• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a 'retreat' to stay at in Jerusalem

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I hope to arrive in Jerusalem about December 6, after walking from Jaffa. This will be the culmination of a walk started in Canterbury, England some years ago. I will spend a few days in Jerusalem and would prefer to stay in a place that encourages reflection (and possibly wallow in nostalgia 😥 or perhaps 🥳) after such a long pilgrimage, rather than in a hostel, B&B or hotel. This place gives you an idea of what I am looking for. By way of background, I spent some wonderful nights in Franciscan convents and at the Hospice at the Col St Grand Bernard while walking the VF.

Does anyone have other suggestions about similar places to stay in Jerusalem?

I did a quick google search, but it seemed to throw up 'events' eg meditation or Yoga courses, which I am not looking for.

Bob M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope to arrive in Jerusalem about December 6, after walking from Jaffa. This will be the culmination of a walk started in Canterbury, England some years ago. I will spend a few days in Jerusalem and would prefer to stay in a place that encourages reflection (and possibly wallow in nostalgia 😥 or perhaps 🥳) after such a long pilgrimage, rather than in a hostel, B&B or hotel. This place gives you an idea of what I am looking for. By way of background, I spent some wonderful nights in Franciscan convents and at the Hospice at the Col St Grand Bernard while walking the VF.

I did a quick google search, but it seemed to throw up 'events' eg meditation or Yoga courses, which I am not looking for.

Bob M

Bob - I regret I cannot help, but could I make the unnecessary comment that yours is a quite outstanding achievement.

Have you maintained a blog anywhere?

Bob - I regret I cannot help, but could I make the unnecessary comment that yours is a quite outstanding achievement. Have you maintained a blog anywhere?

If you search the forum for 'Bob M' and trawl through the results you will find my posts about the Via Francigena (walked over 3 years, a month at a time roughly) and also the final leg so far from Rome to Bari on the Via Francigena nel Sud.

Many were posts from the field sent on my mobile phone, so they are disorganized and a bit of a mess, but there may be something interesting among them. The other value in these posts are the replies from others on the forum, which make the whole thing a bit more real.

Thanks for your kind comment. There are others who post here occasionally who have done some truly remarkable walks. I respect them greatly.

Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bob,
Several years ago my wife and I stayed at Christ Church guest house. It is just inside the walls of the old city. It was a haven for us from the busy city. It may not be as contemplative as you are seeking but I found city full of those. It was so nice to just walk out of the gate and be in the middle of it all.
Congratulations on your monumental journey. What a great place to end it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could PM @scruffy1 as he lives there.

With a name like scruffy, we could be soulmates. Scruffy describes me perfectly after a few weeks on my long walks.

Excuse me if I also use this post to say 'thank you' to the sainted Michael B for taking the trouble to find such excellent suggestions for me and to the patriarch (see his photo) aka 'Vancouver pilgrim' for his specific suggestion.

Bob M

Bob M
Hi Bob,
Wow...the achievement of a long-term, multi-stage goal...amazing!
Apologies in advance for diverting from your question but may I query your Jaffa to Jerusalem trail? I will be in Israel May next year (2020) & am currently researching walking options. No matter what else I do whilst there, I want to walk to Jerusalem.
Is your option an actual trail (or part thereof) or a DIY? Also will you be going coastal to Tel Aviv & then inland to Jerusalem or inland the whole way?
Again, sorry for the divert! 😁
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Bob,
Wow...the achievement of a long-term, multi-stage goal...amazing! . . . I will be in Israel May next year (2020) & am currently researching walking options. . . .Is your option an actual trail (or part thereof) or a DIY? Also will you be going coastal to Tel Aviv & then inland to Jerusalem or inland the whole way?

Unfortunately I can't go overland from Bari (ferry to Durres in Albania, Via Engatia to Istanbul, somehow to Antalya, somehow to Israel as I planned a few years ago. I posted in this forum a few years ago about my trials and tribulations (aka spineless excuses).

I am doing this last leg as simply as possible. I will start at the water's edge in Jaffa (ancient port) with a simple foot dipping ceremony of my own devising and walk pretty directly to Jerusalem via Ramla, Neve Shalom, Moshav Shoresh, Kibbutz Tzuba and Ein Karem. The route includes bits of the INT and Jerusalem Trails - by chance, not design. It is about 87km all up. I will take it very easy over about 5 days, with ample time to enjoy myself at this tail-end of my total journey.

The challenge is working out accommodation, especially around Shabat Friday/Saturday) when some providers close. There are some convenient Trail Angels for my route, but I am not sure I want all the hassle of arranging that each day.

I am planning the walk using Google Maps/street view. I started a separate thread on the forum about that process some weeks ago, which was extremely helpful.

BTW, I bought two paper maps (1:00k scale) covering the route, but they are in Hebrew and not particularly helpful due to the scale and far too much detail. I may decide to give them away, so keep an eye out.

Anyway, I hope this is useful.

Bob M

Unfortunately I can't go overland from Bari (ferry to Durres in Albania, Via Engatia to Istanbul, somehow to Antalya, somehow to Israel as I planned a few years ago. I posted in this forum a few years ago about my trials and tribulations (aka spineless excuses).

I am doing this last leg as simply as possible. I will start at the water's edge in Jaffa (ancient port) with a simple foot dipping ceremony of my own devising and walk pretty directly to Jerusalem via Ramla, Neve Shalom, Moshav Shoresh, Kibbutz Tzuba and Ein Karem. The route includes bits of the INT and Jerusalem Trails - by chance, not design. It is about 87km all up. I will take it very easy over about 5 days, with ample time to enjoy myself at this tail-end of my total journey.

The challenge is working out accommodation, especially around Shabat Friday/Saturday) when some providers close. There are some convenient Trail Angels for my route, but I am not sure I want all the hassle of arranging that each day.

I am planning the walk using Google Maps/street view. I started a separate thread on the forum about that process some weeks ago, which was extremely helpful.

BTW, I bought two paper maps (1:00k scale) covering the route, but they are in Hebrew and not particularly helpful due to the scale and far too much detail. I may decide to give them away, so keep an eye out.

Anyway, I hope this is useful.

Bob M
Many thanks Bob...I'll plot the places you mention on a map.
I'm using Larnaca (Cyprus) as my approach point. I was hoping to go by ferry to Israel but the service no longer runs due to the refugee crisis & security concerns so I'll take the short flight to Tel Aviv instead.
Yes, Shabbat is an unavoidable aspect to be worked around. I also would prefer not to rely on Trail Angels & don't want to camp so....it takes some sorting out!
I'll track down your other threads on planning.
Best wishes for the remainder of your journey. 😊
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I was about to type “Ecce Homo” as a recommendation but see that you have already referenced it. I’ve stayed there now at least 8 times and it is now the only place I stay in Jerusalem - you can be as involved in the daily religious life or as uninvolved as you feel (even on my work solo visits I’ve being joined on the terrace by a few of the sisters or other pilgrims sharing some wine)! You’ll always meet very interesting people and you can be a recluse- or a social butterfly, depending on how you feel!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many thanks Bob...I'll plot the places you mention on a map.
I'm using Larnaca (Cyprus) as my approach point. I was hoping to go by ferry to Israel but the service no longer runs due to the refugee crisis & security concerns so I'll take the short flight to Tel Aviv instead.
Yes, Shabbat is an unavoidable aspect to be worked around. I also would prefer not to rely on Trail Angels & don't want to camp so....it takes some sorting out!
I'll track down your other threads on planning.
Best wishes for the remainder of your journey. 😊👣 🌏

I periodically check out the Cyprus option, but as you found the ferry service is discontinued. Depending on the time of year, you can do 3-day cruises to and from Israel. It is also possible to take a freighter from Monfalcone in north-east Italy or Salerno near Naples to Ashdod via various ports. I looked at it with the view of walking from Ashdod to Jerusalem but you have to fit in with sailing times that might vary by a few days depending on loading/unloading cargo etc. It was not practical for me. It would be nice to do such a trip from Salerno if you had already walked the VF to Rome. Salerno is a nice stroll from Rome. Freighter Expeditions has details of these and other freighter trips. It's a nice relaxing way to travel if you have the time.

WikiLoc has details of many hiking tracks (GPX files etc). There are quite a few in Israel that might give you a few ideas.

BTW, my route is mostly on roads, which makes navigation easier but the actual walking less enjoyable.

Here are details of a few places to stay that might help you:

Sadot Hotel, אסף סנטר, Tzrifin, Israel: Located in Assaf Harofeh Hospital. Google Plus Code to find loc in Google Maps: XR9R+8X Tzrifin, Israel. Ph +972 8-919-9100. Website: https://www.atlas.co.il/sadot-hotel-tel-aviv. SA 264/night.

SpaHouse. Address Derech HaMaccabim 8, Rishon LeTsiyon, 7535949, Israel (Hebrew דרך המכבים 8, ראשון לציון, 7535949) Plus Code: XRF5+R4 Rishon LeTsiyon, Israel. Ph +972 3-940-0070. Ph(2): 1700-70-86-70. malon.spahouse@gmail.com. $A178 Booking.com weblink.

Shumacher Booking.com link to hotel

Nef Shalom Hotel Booking.com link

Green Hills Hotel, Shoresh, https://www.shoresh.co.il/en/

Tzuba Hotel Tzova, 9087000, Israel, צובה, 9087000, Plus Code Q4M9+VJ Tzova, Israel. Ph: +972 2-534-7000 Website https://www.tzubahotel.co.il/en/ Closed Thu night & Fri.

Hotels: Rosary Sister Guest House Ein Karem. HaBikur Stairs 3, Jerusalem, Israel, מדרגות הביקור 3, ירושלים. Plus Code Q585+GV Jerusalem, Israel. $283/ni. Booking.com link

Convent of the Sisters of Sion. Plus Code Q595+6Q Jerusalem, Israel. Ph: +972 2-641-5738. Does not say if they take guests. Same for the other convent Ratisbonne Notre Dame De Sion Convent. Link

Apart from the religious places in Jerusalem, the Jerusalem Tower Hotel is also convenient. . Booking.com link

Bob M

Last edited:
I was about to type “Ecce Homo” as a recommendation but see that you have already referenced it. I’ve stayed there now at least 8 times and it is now the only place I stay in Jerusalem

Thanks for that. Sounds exactly what I want. I will definitely check it out.

Bob M

I periodically check out the Cyprus option, but as you found the ferry service is discontinued. Depending on the time of year, you can do 3-day cruises to and from Israel. It is also possible to take a freighter from Monfalcone in north-east Italy or Salerno near Naples to Ashdod via various ports. I looked at it with the view of walking from Ashdod to Jerusalem but you have to fit in with sailing times that might vary by a few days depending on loading/unloading cargo etc. It was not practical for me. It would be nice to do such a trip from Salerno if you had already walked the VF to Rome. Salerno is a nice stroll from Rome. Freighter Expeditions has details of these and other freighter trips. It's a nice relaxing way to travel if you have the time.

WikiLoc has details of many hiking tracks (GPX files etc). There are quite a few in Israel that might give you a few ideas.

BTW, my route is mostly on roads, which makes navigation easier but the actual walking less enjoyable.

Here are details of a few places to stay that might help you:

Sadot Hotel, אסף סנטר, Tzrifin, Israel: Located in Assaf Harofeh Hospital. Google Plus Code to find loc in Google Maps: XR9R+8X Tzrifin, Israel. Ph +972 8-919-9100. Website: https://www.atlas.co.il/sadot-hotel-tel-aviv. SA 264/night.

SpaHouse. Address Derech HaMaccabim 8, Rishon LeTsiyon, 7535949, Israel (Hebrew דרך המכבים 8, ראשון לציון, 7535949) Plus Code: XRF5+R4 Rishon LeTsiyon, Israel. Ph +972 3-940-0070. Ph(2): 1700-70-86-70. malon.spahouse@gmail.com. $A178 Booking.com weblink.

Shumacher Booking.com link to hotel

Nef Shalom Hotel Booking.com link

Green Hills Hotel, Shoresh, https://www.shoresh.co.il/en/

Tzuba Hotel Tzova, 9087000, Israel, צובה, 9087000, Plus Code Q4M9+VJ Tzova, Israel. Ph: +972 2-534-7000 Website https://www.tzubahotel.co.il/en/ Closed Thu night & Fri.

Hotels: Rosary Sister Guest House Ein Karem. HaBikur Stairs 3, Jerusalem, Israel, מדרגות הביקור 3, ירושלים. Plus Code Q585+GV Jerusalem, Israel. $283/ni. Booking.com link

Convent of the Sisters of Sion. Plus Code Q595+6Q Jerusalem, Israel. Ph: +972 2-641-5738. Does not say if they take guests. Same for the other convent Ratisbonne Notre Dame De Sion Convent. Link

Apart from the religious places in Jerusalem, the Jerusalem Tower Hotel is also convenient. . Booking.com link

Bob M
Thanks for the goldmine of information Bob, & for taking the time to write it..especially as you were expecting to receive information, not give it! 😊 I'm sure others will find it helpful as well.
Oh, the difference between someone at the advanced planning stage versus early stages of planning. I have a lot of research to do...which I really enjoy...just as well! 🤗

I don't have any issues with road walking...in fact often it can be preferable; VF & Way of 88 Temples cases in point.
I don't have the luxury of time this trip so any 'ifs, buts or maybes' need to be replaced with 'definites'...or as close as possible.
I look forward to reading anything you may post on the remainder of your epic walk.
Safe & happy trails.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back