• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a good 20 day walk

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am starting my Camino 2015 planning and have already gotten some good ideas. But I'm getting more focused and could use some more input.

I have blocked out about 14 days for a few days from Ponferrada-Penalba-As Medulas and then on the Invierno into Santiago. I have about 20 more days I can walk. Here's what I'm looking for. Would like to start at the originating point, and would like to end up in a place where I can easily get to Ponferrada by public transit. Need a northern route because I won't be starting till early June, and I'm not a hot weather walker unless absolutely necessary.

My two top contenders so far are

-- Figueras/St. Pere - Montserrat - Zaragoza (Cami Girona and part of one of the Cami Catala routes)

-- Tortosa to Logrono (Ruta del Ebro)

Are there other good choices that I am missing? Does anyone have preferences between the two?
I know it's early to start planning, but I can't resist! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey, Laurie,

what about one or some combination of these:
- Camino Manchego (130kms),
- Via Augusta (160kms),
- Camino del Sur (190kms),
- Camino Torres (360kms) ???

;)

Hola Laurie. We are looking at the Camino del Mar again - Ribadeo to Xubia (Ferrol) and then the Inglés. Then you can bus? to Ponferrada easily?
We have a reasonable itinerary which I could PM you. How far do you want to walk maximum in a day? It makes a difference to the San Andrés de Teixido stages.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie how about starting in Salamanca and walking the Camin(h)o Torres as far as Ponte de Lima or Valencia/Tui, the later places would give you 18 clear stages as indicated by the website for this route. One of the forum posts this year said it was way marked along its length if a bit patchy in places, the forum poster pointed out where these are. I'm not sure if there are direct links between Tui and Ponferrada, but it easy enough to go into Santiago from both places, so there is a link.
Good planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realised the top poster put caminho Torres, oops, note to self, read other posts more carefully!

Hi, Kinky, Tia and Mike
Many thanks for all those ideas. I had thought about the Torres before. The route it takes really looks nice, I have been in many of the places along the route. But I know a Spaniard who walked it and I believe it is almost 100% on the road. That's not for me.

I've walked a couple of day hikes near the Camino del Sur when I spent a few days near Aracena. It is lovely. But CaroleH on the forum tried it a few years ago and I think they ultimately gave up because of no arrows.

Manchego is a possibility but it's kind of short and I have walked the Levante, which is what it joins in Toledo.

The Agusta would also be a possibility but it's a few days short too and I've walked from Sevilla. But for me the real problem on that one is the heat. I know, it'd only be June, but I'm a wimp.

Camino del Mar and the Ingles could also work, but I think I only want to walk into Santiago once. Maybe I'll use that as the end of another camino some year, after you walk it Tia and tell me all about it.

With lots of info from sulu, I am now leaning towards the Girona and Catalan from Port de la Selva to Zaragoza, from there to Ponferrada. I had really wanted to connect from Montserrat to the route that goes to San Juan de la Pena and the ARagones, but that made it too long. So this is a good alternative, and that means that the next time I walk in Catalunya, I can start in Montserrat, not repeat too much, and then veer north to get back to San Juan de la Pena.

But I'm still open to other great ideas! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No problem Laurie, I had a feeling from Lamego onwards there might be a lot of asphalt but thought the sections before might be out in the wilds.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back