• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a small very light tripod for iphone

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Any suggestions for a good lightweight tripod for my iphone? Not a full-sized tripod that's 4 or 5 feel long, but just something small and light that I can set on the ground or some other surface, and use to take selfies of myself from behind. What I mean by that is I want to have a series of photos of me walking along the various parts of the camino, but taken from behind. I'll be walking alone, so there may not always be someone around to take the photo for me, hence my desire for a small tripod.

Many tripods come with a blue-tooth remote for taking the photo, but I don't want the extra weight or need to charge anything, so I'm planning on just using the timer on my phone, and then scrambling to get into position before it snaps :).

I've seen a few online, and can simply pick one of those, but I thought I'd check first with this group in case anyone has found one that's particularly good (or particularly bad and I should avoid).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What about just a small stuffsack (with other stuff in it) that you can use to prop it against? Maybe practice at home with something else you plan to carry or a giant paper binder clamp that you could use as a clothespin or something? Or a big gear tie that you could also repurpose?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have no tripod recommendations for you but I do have a photo idea. Experiment at home to find a good distance away from the tripod to get you in. Get a length of string that distance and tie a hex nut at each end. When walking and you see a spot for your picture drop one end of the string and also mark the spot and run the string out. Set up the tripod pointing backwards and then keep walking forward until you run out of string. Mark the spot. Go back to the the tripod. Set the timer and get to the first mark and face the camera for the picture. Go to the camera and turn it around for the second picture of you walking forward with your back to the camera.

This will allow to to have slide show or video where the pictures of your back can smoothly dissolve from one to another because your relative position remains the same. If you do ever decide to show your face you can set up a series of "Here he comes and now there he goes" where the photo backgrounds are different.

Of course the work to set up the face to the camera photos will add some time but you're stopping anyhow. Obviously you can skip that part and you can still ask pilgrims for pics but I think the same size, same angle photos can work well for you.

I don't do selfies per se but I noticed on last month's annual Birthday Road Trip my daughter wanted a lot more photos showing the two of us together (I think she wants more memories as I get older!) so we used this setup:

1665790597470.png 1665790693200.png 1665790882402.png

The tripod is a cheap and cheerful gorilla knock off but has the advantage that the legs can be wrapped around a post or hiking pole. The clamp for the phone is rather more substantial - an aluminum Ulanzi but I'm sure you can get lighter plastic models. The connector on the top of the tripod can be left screwed onto the clamp which makes breaking it down easier.
The big trick to it all is not to walk away and forget that you've put it on a wall or fence post and then have to walk back for ages to retrieve it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use the Ulanzi MT-16, it’s a foldable tripod, when folded it acts like a selfie stick. It has both the universal mount (which I use for my GoPro with an adaptor), and a phone holder.

I have placed it on a rock at the side of the trail to get both the “I am coming” and “I am going” shot.

Buttttttt, to be fair, on the Camino, so far I have not used that trick! And I’m 2 days away from Santiago.

I brought my Osmo gimbal with me and it has a super light tripod that goes with it, but I didn't bring it with me this time. Maybe next year?
Perhaps make some sort of string holder that you could hang on trees, etc? There are lots of light tripods available to buy though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have no tripod recommendations for you but I do have a photo idea. Experiment at home to find a good distance away from the tripod to get you in. Get a length of string that distance and tie a hex nut at each end. When walking and you see a spot for your picture drop one end of the string and also mark the spot and run the string out. Set up the tripod pointing backwards and then keep walking forward until you run out of string. Mark the spot. Go back to the the tripod. Set the timer and get to the first mark and face the camera for the picture. Go to the camera and turn it around for the second picture of you walking forward with your back to the camera.

This will allow to to have slide show or video where the pictures of your back can smoothly dissolve from one to another because your relative position remains the same. If you do ever decide to show your face you can set up a series of "Here he comes and now there he goes" where the photo backgrounds are different.

Of course the work to set up the face to the camera photos will add some time but you're stopping anyhow. Obviously you can skip that part and you can still ask pilgrims for pics but I think the same size, same angle photos can work well for you.
Rick, with the best will in the world, I found this difficult to compute. Perhaps I should sit down with pen and paper and make time-line diagrams, with hex nuts. Seriously though, it seems to be a great idea!
My other thought was: "This has the makings of a great exam question", if I could only think of the right question.
Cheers :D
Paul

I believe this is the one Efren Gonzalez used on his last Vlog - Camino del Norte. I have this pack somewhere around but have never used it. It is very light.

I believe this is the one Efren Gonzalez used on his last Vlog - Camino del Norte. I have this pack somewhere around but have never used it. It is very light.

Probably a good idea not to use it - loved the bit about "Tripod not designed for outdoor use, or for use with the selfie stick as an extension pole." o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also vote for gorilla type tripod. You can fix it to branches, pasture railings, poles, etc, and you can adjust the feet for uneven ground or stones. Fold it and use for handheld shots or even videos. I would never trust a heavy and expensive camera on such but a phone is lightweight enough, shouldn't be any problems. That + a simple lightweight phone holder, something like this https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0169SORDW/ you are good to go! Sure you already got screen protector and shatter proof case.
Please post the photos when you have them!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Look at this one on Amazon. This is what I carried in July on the Camino. Multipurpose and Bluetooth connected.

Attachments

• 08F1E16E-F83D-4732-A164-245A362A7FB8.jpeg
    08F1E16E-F83D-4732-A164-245A362A7FB8.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 20
Any suggestions for a good lightweight tripod for my iphone? Not a full-sized tripod that's 4 or 5 feel long, but just something small and light that I can set on the ground or some other surface, and use to take selfies of myself from behind. What I mean by that is I want to have a series of photos of me walking along the various parts of the camino, but taken from behind. I'll be walking alone, so there may not always be someone around to take the photo for me, hence my desire for a small tripod.

Many tripods come with a blue-tooth remote for taking the photo, but I don't want the extra weight or need to charge anything, so I'm planning on just using the timer on my phone, and then scrambling to get into position before it snaps :).

I've seen a few online, and can simply pick one of those, but I thought I'd check first with this group in case anyone has found one that's particularly good (or particularly bad and I should avoid).
image.jpgThis is called pocket tripod and is what I am using now on the Camino. https://pocket-tripod.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I've used a Joby grip tight micro - it's tiny and very light, but does a good job.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all the feedback. Glad I didn't go out and order the first/cheapest one I saw. What I've noticed is many of the small/light/cheap tripods will only hold the phone in the "landscape" mode, and are unable to hold the phone in the "portrait" mode. In other words, the phone can only be held sideways. For the specific photos I'm trying to capture I need the phone held vertically.

I may end up doing what one or two posted suggested, and simply propping my phone up against something already in my backpack. But I'll keep checking to see if I can find a light tripod that will hold the phone vertically and horizontally. Frustratingly, many of the listings on Amazon don't mention this. I only found out by reading the reviews and someone happened to mention it. I know most photos are taken in landscape (horizontal) mode, but enough are taken vertically that you'd think the manufacturers wouldn't bother selling a tripod that can't take vertical photos, but you'd be wrong...

For my older phone I had a protective case that would clip onto a back panel with a belt clip. The clip could rotate. This would allow the phone to hang vertically or horizontally. Maybe there is a strap on your pack that would do duty as if it were the belt.

This is similar to what I used.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have an Ikea nearby this keychain phone holder works in both landscape and portrait modes.

Screenshot_20221027-093216.png

If you have an Ikea nearby this keychain phone holder works in both landscape and portrait modes.

View attachment 135657

That looks much more sturdy - thank you! And only 50p (89¢) in the UK - an all time first!

And the RENSARE could be useful as a dry bag/clothes washing bag.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 135657

When I first posted this question I cringed a little bit, because it felt lazy. But I'm so glad I did. This will work perfectly for what I need, and it's only $0.99 in Canada. And it's light! Many thanks for sharing this tip, I doubt I would have stumbled across this in my search.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.