• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a good place to start hostal on Camino del Norte

Roos

Hi everybody,
My partner and I are looking into following our dream:starting or taking over a hostal (or albergue, but probably hostal) somewhere on the camino del norte.
We would love to know on what sections accomodation is scarce. And does anybody have any tips on things for sale. We will actually start in bilbao and walk/ drive westwards next week, but any tips in advance are welcome!

Thanks so much!

Roos

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everybody,
My partner and I are looking into following our dream:starting or taking over a hostal (or albergue, but probably hostal) somewhere on the camino del norte.
We would love to know on what sections accomodation is scarce. And does anybody have any tips on things for sale. We will actually start in bilbao and walk/ drive westwards next week, but any tips in advance are welcome!

Thanks so much!

Roos
Considering how fast things are changing on the various Caminos, and the fact that such a venture is a long term one, I would not base my decision on current scarcity of accomodations. Take for examples all the new accomodations between Santiago and Finisterre and Muxia that are now available. Would be a pity to invest in a property just to find out somone has done the exact same thing 1 km before you, especially if you are not in a area you love.

Also, as the roads do not always take you (thankfully) along the Camino, I would not drive around to find a place but walk the Camino. Walk it slowly, learning about the towns, villages, bus services, trains, where you could find the supplies you would need to run your albergue. That is, in my opinion, how you will best discover what pilgrims experience, when they may be struggling, when they may ready to stop, where they may love to stop to enjoy the area and not just walk through it, as well as gage manageability of the operation. You can also listen to pilgrims and do your market research that way.

I have seen many lovely people running albergues that were special in their own way, yet struggling to get them filled, while people raced to get a bed elsewhere. I think this has to be a labour of love, a lifestyle you choose for yourself, and not an income you would depend on, at least initially.

I wish you the best of luck and would love to hear about your process as you develop this project further.

Just top of my head, the distance between Santander and Santillana del mar is a bit too long for a day. I had to stay at a hostal/hotel in a town 10 km after Santander so I can make it to santillana del mar the following day. That might be a good place for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just top of my head, the distance between Santander and Santillana del mar is a bit too long for a day. I had to stay at a hostal/hotel in a town 10 km after Santander so I can make it to santillana del mar the following day. That might be a good place for you.
Hi Evan, I don't know when you walked the Camino del Norte nor at which time of the year, but last September there were plenty of options past Santander: in Santa Cruz de la Bezana (a private one and a more comunal one, a la Guemes), in Boo de Pielagos, and even in Polanco. And in Santillana itself, and this was a much welcomed surprise, there is not only the muni at the back of the museum but one in a magnificent old house as you turn right toward la Colegiata from the main road. I hear that Portugalete has over 70 people some night this summer: some are invited to use tents in the backyard, but the overflow has to sleep under the church's porch! San Vicente could use a cleaner one, although the location in the Casco Viejo is excellent.

Thanks everybody for your replies! Anemone, we might take your advice into consideration. We have found our dream house close to Trabada. You might have never heard of this place and that's because the camino splits up Just before Ribadeo. The original historical route goes past Vegadeo and later Trabada. The modern route travels over the bridge to Ribadeo. Unfortunately for us nearly all pilgrims talke the modern way to stay in Ribadeo and visit the playa de catedrales.
However, the place we found near Trabada really is everything we are looking for. We realize that business wise buying the trabada place is really not the best thing to do, but as we are not dependent on our income from the albergue, at least not the first few years, we might just go for it.
We have done our research regarding the two diffetent routes and the numbers of pilgrims on them, but thoughts and advice are very welcome!
Thanks!
Roos

Let us know your progress - if you are up and running by next May I may see you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The original way may not be busy at the moment, but a presence of an an Albergue can change that, especially if it has a good reputation. It may be up to you as well to walk or travel the route between Tol and Lourenza occasionally to make sure that there are clear arrows pointing the way, it will give you the added bonus of knowing the route and being able to help with questions. I would like to walk this way if there is an albergue.

Good Luck

Mike

Considering how fast things are changing on the various Caminos, and the fact that such a venture is a long term one, I would not base my decision on current scarcity of accomodations. Take for examples all the new accomodations between Santiago and Finisterre and Muxia that are now available. Would be a pity to invest in a property just to find out somone has done the exact same thing 1 km before you, especially if you are not in a area you love.

Also, as the roads do not always take you (thankfully) along the Camino, I would not drive around to find a place but walk the Camino. Walk it slowly, learning about the towns, villages, bus services, trains, where you could find the supplies you would need to run your albergue. That is, in my opinion, how you will best discover what pilgrims experience, when they may be struggling, when they may ready to stop, where they may love to stop to enjoy the area and not just walk through it, as well as gage manageability of the operation. You can also listen to pilgrims and do your market research that way.

I have seen many lovely people running albergues that were special in their own way, yet struggling to get them filled, while people raced to get a bed elsewhere. I think this has to be a labour of love, a lifestyle you choose for yourself, and not an income you would depend on, at least initially.

I wish you the best of luck and would love to hear about your process as you develop this project further.

Great advice !

... We have found our dream house close to Trabada. ... the place we found near Trabada really is everything we are looking for. ... we are not dependent on our income from the albergue, at least not the first few years, ...
Roos

I think you should just go for it! Like others have said, the existence of a good albergue can change the way the pilgrims prefer! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everybody,

Thanks so much!

Roos
We've been talking about the same thing. I'd like to know how you are doing with the planning & decision making. Great luck to you both!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back