• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

looking for advice for sleeping places frons SJDP to Roncevalles

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
i am a bit anxious that it Will be to difficult for me this part of the Camino. But I want to do it. Can I do it in little distances? And where are there sleeping places? Thank you Camino friends!!! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Gronze.com webs cited above by KinkyOne are great!

Do, however, be aware that on the Napoleon route there is no place to stay beyond Orisson until Roncesvalles. Similarly on the Valcarlos route there is no place to stay beyond Valcarlos until Roncesvalles.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The vast majority of walkers go all the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles. If you are reasonably fit and healthy, it is not a problem. There are tons of comments in this forum about this stage; use the search function.
Obviously, it is easier if you stay a night at Huntto or Orisson. But it is not indispensable.
There is also the lower way -it is great, too, and it is possible to sleep in Valcarlos.

You could also do the following, if you need very shoet uphill stages:

Day1: SJPP to Orisson
Day2: Orisson to end of the road, back to Orisson in a taxi you will have arranged for.
Day3: taxi up to the end of the road and walk down to Roncesvalles.

Same logic applies to Valcarlos.

You could also do the following, if you need very shoet uphill stages:

Day1: SJPP to Orisson
Day2: Orisson to end of the road, back to Orisson in a taxi you will have arranged for.
Day3: taxi up to the end of the road and walk down to Roncesvalles.

Same logic applies to Valcarlos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's how I do it.

Day 1: SJPP to Orisson then take the shuttle back down to SJPP
Day 2: Shuttle UP to Orisson then walk on to Roncesvalles.

This means making reservations for 2 nights in SJPP but it's easy as pie and makes for 2 nice days instead of one "hell day" as some call it.

Here's how I do it.

Day 1: SJPP to Orisson then take the shuttle back down to SJPP
Day 2: Shuttle UP to Orisson then walk on to Roncesvalles.

This means making reservations for 2 nights in SJPP but it's easy as pie and makes for 2 nice days instead of one "hell day" as some call it.
Why Orisson then if you're calling a taxi?
Just walk as far as you can go, call the taxi, tell the mileage stone marker (or any other spot near the tarmac road) and that's it...

i am a bit anxious that it Will be to difficult for me this part of the Camino. But I want to do it. Can I do it in little distances? And where are there sleeping places? Thank you Camino friends!!! :)
If you are worried about this, as a start for your Camino, why don't you start in Roncesvalles instead?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why Orisson then if you're calling a taxi?
Just walk as far as you can go, call the taxi, tell the mileage stone marker (or any other spot near the tarmac road) and that's it...

I don't call a taxi.
There is a regular shuttle that picks people up at Orisson every afternoon.
But yeah, you can call a taxi if you want... whatever floats your boat :p

It's just so nice to sit up at Orisson and have a bowl of hot soup and watch the pilgrims come in.

I don't call a taxi.

It's just so nice to sit up at Orisson and have a bowl of hot soup and watch the pilgrims come in.
I know Annie. I wasn't really answering you directly but to anyone interested. Because I remember there's a tarmac road all the way (mostly on the lefthand side of the Camino) and there was very lively traffic going on in 2011 on it. So No need to stop exactly at Auberge Orisson if somebody feels like walking further on. You can call taxi from SJPdP at higher point on the route, just need to know approx.kilometer or be able to explain where exactly you'll be waiting.

Oztraveller try this , it may give you the perspective you need . Pick a place in the next suburb to yours , somewhere six kilometres away that has a nice coffee shop . Put on your walking shoes and a small day pack with two litres of water in it and start walking . Stop for lunch or a coffee when you get there , then walk home .
How do you feel ? If raring to go and feeling like it wasn't enough or even if you feel tired but think you could do it again tomorrow then it's probably all systems go . Finding out that you can't or don't like walking in this way at home is much cheaper and easier to deal with, remember you are a long way from your hot bath and familiar bed when overseas .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you stop at Orisson there is a good chance that you will meet many people who you meet many times over the course of your walk, it's a good place. They have a very nice terrace with great mountain views if the weather is good. The first 8km from St Jean are the steepest, which takes you to Orisson.
I've walked it twice this year. The first time in snow as the first leg of the Camino Frances, 2 hours to Orisson, stayed the night, 5 hours to Roncesvalles.
The second in fog and rain just last week. I walked it for fun as I finished my walking in St Jean, and had a day to spare before travelling home. St Jean to Roncesvalles in around 6 hours. Including a coffee at Orisson and a snack in a refuge hut.
I was feeling fit after walking the Le Puy route, up for the challenge and raring to go.
The route is not as difficult as many people (including myself) worry about before doing it for the first time. That said I would stay at Orisson again. No need to leave St Jean early. Meet lots of new friends. An easier next day as you've already done 8km.

If you stop at Orisson there is a good chance that you will meet many people who you meet many times over the course of your walk, it's a good place. They have a very nice terrace with great mountain views if the weather is good. The first 8km from St Jean are the steepest, which takes you to Orisson.
I've walked it twice this year. The first time in snow as the first leg of the Camino Frances, 2 hours to Orisson, stayed the night, 5 hours to Roncesvalles.
The second in fog and rain just last week. I walked it for fun as I finished my walking in St Jean, and had a day to spare before travelling home. St Jean to Roncesvalles in around 6 hours. Including a coffee at Orisson and a snack in a refuge hut.
I was feeling fit after walking the Le Puy route, up for the challenge and raring to go.
The route is not as difficult as many people (including myself) worry about before doing it for the first time. That said I would stay at Orisson again. No need to leave St Jean early. Meet lots of new friends. An easier next day as you've already done 8km.
If you want to stay at Orisson you will need an advance reservation. Sometimes people are able to get a bed on arrival, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The route is not as difficult as many people (including myself) worry about before doing it for the first time.
Since the OP is anxious and wants to do "little distances" I'm assuming there is some concern about his/her age or level of fitness. I thought I was well trained and listened to those who said, don't worry. But I found it much harder than I expected, even with a stay at Orisson. My husband wound up carrying my not-overloaded pack the first 2 days, and by the time we got to Roncesvailles I was ready to quit. Train, train, train on lots of steep hills or stairs.

@mcopeland makes an excellent point. We want to encourage so we are like mini-cheerleaders---'don't worry, you can do it, you'll see'....no matter what the person announces they are thinking about. I don't think training is necessarily necessary, but I do think an honest assessment of one's abilities, and what the planed route requires, is. Then there is the decision: if the two do not match, you must either change the planned route, or your abilities. If in doubt, err on the side of caution. Why injure yourself right out of the starting blocks. In the case of the OP's question, maybe it is do-able with his/her abilities if they stop at an albergue on either route...they should look carefully at how far they will need to walk to get to the albergue on either route, and then from the albergue to RV. They should look at how much elevation change there is. They should consider why they are choosing SJPdP as the starting point
edit: the advantage of starting at RV or westward is there will be more opportunities to stop for food and shelter if you get tired, imo two excellent reasons to stop

Spanish saying: «Para llegar a Santiago de Compostela como un joven, empieza el Camino como un viejo» – If you wish to arrive in Santiago de Compostela like a young person, begin the Camino like an old man.

In other words .... take things slow to begin with.

Suzanne :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spanish saying: «Para llegar a Santiago de Compostela como un joven, empieza el Camino como un viejo» – If you wish to arrive in Santiago de Compostela like a young person, begin the Camino like an old man.

In other words .... take things slow to begin with.

Hi Suzanne,
What do mean? Better start in Roncevalle?

Since the OP is anxious and wants to do "little distances" I'm assuming there is some concern about his/her age or level of fitness. I thought I was well trained and listened to those who said, don't worry. But I found it much harder than I expected, even with a stay at Orisson. My husband wound up carrying my not-overloaded pack the first 2 days, and by the time we got to Roncesvailles I was ready to quit. Train, train, train on lots of steep hills or stairs.
I am fit but in Holland there are no hills to train ; ))))

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think the saying means don't overdo it in the beginning...only you know what is best for you, but I think from posts elsewhere on the forum, most Spaniards start in Roncesvalles. And you get to look around the town when not exhausted. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't call a taxi.

Why take a shuttle back to SJDP? When you are already on the way to RV?

if you look here, it will give you an idea of how far to walk and the difference in elevation each step.
Buen Camino!
http://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

you can see that you will walk less the first day, more the second, and have a steep climb both days on the Napoleon. On the valcarlos you will walk more even amounts both days, less climb the first (so may be an easier start) but still quite a climb on the second. The valcarlos was the original pilgrim route and is just as pretty...and when the weather is really bad is the only option.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think she is saying rather than make a reservation at Orisson, she books two nights at SJPdP, walks to Orisson, shuttle back to her place in SJPdP, then the next day shuttle to Orisson and walk on...maybe because there are only so many beds at Orisson

It isn't a trail in the wilderness! If you find you can't hack it, then call a taxi. If you can't , then ask a local, there are plenty - in cars - going backwards and forward to see to their animals.
The road goes right next to the camino and mostly IS the camino....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It isn't a trail in the wilderness! If you find you can't hack it, then call a taxi. If you can't , then ask a local, there are plenty - in cars - going backwards and forward to see to their animals.
The road goes right next to the camino and mostly IS the camino....
do you mean valcarlos...I didn't notice taxis on the Napoleon but I wasn't looking for a taxi stand....o_O

No I meant the 'Napoleon road'. Every time I have walked it, there were loads of cars going up and down. The last time, it was in deep fog and I did wonder 'are they looking for stranded pilgrims?' No, they're just going about their business as usual.
By 'they', I mean the locals, who check on their animals and chat to each other.
I am sure plenty will disagree but that is my experience

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No I meant the 'Napoleon road'. Every time I have walked it, there were loads of cars going up and down. The last time, it was in deep fog and I did wonder 'are they looking for stranded pilgrims?' No, they're just going about their business as usual.
By 'they', I mean the locals, who check on their animals and chat to each other.
I am sure plenty will disagree but that is my experience
Exactly what I have mentioned when suggesting taking a cab even after Orrison. Or just hitchhike, the locals sure do know all about you/us ;)

Hi Suzanne,
What do mean? Better start in Roncevalle?
Not necessarily @Yellowfriend, it means go slowly to begin with. Stay at Orisson, or go via Valcarlos. Or take the shuttle to Orisson, leave your rucksack, & return to SJPDP then walk to Orisson the next day but without the weight of your rucksack, or start at Roncevalles, or...... there are various ways to approach the situation. So go with what feels right for you.
Buen Camino

Yeah, I have never understood why anyone would do that either.
Walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day via either route, or stop at Orisson or ValCarlos depending on which one you chose. Look on YouTube. Lots of videos showing that section.
Easy peasy.....
cheers and ultreia

I think the saying means don't overdo it in the beginning...only you know what is best for you, but I think from posts elsewhere on the forum, most Spaniards start in Roncesvalles. And you get to look around the town when not exhausted. :)
2 very good reasons to walk to Roncesvalles are 1, you get to walk over one of the most famous mountain ranges in Europe following in the footsteps of thousands of years of history.
2, Everyone I've met who did it loved it.

Not everyone who arrives in Roncesvalles is exhausted, far from it. Calling it a town is to rather over inflate it. It does not need long to see all that is on offer.

There's always an exception. Of course not everyone is going to find it easy. I'm guessing your husband managed ok with his pack and yours.

Really, I'm puzzled here with some advices. I don't want to be judgemental but with some posts I just have to be. It's just me. I appologise because I have to draw a line somewhere. For my piece of mind. There is a bpilgrimage. And there is a hike. It's a different thing and most of us agree on that but some suggested things here are just..... something that is .... I don't know, I'm just sad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's always an exception. Of course not everyone is going to find it easy. I'm guessing your husband managed ok with his pack and yours.
Finally! a chance to use that button I've been waiting to use.

Exactly what I have mentioned when suggesting taking a cab even after Orrison. Or just hitchhike, the locals sure do know all about you/us ;)
I am not intended to take a cab but when I would need it it is possible after Orisson, you can call them while walking? And how to explain the point you are at that moment? I had it in Portugal but I didn't know the exact location where I was to explain to the cab when I called :rolleyes:

Hi @Yellowfriend

You do not have to start your CF from SJPDP .... lots of pilgrims start from various points (RV, Pamplona etc). It can be difficult walking from SJPDP, but the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. You could start from another point and see how you go, and then you can start from SJPDP in your next CF camino. You need to start from where you feel comfortable - remember safety is paramount in any journey, and it is best to be so.

Like others have mentioned, if you really want to start from SJPDP and concerned about the distance, then you need to book at Orisson as it is usually fully booked (although when I was there in July, it wasnthttp://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ - ) plus, whilst there, you get to meet other pilgrims you will meet throughout your Camino.... and you get to know them well. Or, like the others say, you could book the cab to take you back to SJPDP for the night from Orisson (then you just take a day pack with you for that day). Look up http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

BTW, I stayed at the Gite Ultreia in SJPDP whose sister works at Orisson, and whose cousin is Caroline of Bourricot, so looks like (to me) everyone is related to each other in this gorgeous village!

The CF is quite a hilly walk but, it is well endowed with numerous albergues/hostels etc.... so you can do the distances you feel able to.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

€149,-
I am not intended to take a cab but when I would need it it is possible after Orisson, you can call them while walking? And how to explain the point you are at that moment? I had it in Portugal but I didn't know the exact location where I was to explain to the cab when I called :rolleyes:
Firstly you would need a telephone number. I'm sure you can get it in Pilgrims Office in SJPdP or with the hospitalera/o where you stay. To explain exact location you can use the stone kilometer markers or mention the name of that particular section if it has a name, of course or "one hour from Auberge Orisson" for example.

He did fine. I was the wimp.;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back