• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a good hiking map of Île-de-France

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Primitivo, Inglés+Fisterra/Muxía
Hi,

I'm starting from Paris in late May to walk the Via Turonensis as far as Chartres (for now!), and am in search of a good hiking map :)

I have the Lepere guide and Google Maps, but my intended route is slightly different from the one suggested by the guide, and the maps in the book are rather difficult to read; as for Google Maps, I prefer to have a paper map just in case. Oh, and I just love paper maps :D

I found this map, and it looks like the right choice, but maybe someone knows of something better?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In addition to the helpful information provided on this forum, I have also used with success tourist bureaus in both France and Spain. So...

I do not know of anything better than the map you have found, but if no forum member is able to come forward with a confident response to your question, I would check out the link below and query* the FFRP or the Comité départemental de la randonnée pédestre in the department(s) in which you want to hike. The link also includes a link to the French IGN maps which may possibly provide the exact answer to your question.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/paris/lifestyle/sports-leisure/walking-hiking

Another possible source to query is this French hiking forum:
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip.php?page=forumgeneral

Hope this may help. Bon chemin.

Tom

*query means translating your inquiry into French or start in French, excusing yourself, using some form of online translator, and then switch to English.

Your best bet is to get a blue French IGN map when you get to Paris, for the area as far as Epernon. (ETA These are very large scale maps and you may need more than one, but they are totally worth it.)
Once you get to Epernon, there are custom maps and superb directions available from the Eure-et-Loir pilgrims' association:

http://www.compostelle28.org

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back