• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a walking buddy

Eva250378

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! Is there someone walking one or other pilgrim in January or February? I would love to accompany as I dont have much experience. Let me know!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! Is there someone walking one or other pilgrim in January or February? I would love to accompany as I dont have much experience. Let me know!
Hi. Did you came here from my link on Facebook?
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that the first response was a little short.
We are all learning of some new lockdowns and restrictions in Spain right now, meaning that it is unlikely that there will be many people on the Camino this winter.
Please read the posts here on gear, routes, etc.
We are happy to answer your questions.

Hello Eva, and welcome to the forum!
If you have taken some time to browse here you will find several threads about the current situation in Spain and other countries, as well. There are several lockdowns taking place and unfortunately it is unwise to consider traveling until the covid virus gets under control.

I had zero experience before I did my first Camino.
I found this forum and read everything I could to get ready.
I started my first Camino alone, but quickly met a lot of other people walking.
While the world and the Camino is waiting to see what will happen with the pandemic it's a good time to just gather information.
In addition to this forum there are lots of books, movies YouTube videos, etc. about the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You don't need a walking buddy. Honestly!

What if half way through day 1 you find you don't like them :eek:

Better to find them naturally along the way..........

Doubt you'll be walking in Jan/Feb 2021 though.

Walking with a 'buddy' (or anyone, even a spouse for that matter) can actually be a trying experience. We all have our unique habits and walking speeds and in order for you to walk with someone, one or both of you need to compromise for the other. I know that sounds pretty self-centred but I suppose that's because it is! Walking a Camino for me is a glorious treat. Time alone from phones, computers, TV's, work, to think, make decisions and just maybe contemplate ideas that need lots and lots of quiet time to percolate to the surface of my conscience... I've walked twice alone and once with my beloved and after sharing these learnings with her, I got the green light to do number 4 alone. As mentioned above, you needn't worry about walking alone. It would take a modern-day Christopher Columbus to get lost on the Camino Frances and in months of the year that most people walk, you'll have no trouble meeting people and spending some time walking with them! Have fun planning and join us in hoping Spain will heal herself soon so we can come visit again and tell her how much we all missed her. ~ Jordon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne,
He travels the fastest who travels alone."
(Rudyard Kipling, The Story of the Gadsbys)

Good luck in your research, but don't plan on walking early (or, possibly, any time) next year. Remember, Santiago de Compostela isn't going anywhere!

Arrange to start with someone if you like but don't be surprised if you part ways quickly and celebrate when you meet later only to separate again. Over and over with others as you progress. Bring a journal and note contact info so you can reminisce months later. Your friends and family back home will become tired of you stories.

Hi Eva,
Did from Lisbon to Santiago and then on to Finisterre in 2019. Was 65 at the time, never done any walking/hiking before and did it on my own. Am an Australian and had never been to Portugal before and only as far as Barcelona in Spain. Met a number of very pleasant and interesting people a couple of whom I walked with for a few days. Never felt the need for a permanent walking buddy and more often that not was quite happy with my thoughts and being on my own so I could set my own timetable without being concerned with what others wished to do.

If I do another Camino, and I am planning one, I will again go on my own. In your shoes clearly do what you need to do to be comfortable but there is plenty of companionship out there and many many people who will willingly provide assistance. My only advice is carry a stick to discourage dogs. Most I met just barked etc for show and were easily discouraged however, there was one in particular I had to remonstrate with quite firmly.

Best wishes with your Camino.

Regards
Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Eva,
You are most welcomed to be part of this group and to share your needs and concerns. Covid 19 is spreading again in all of Europe. As a result Spain is inaccessible for most of us. This may change but I do not think change is something that will soon occur. However I am using this time to improve my physical condition, learn what equipment that I really need, and get my feet in the best possible condition so that blisters do not impede my walk. You might want to do the same. There are so many helpful folks on this site, you will find that they are extraordinarily helpful. So do ask questions. Good luck on your preparations as well as your walk and God bless you.
Respectfully
Tom Quinn

You don't need a walking buddy. Honestly!

What if half way through day 1 you find you don't like them :eek:

Better to find them naturally along the way..........

Doubt you'll be walking in Jan/Feb 2021 though.

Hi @Eva250378 .

Just another thought............my wife Pat reminded me.

On one Camino I met a couple of 'best friends' who had decided to walk together.

after 3 weeks I again met 'one' of the best friends for lunch.

They had parted company as they each wanted a very different Camino experience.
I met the 'other' best friend a week later........

Not sure if they are still friends :oops:

And,

my wife knows this!

Whilst I love her dearly. Walking a Camino with her is not a lot of fun, at all. :rolleyes:

Again, we both like different Camino experiences.
I take my time, and walk longer days.
Pat walks way too slow for me and stops every 20 minutes to duck behind a bush!
I have to find the bush, hold the pack.......

I have to ensure that I find a nice place to stay and eat.
On my own, I don't care.

I recall a wonderful story on here, maybe someone has the link, of a 'couple' in the streets of a small village I think. On opposite sides of the street, yelling at each other, and hurling their packs at each other! :eek:

Pat and I often laughed about that story and hoped we wouldn't become another story! ;)

I much prefer walking alone, or at least setting out alone.
If I want to walk with others sometimes, it's because I met someone along the way and we 'clicked', walk at the same pace, share stories etc. It might be for an hour, 3 hours, a day, 4 or 5 days, and then we part..... as one wants to stop, or jump ahead of whatever.

That's the beauty of the Camino.

Go without plans, or expectations. And see what happens and who you meet.

P.S.

I suppose as another thought..........excuse the ramble.

Walking a Camino, particularly a longer one of 2-3 weeks or more, can put us under a lot of strain. physical, emotional and spiritual. Other Pilgrims around you, total strangers. are often the ones to support you through those times, or maybe you are someone (a bit like me) who likes to 'work through it' on your own. There's a certain satisfaction in coping with and over coming challenges I think.

Walking with someone, I mean a planned companion, from start to finish, doubles that burden.

Just something to think about.

There is a wonderful sense of 'freedom' walking on your own. Taking a longer day, a shorter day, napping under a tree, having a long lunch with a fascinating person you just met from the otherside of the World.....

Food for thought.

Whatever you end up doing. Buen Camino :)

Terms & Conditions
Everyone wants different things from a Camino
The opinions of others are interesting, but just that, opinions. We all have them.
Your mileage may vary

Last edited:
The members are right , you will find buddies perhaps even on the first day?
Or rather , they will find you.
Take into account that no one walks at the same pace as you , likes the exact same food , vino, albergues ............ if its Buddies that you want , there will be plenty , I can guarantee you!
So when you are able to walk just relax and enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back