• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a thread- making markers

jbear

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to SdC march-may 2015
Hi all- I'm trying to find a thread from a while back. Someone had posted how they made a replica of a mile post/distance marker. I've search using several different key words with no luck. If anyone has it bookmarked would you please post a link. Thank you in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would be interested in that too. In fact, I know I mentioned it in a posting perhaps in May or June this past year. Perhaps you were referring to that post?

This past April, I made detailed measurements of the "new" style mojone employed across Galicia. I also obtained a scale drawing of the actual design. But the scaled drawing did not have measurements. So, I obtained them myself. Taken together, there is enough information for someone with the necessary skills to reproduce a mojone to actual specifications, albeit in some material other than granite. I understand the used ones might be available in Spain. But shipping would be prohibitive.

So, I brought a metric tape measure with me on my failed Madrid camino in April 2016, and measured several new mojones to get the exact measurements. My original thought was to develop a two part (top and bottom) hollow, mojone using a stone resin type material. The purpose of the two hollow segments was to allow the segments to be nested for shipping.

The left - right arrow would be reversible using screws from the inside, as would the ceramic "concha." There exists a difference of opinion of which direction the concha should point. I am of the school that says the point of the shell where all the lines converge should point toward Santiago.

The distance plate would be provided un-engraved with directions on how to correctly replicate the typeface with an engraver, and how to determine the distance from your situation to the official distance measuring point. That measuring point, or Km Zero, is the bronze disc in the center of Plaza do Obradoiro, in front of the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The actual granite mojone is exactly one meter tall from the top of the flat base. Being able to nest the two segments (top and bottom), means a ton of savings in shipping. Again, my original thought was to have one point of manufacturing and sales distribution in Europe and another in North America.

My goal was to have a near exact replica of an actual granite mojone in my garden, with a mileage marker custom engraved to read 6,603 Km to Santiago from my GPS coordinates, to those in the center of the Plaza do Obradoiro. As my garden view is exactly to the south, the arrow, and "point" of the concha, would both point left, towards the east, Europe, Spain, and Santiago de Compostela.

If anyone is interested in an informal joint venture, let me know. I have the ideas, the photos and the measurements, but not the technical knowledge or skills to convert my measurements to a prototype, let alone production. Based on my original "marketing" idea, my thought was to have a North American and European production point, based on identical specifications.

That said, if someone has come up with a way to manufacture a one-off, "granite appearing" mojone at home for personal use, I would be interested in that too. The ceramic concha, arrow, and distance plate are the easy bit. The difficult part is actually building a 1:1 replica that can be shipped. THAT is the rub here...

You must admit, it would make the most unique garden ornament and a daily inspiration to do another Camino, not to mention a really innovative and unique conversation starter for guests.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your post. I am having a headstone maker construct a granite mojone for me. It will be heavy but he is local. I have he blue tile with yellow concha, and I will have a km marker made. The arrow will be carved in. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your measurements.

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, I brought a metric tape measure with me on my failed Madrid camino in April 2016, and measured several new mojones to get the exact measurements. My original thought was to develop a two part (top and bottom) hollow, mojone using a stone resin type material. The purpose of the two hollow segments was to allow the segments to be nested for shipping.

Do you still have those measurements, @t2andreo ? And did you end up making one for your garden?

Do you still have those measurements, @t2andreo ? And did you end up making one for your garden?

I have them at home. Never could find someone to make a model or hat was hollow and using resin instead of granite.

I can provide the exact specifications after I return home from Spain on 21 August.

If you start a private conversation with me, you can pass me your e-mail. I would be happy to provide the file. I also plan to post the file containing the diagram and precise metric measurements in the resource section of the forum, again after I return home.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

I have them at home. Never could find someone to make a model or hat was hollow and using resin instead of granite.

I can provide the exact specifications after I return home from Spain on 21 August.

If you start a private conversation with me, you can pass me your e-mail. I would be happy to provide the file. I also plan to post the file containing the diagram and precise metric measurements in the resource section of the forum, again after I return home.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I will send you my email in a private conversation. Much appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a mosaic artist, I can tell you how I would create a replica that would look fairly realistic and be weather-proof. This is the technique often used to create mosaic sculptures.

Get some panels of stiff foam (like this, used for insulation):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project...Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

This foam can be easily cut or carved using a fine-bladed saw. If using thin panels like this, it would be good to fill the interior with a spray/hardening foam or some other kind of structure. Could also just epoxy a few thick pieces of stiff foam together to make the whole piece solid.

Cover the foam with wide strips of alkalai-resistant, fiberglass mesh. Overlap the strips a bit over each other. This mesh can be found in home improvement stores where stucco repair supplies are sold. The brands in the US I have used are Fibatape and Krak-Master. You can use the self-adhesive mesh or use nails or a glue gun (set on Low) to adhere the mesh to the foam.

When it is completely covered, use a pallet knife to spread thinset mortar over the mesh in a thin layer. Let it dry, and then add two more layers of mesh and thinset. It will look like a solid cement structure then.

Thinset mortar comes in white or grey. You can add tint to the thinset if you want, but I think the white mortar, as it ages, will look pretty realistic.

I posted illustrated, step by step instructions, using these materials, to make an outdoor plaque here:

https://blog.mosaicartsupply.com/making-foam-core-mosaic-backers-for-outdoor-projects/

Last edited:
I am awaiting a delivery of my newly made marker stone from this company...
https://caminostone.com

I saw a flyer whilst recently walking the CP, and ordered one !

I am awaiting a delivery of my newly made marker stone from this company...
https://caminostone.com

I saw a flyer whilst recently walking the CP, and ordered one !
Thank you for the information. This was helpful since it also contained the dimensions. I will be having mine done out of granite and I know it’s going to be heavy! But the guy is local and will deliver! Enjoy your marker!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You should know that the official mojones are exactly one meter high from the flat base stone to the top of the stone. I believe the version made by the firm mentioned in this thread is shorter than that. Check to make sure.

If you like a scaled down version, great. However, if you want to make one or have it made exact to specifications, please wait until I can return home and make my information available.

As I mentioned previously, I have the precise measurements, made by me using a metric tape measure, and an actual new style Xunta de Galicia mojone in 2016. I also have the actual color design specifications put out by the Xunta.

I return to my home me from volunteer service at Santiago on 21 August. High on my to do list is to post these specifications as a resource on the forum. I need to combine the actual measurements taken in the field with the Xunta-issued design specification drawing.

Anyone who wants a direct e-mail copy, probably a .pdf file, can send me their e-mail via a private conversation. Please DO NOT post your personal e-mail here.

Hope this helps.

If you are on Facebook, someone has posted a picture recently on the American Pilgrims on the Camino page of their homemade marker. Perhaps they could offer advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Can you please email the measurements to me also? [ivar: I removed the e-mail, please use Private message]

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your email. Please refrain from placing your true email in the public forum in future. It exposes you to the entire internet. Just sayin...

I replied to your PM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all- I'm trying to find a thread from a while back. Someone had posted how they made a replica of a mile post/distance marker. I've search using several different key words with no luck. If anyone has it bookmarked would you please post a link. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 6B538CBF-9454-4439-8782-A4E8946BBEBF.jpeg
    6B538CBF-9454-4439-8782-A4E8946BBEBF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
This is the marker I had made.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back