• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a walk partner

roxannewellens

Time of past OR future Camino
I start in Sint Jean the 4th of August 2016, and am looking for someone to walk with/behind for safety, since I am a woman alone.
Hi,

I'm Roxanne, an 18 year old woman from Belgium and I leave the 4th of Augstus to walk the Camino Frances from Sint Jean Pied de Port.

Recently, many people warned me for problems on the road, specifically with men.
That's why I'd feel more safe when I knew someone to walk with or behind.

Let me know!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I'm Roxanne, an 18 years old woman from Belgium and I leave the 4th of Augstus to walk the Camino Frances from Sint Jean Pied de Port.

Recently, many people warned me for problems on the road, specifically with men.

Let me know!

Hi Roxanne, fellow Belgium! Hallo and bonjour!

Don't try to worry too much starting alone. The 4th of August is still high season when it comes to the Camino. I don't have any doubt that from Saint Jean on you will meet lovely people and you could ask them if they would feel ok that you join them.
When it comes to safety : be vigilant like you would be in Belgium. Yes there have been incidents towards women on the Camino but normal vigilance and common sense will help you. Like I said for the longer and more remote stretches : try to make some arrangements with the pilgrims you will be walking that particular day.
If the Camino learned me one thing : pilgrims do look out for each other.

Warning from me who could be your mum : try to make some arrangements with the homefront in regard to calling home, texting or whatsapp so people at home can have some peace of mind. It is easy in the Camino flow to forget about time etc...but trust me the homefront will be less anxious if you talk it through with them.

Good luck!!!

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Your answer and tips make me feel more at peace.
When it comes to my family, we should make an arrangement indeed. They're so worried, that they even think I'll never return home. So they scare me as well!

Thanks again
love Roxanne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Your answer and tips make me feel more at peace.
When it comes to my family, we should make an arrangement indeed. They're so worried, that they even think I'll never return home. So they scare me as well!

Thanks again
love Roxanne

Cheers Roxanne! Please free to do a PM to me if needed. And you can also add your name on the Calendar here on the forum https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/calendar/

And important in life and on the Camino : Trust your instincts. If you feel in any way unsafe or uncertain in a situation or with a person : walk away from it!

Have fun en amuseer je.

S.

Hey Roxanne,

I'll jump in with what everyone else is saying. Be as mindful as you would be back home, but don't lose any sleep over it. I'll be walking on August 3rd, but I'm taking the Camino del Norte. I walked the Camino Frances about 3 years ago by myself, and I can't tell you how many young women I met along the way that were walking "alone". I will tell you from my own experience at least, I didn't make it much past Roncevalles before I had a walking partner (a 25 y/o woman from Romania), and by the time I hit Pamplona I had my own Perigrino family. Keep in mind this was in April, when things are much slower. So I'd be shocked if you made it more than a day or two without someone to walk with.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just like at home, the vast majority of people are good, honest, and decent. The Camino is mostly filled with those people. While you may feel very alone at the beginning, you are not. Your fellow pilgrims are also alone, and there is a strong tradition of pilgrims looking out for each other. If you are really nervous, find a group (it won't be hard) and tag along with them. When we did the Camino, one particularly nervous German girl we met "adopted" an older man from the UK, and traveled with him. I expect he welcomed the company, and she welcomed the security. Neither is in short supply on the Camino.

I got to the airport in Bayonne, saw another girl with a backpack, and jokingly said 'are you going all the way?'. She said 'yes, are you?' I was too and we walked together up to Burgos. It's that easy. Lovely Natascha is back in Honduras and we catch up occasionally on Facebook.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you spend the night in an albergue, you will know other pilgrims with whom you can walk next day.
In my experience, young people form easily merry groups. They walk together and care for each other.
The stage from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles will be quite crowded in early August. There will be people before and behind you, at short distance, all the time.
Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

I'm Roxanne, an 18 years old woman from Belgium and I leave the 4th of Augstus to walk the Camino Frances from Sint Jean Pied de Port.

Let me know!
A good tip if you intend to walk alone is to leave early in the morning. That way you almost always have someone behind you. I have made my three Camino trips alone and the only time I have felt a little insecure is when I slept in late (9am) and walked almost the entire day alone. I'll be a couple of days behind you on my next trip.

I will also start from SJPP on 6th of August. Since I will arrive very late I suppose I will spend the night resting in Valcarlos.
As the other guys told, you will find very nice people on the way.
Buen Camino!

Thank you all for your kind and helpful messages.
I hope to meet the ones of you who are walking the camino as well.
Lots of love

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back