profits)
And the 'multiple' changes depending on the type of business, future expectations etc.

I'm certainly a novice at this. But let's say for example that vacation business, call it a small Hotel, returned a profit of $200,000 per annum. Not sales. But profit.

It's not really about the value of the property (building), but the value, and earnings potential of the 'Business' as a whole. If I took over this 'Business' how much money could I make.

This could be related to its location, average occupancy, amount of repeat business, long term contracts, deals with other local businesses, quality of staff, previous 5 years financial performance etc etc.

You could have a coffee cart on a sidewalk location in a big city, that is famous for its coffee.
It cannot be replicated.

;););)

Another example....... That's why some Tech companies have crazy valuations and stock prices.

Yep — I understand about the valuation of the business. The oceanic divide I refer to is the difference between what is effectively 1.5 million for a bakery, and about 14,000 in my dollars for the albergue business. With a number that low for the business — even with a lease thrown is as extra on the building, I can’t tell if that is a steal or a sign of a stinker.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Yep — I understand about the valuation of the business. The oceanic divide I refer to is the difference between what is effectively 1.5 million for a bakery, and about 14,000 in my dollars for the albergue business. With a number that low for the business — even with a lease thrown is as extra on the building, I can’t tell if that is a steal or a sign of a stinker.

The bakery probably makes a profit ;)

nathanael

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Plata,
My husband and I have fond memories of our stay at Casa Licerio in 2018. The building is lovely and the hospitality could not be surpassed! Good luck to you, Cecelia, and we hope someone will continue the tradition!
looking at the photos of this place really shows how one would spend a tranquil stay. will certainly look it up when we are allowed back to Spain.

Casa Licerio

Past OR future Camino
Best wishes.
👣 🌏
The €10k is a one time fee. The lease is long term, up to 10 years. Thank you for your good wishes :)

josephmcclain

5. its own webbsite

Cecilia
Would be interested in knowing the length of the lease would be and what a renewal would be like. But interested.

Camino Magnets
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Holly Mitchem

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, del Norte 2019
I also have very fond memories of Casa Licerio. In 2016 the lease was held by a young woman from the US named Ashley. She did an amazing job. I believe she got engaged and returned to the States and transferred the lease. I remember we asked her about the lease, I believe it was more of a small tourist hotel until she took over and began marketing specifically to pilgrims. Staying with Ashley at Casa Licerio in Samos was one of our best nights on the Frances.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
@Casa Licerio
I have not seen any mention of the existing beds, furniture and Kitchen equipment, etc.

How is that to be handled?
Yes it was mentioned in the second paragraph of the original post.

It is fully equipped and functional, with all the inventory, equipment, supplies, amenities and everything you need to directly go on with business, including a new semi-industrial washing machine.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Primitivo (2019)
I also have very fond memories of Casa Licerio. In 2016 the lease was held by a young woman from the US named Ashley. She did an amazing job. I believe she got engaged and returned to the States and transferred the lease. I remember we asked her about the lease, I believe it was more of a small tourist hotel until she took over and began marketing specifically to pilgrims. Staying with Ashley at Casa Licerio in Samos was one of our best nights on the Frances.
I met Ashley at an albergue in Sarria in 2017. Such a nice person living her best life. I hope Casa Licerio will continue to prosper

Casa Licerio

Past OR future Camino
Dear pilgrims, friends and family,
I am thrilled to let you know that I have decided not to leave Casa Licerio and Samos!
2020 has been a huge challenge to me as Casa Licerio has remained closed since October 2019.Not only has the pandemic affected our health but also our livelihoods and is still threatening with having to close the house.
The good news is that I will fight this situation, I will take on the task of doing whatever it takes to remain open and offer you all a home away from home on the Camino... a place to rest, to recover, in order to continue your Pilgrimage.
I am really grateful for all your support and all the love I have felt from you during these troubled times, I know I am not alone. Thank you all, and special thanks to Ivar, Paul and Nina, for being there and helping me keep our door open! ❤

Thornley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .

It cannot be replicated.

;););)

If a person advertises the lease of a small pub the price will be 2.5 times the annual profit.
This means that after 2.5 yrs you should have recouped your outlay.
Now lets look at the most important aspect of this transaction.....how long is the lease ?
If the lease remaining is only 5 yrs you have only 2.5 yrs to make a quid and you cannot sell the business ....the lease duration has expired.
However if the lease was 5x5x5 yrs you have plenty of time to make and sell.
However remember market rent comes into effect when the option of renewal occurs , above is after the first 5 yrs.
The landlord gets your figures and the rent can be adjusted.
Unless there was a formal lease in place for the CR it would be a huge risk.
You fall out with the landlord and your $10k is gone.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
2021 Camino Guides

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
If a person advertises the lease of a small pub the price will be 2.5 times the annual profit.
This means that after 2.5 yrs you should have recouped your outlay.
Now lets look at the most important aspect of this transaction.....how long is the lease ?
If the lease remaining is only 5 yrs you have only 2.5 yrs to make a quid and you cannot sell the business ....the lease duration has expired.
However if the lease was 5x5x5 yrs you have plenty of time to make and sell.
However remember market rent comes into effect when the option of renewal occurs , above is after the first 5 yrs.
The landlord gets your figures and the rent can be adjusted.
Unless there was a formal lease in place for the CR it would be a huge risk.
You fall out with the landlord and your $10k is gone.
Fortunately, not an issue any more. As per post #29, the CR is off the market. :)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads