• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a new route, not too solitary or difficult

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi everyone, well done on the new website. Gradually finding my way around it - very slick! I'm looking for a new route to walk that's not too difficult or too solitary, or too long between places to stay. I am wondering about walking the Ingles (but reading the posts it seems a lot of it is in built up areas?) How do I find the 'Johnny walker post' about the Ingles? Really just wanted to look at a list of stages with distances and albergues. Anyone done it recently in easy stages?
So great to have this forum! Thanks everyone ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would advise you though, that the Ingles can be fairly solitary. I walked it in late August 2011 (typically a busy time) and had the Albergue in Pontedeume entirely to myself! While I, personally, enjoyed the solitude (I'd been on the road for a while), I found the Ingles to be the least social and most solitary of the the routes I've walked (Frances, Primitivo, & Norte).

That said, if you're looking for a relatively easy walk that can be completed about a week, the Ingles is a great option. Particularly with the new Albergue in Betanzos, it is easy to break the route into fairly short/manageable stages.

Thank you so much. A wealth of information here.
Hi Marigold - welcome to the forum!
Regarding numbers of pilgrims, much will depend on the month you decide to walk your camino. The 'summer' months July to September will see an influx of pilgrims walking on most of the routes. I had company most of the way on the Portuguese [Porto to SdC] in April 2011, and think there will be more now. It is a beautiful camino.
Some of us are happy with our own company - I like a bit of solitude during the day, but cherish meeting up with my 'camino family' in the evening and also during the day over a coffee or a wine in a local bar. If you walk during those summer months, you're almost bound to have company if/when you want it: and, indeed, there may be loads of fellow pilgrims as you get closer to Santiago.
Whatever route you choose, whichever month you start ..... Buen Camino!

Hi Marigold,

The Jonny Walker guide is superb so yes that is your first port of call. I must say I loved the Camino Ingles as it was my very first camino and still talk about it all the time. The difference was that I did it with a mate so we were happy enough plodding along alone. We did not meet many fellow walkers at all so if it's company you are looking for this might not be your best option. We did it in September 2012, you can read about it and have a laugh at our blog details of which should be linked in my signature below.

Not too much of the walk was in built up areas, maybe a bit leaving Ferrol yes but it's a great walk. We did it over x4 days walking 40K from Bruma into Santiago on the last day...I would not do that again but we were stuck for time and Benino in the albergue in Bruma convinced us we could do it (which reminds me I must post him a Christmas card).

Happy to take any questions and good luck with whatever you decide,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone, well done on the new website. Gradually finding my way around it - very slick! I'm looking for a new route to walk that's not too difficult or too solitary,
So great to have this forum! Thanks everyone ;)
You could also consider the Camino Portugese from Tui which can be achieved in short stages, has plenty of accommodation options and other pilgrims too !

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back