• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a long walk?

HedaP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you'd be pretty disappointed to have made it 2/3 of the way on a walk predicated on the idea of walking "without getting your feet wet in a lake, sea or ocean" to then just fall right into the Suez Canal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you'd be pretty disappointed to have made it 2/3 of the way on a walk predicated on the idea of walking "without getting your feet wet in a lake, sea or ocean" to then just fall right into the Suez Canal.
Is a canal a lake, sea or ocean? And I bet there are some serious river crossings involved. It’s just a fun post. Relax and enjoy.
Still tossing up whether Dervla Murphy would walk it with a mule and a six year old or cycle it?

I guess I didn't articulate it well. I wasn't trying to say that a canal is a lake, sea or ocean, more just pointing out the pointlessness of predicating a walk on avoiding certain water elements but including others. I'm plenty relaxed, don't worry. Do emojis help? :cool:

I guess I didn't articulate it well. I wasn't trying to say that a canal is a lake, sea or ocean, more just pointing out the pointlessness of predicating a walk on avoiding certain water elements but including others. I'm plenty relaxed, don't worry. Do emojis help? :cool:
Your comment about the Suez Canal made me first grin and then curious. If you click your way back to the guy who originally came up with this line you'll see that he calls it "the longest distance you can travel between two points in straight line without crossing any ocean or any major water bodies". He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in walking :).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your comment about the Suez Canal made me first grin and then curious. If you click your way back to the guy who originally came up with this line you'll see that he calls it "the longest distance you can travel between two points in straight line without crossing any ocean or any major water bodies". He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in walking :).

Or turning corners! :D

This belongs in the "NOT a serious thread" thread but what is the longest long walk on a short pier that you can take without hitting sea, lake or water? I've got to know because people keep telling me to take one.

I guess the trick for not getting wet would be to start walking at the water end and head inland. Wigan Pier would probably be your best bet for short pier selection :)

1519045654744.png1519045654744.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No idea why people would send me things like this or why I would feel the need to share it on this forum?;)...
“The longest straight line you can walk on earth without hitting sea, lake or water. (13,589 km / 8,443 miles)“.
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/th...hina-to-liberia.amp?__twitter_impression=true
¡Buen camino grande!
@HedaP
For someone considering a long pilgrimage route, in the autumn of 2015 I met two Korean pilgrims in Emaus Albergue in Burgos who had bicycled from Korea. It took them 22 months. I don't know how long it would take to walk it.

@HedaP
For someone considering a long pilgrimage route, in the autumn of 2015 I met two Korean pilgrims in Emaus Albergue in Burgos who had bicycled from Korea. It took them 22 months. I don't know how long it would take to walk it.

13,589km divided by 30km per day gives you 453 days or 65 weeks or a year and a quarter. Obviously you could go faster or slower and would need to make allowances for weather and wars.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apologies mate, just reread the quote in my original post and you are quite right about getting feet wet. :)

Apologies mate, just reread the quote in my original post and you are quite right about getting feet wet. :)

No worries. Surely even pilgrims who despise lakes, seas and oceans don't mind getting their feet wet in the occasional river or canal from time to time. :p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Karl Bushby is currently walking from the tip of South America to his home in Hull, England. He left in 1998 from Punta Arenas in Chile and is currently somewhere in Mongolia.

The Bering Strait between Russian and the USA freezes so it was possible for him to walk between the continents.

He walked through the Darien Gap which is pretty damn dangerous (joining Colombia and Panama).

The owners of the Channel Tunnel have made an exception that they will allow him to walk back into England from France under the English Channel.

I guess this would be the longest possible walk? (just read it's 36,000 miles. That's a lot of Caminos!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Bushby

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/galleries/the-walk-around-the-world/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/976427.Giant_Steps

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back