• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a reliable tour guide/agency for biking the Camino

benthomason

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid route (2017)
My wife was just diagnosed with a knee issue that will prevent us from walking this May. Looking for recommendations for a highly reliable bike tour operator for plan B. Thanks for the help! Ben

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ben, I biked the Camino Frances in 2014.

I do not know of a tour guide. Hope someone else can give you that information.

If you do not have bikes, I can give you the name of a bike rental company.

As far as riding bike on the Camino, there were areas that I could not ride on the Camino. And had to ride on the highway. Trucks bothered me the most!

I did many Km's walking my bike up hill. So, want to warn you...you will be walking, sometimes, long distances. Pushing your bike.

Mandatory to wear helmet (Casco). Wouldn't ride without it on anyway.

You might be cheaper off to just buy a bike on arrival than paying for a tour guide ;-) Plus you would be more flexible/independent in your Camino planning. I am sure the experienced bicigrinos here on this forum (welcome btw!) are happy to give you advice where to buy or even rent a bike. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A couple of preliminary questions: how much cycle experience do you and partner have?; what sort of Camino experience are you looking for?
The experience question is important - especially if you are looking at doing the whole Camino (or at least from Pamplona). There are a number of places where the walking Camino is really not suitable for ANY bike. (Have a look back at some posts in this section - from me and especially Newfydog);
Camino experience - most of the tour companies (that I am aware off) offer something well above the usual walking pilgrim experience - much of your heavy bags transported daily; stay in 2 or 3 star accommodation; ride only selected sections. So again my recommendation do some more research (you have 6 months or more) and training - as posted above some of those hills are bloody tough (and steep). The recommendation to buy a relatively inexpensive mountain/hybrid style bike (one that can handle a pack-rack and carry panniers - up to say 10 kg) is a practical one. You can sell it cheaply to a uni student in Santiago!There are a couple of good cycle shops in Pamplona you contact. (From what I remember none of the rental companies will allow you to take their bikes to St Jean (ie France).) Good tyres are a must; (not quite All Terrain - but made for tougher tracks). Hopefully this will give you some ideas; raise questions; etc. Happy for you to come back here or via PM if you have more questions. Buen Camino.:)

Hi ,
I have cycled fro Le Puy to SJPD and from Porto up to Santiago. First trip bought two cheap bikes in decathalon, nothing special in them, had no problems sometimes went on camino track othertimes went on small roads off track, biggest problem, if it is wet your gears will clog up on the track then you need to be able to carry out some bike maintenance. Met some serious bike riders with some serious bikes who laughed that we were going to Santiago on "That" bike, had a great cycle if the wheels turn then wheather the bike costs 1000s or 100 euro it will go. Second trip brought my own bike over I cycle a Giant hybrid (See pic on avitar) with Butterfly bars and suspension seat and a granny gear for big hills and have taken it places where serious mountain bikers would look twice. Sometimes you may have to push your bike wheather through mud or up steep hills. Enjoy the adventure, remember all your utterances may not be prayers oon occasion.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi ,
I have cycled fro Le Puy to SJPD and from Porto up to Santiago. Second trip brought my own bike over I cycle a Giant hybrid (See pic on avitar) with Butterfly bars and suspension seat and a granny gear for big hills and have taken it places where serious mountain bikers would look twice.
Hola Edward - I have (and rode) exactly the same bike as yours - although mine does not have the mudgards/splashgards. I do agree about the hills (the pushing) and on occasions even walking down - too many walkers to ride around. Cheers

I am working with Cycle Fiesta. Lucia is very responsive and helpful. I have decided my stages and hotels and layover days. You set your own budget for hotels.

We are traveling next spring on the Via de la Plata from Sevilla.

They can organize bike rentals or you can take your own.

As many here will tell you, you can do it all on your own without a tour company, but if you want to have everything organized, then go with a tour company.

Best wishes and Buen camino.

My wife was just diagnosed with a knee issue that will prevent us from walking this May. Looking for recommendations for a highly reliable bike tour operator for plan B. Thanks for the help! Ben

I cycled this May from Pamplona to Santiago, with a gap of about 100 miles between Sahagun and Ponferrada. I made sure I biked the last 200 km to get a Compostella, but the rain was so horrible before Sahagun and the next few days after that I took the train for part of the trip, to retain balance to my pilgrimage. The Camino trail was very muddy in places, so even though I had wanted to take the trail I spent more time on the roads than I had planned.

I complement you on your Plan B! Expect a Plan C and D. The knee issue for your wife could be challenging. There is no reason that you and she couldn't go to a train station, have her leap frog forward and meet you 60 km ahead for dinner. She could scope out the town, get a bottle of wine at a hotel/hostle and meet you when you arrive.

Lots of alternatives. Remember to have her get fitted for a good knee brace before you leave home and try riding with it. If she doesn't need it, just put it in your luggage.

Speaking of luggage, if for some reason, her knee acts up. There are taxi and couriour services that will forward your bags for 3 to 5 Euro a bag. Many only want to do 20 km, but some if pressed (before money changes hands) will take them farther. Lightening the load she has to pedal is another good contingency.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back