• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for advice for where to begin

Calbon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk the Camino in Spring (2014)
My husband and I are hoping to head out at the very beginning of June this year, but only have until about the 24th of June. We're both in decent shape and relatively spry, and we'd like to walk as much of the route as possible, but neither of us know where we should begin our journey. Where can you start if you only have about 24 days?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sahagun is 370 km from Santiago.

This suggestion is based on 20km per day walking (which would suggest starting at Carrion de los Condes 414 km) and critical factor of transportation access. If you are walking longer distances use the extra days to go from Santiago to Finisterre.

Renfe trains stop in Sahagun 8 hrs from Barcelona twice daily. Transportation to Carrion de los Condes by ALSA bus 13 hrs from Barcelona and schedule is limited. It might work better to take Renfe train to Osorno and then bus from Osorno to Carrion de los Condes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calbon,

Welcome to the Forum!

I would suggest starting in the Pyrenees at either Saint Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles. You then could walk as far as comfortable in the time available to you. For varied comments on getting from Barcelona to Roncesvalles or Saint Jean Pied de Port see this earlier Forum thread.

After walking for a bit you will gain a good idea of your strength and tenacity. Then if you wish to obtain the Compostela for which you must walk the last 100 k into Santiago you might either bus ahead as so many pilgrims do to gain time or simply stop at the end of your scheduled time with the idea of returning in the future to walk the final sections. Only you can choose what is right for you!

Happy planning and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So many options that the Camino is your oyster. A radical choice would be fly into Asturias (Vueling, approx 50 euros) and walk from there to SdC. With the remaining time you could explore the routes in Galicia (the Ingles, Finisterre etc) knowing that you were in easy reach of Santiago when your time was up. Enjoy your planning!

A possibility if you shorten a couple of days (the long stage to Sarria is through Samos; the direct route is much shorter):

From Burgos to Santiago de Compostela through the Camino de Santiago

The table shows stages, partial and cumulative distances, and lodgings.
Summary
Longest stage: Fonfría - Sarria: 33.7 km.
Shortest stage: Mansilla de las Mulas - León: 18.2 km.
Total distance: 490.5 km.
Stages: 21.
Average: 23.4 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Burgos - Hornillos del Camino 20.3 20.3 R
2) Hornillos del Camino - Castrojeriz 20 40.3 2R, 2P, C, H
3) Castrojeriz - Boadilla del Camino 19.1 59.4 R, 2P
4) Boadilla del Camino - Carrión de los Condes 24.6 84 3R, C, H
5) Carrión de los Condes - Terradillos de los Templarios 26 110 2P
6) Terradillos de los Templarios - Bercianos del Real Camino 23.2 133.2 R, P, H
7) Bercianos del Real Camino - Mansilla de las Mulas 26.4 159.6 R, P, C, H
8) Mansilla de las Mulas - León 18.2 177.8 2R, A, C, H
9) León - Villadangos del Páramo 20.1 197.9 R, C, H
10) Villadangos del Páramo - Astorga 28.2 226.1 2R, P, H
11) Astorga - Foncebadón 25.8 251.9 R, 3P, H
12) Foncebadón - Molinaseca 19.4 271.3 R, P, H
13) Molinaseca - Pieros 25.1 296.4 P
14) Pieros - Ruitelán 24.1 320.5 P
15) Ruitelán - Fonfría 21.5 342 P, H
16) Fonfría - Sarria 33.7 375.7 2R, 8P, H
17) Sarria - Portomarín 22.5 398.2 R, 6P, H
18) Portomarín - Palas de Rei 24.8 423 2R, 2P, C, H
19) Palas de Rei - Boente 20.5 443.5 P
20) Boente - Rúa 26.2 469.7 H
21) Rúa - Santiago de Compostela 20.8 490.5 2R, 8P, C, H
Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...
FR: off-route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In planning, be sure to account for transfer days from Barcelona to your starting point, and from SdC to your departure point (Barcelona, or wherever).

Also, you might want to plan for a day spent in Santiago, as well as at least one or two rest days (which could simply be shorter distance days strategically placed for areas you might want to explore, such as Burgos or Leon or wherever).

Another possibility, if you want to get a flavor for the entire Camino Frances with your limited time, is to plan a "piecemeal" journey, such as @mspath alludes to, where you might walk a few days in each region, starting in Navarra, and then bus/train forward to the next region and walk a few more days, and so on until you finish out the remainder in Galicia on foot. If you take the early bus/train, you still have plenty of walking time on the days you jump ahead, or those might be your rest/explore days.

If you do decide to go with a hopscotch approach, your best bet is to spend some time reading your guidebook end-to-end and making a list of the areas you think you want to see. Then, start building an itinerary from scratch, assuming from 15 to 25 km per day (or whatever you believe is sustainable for your level of fitness). A reasonable pace is roughly 4 km/hr in relatively flat areas, although your mileage (or is that, kilometerage?) may vary.

Hi - I flew in from New York to Brussels, train to Paris (included in cheap ticket), then trains to St Jean. I found all of that sitting to be plenty of re-coup time. I got into St. Jean that evening, then spent a short day walking up to Orisson. I'd say no need to waste a couple of days unless there's something you want to do. And I agree with Margaret - start there, then bus ahead to maybe Ponferrada area and then on to Santiago. There is a lot of beautiful scenery on that section. Let us all know what you finally decide on, and buen camino - Cherry

Hi - I flew in from New York to Brussels, train to Paris (included in cheap ticket), then trains to St Jean. I found all of that sitting to be plenty of re-coup time. I got into St. Jean that evening, then spent a short day walking up to Orisson. I'd say no need to waste a couple of days unless there's something you want to do. And I agree with Margaret - start there, then bus ahead to maybe Ponferrada area and then on to Santiago. There is a lot of beautiful scenery on that section. Let us all know what you finally decide on, and buen camino - Cherry
Thanks! As a new member, I'll save your comment for later. Are there any things one would want to waste time on?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are there any things one would want to waste time on?
It depends on what you mean by wasting time.;) I find that hanging out is a useful enterprise, but others find that a waste. Sightseeing in SJPdP does not take long; it is a pretty small town. Soaking it all in may take longer. Two hours is all you need to see it.

You should be able to do the classic French Way from Burgos, which has easy rail/bus access from most anywhere in Spain.

If you want to take it easier, Sahagun is roughly half way between Roncesavalles and Santiago, also with rail/bus access, and on the French Way.

Thanks! As a new member, I'll save your comment for later. Are there any things one would want to waste time on?
Hi - It seems like a lot of people who fly into Paris or Madrid want to stay there and sightsee for a day or so. Both are beautiful cities, with lots of do. The view from the top of the Eiffel Tower is fantastic, and the Prado Museum in Madrid is my favorite place to visit there. But since I had been in both cities several times, my intent was to get to St. Jean and start walking as soon as possible. All I saw of Paris was the Metro, and a tiny bit of Madrid at the end, catching my flight home! But I did see a lot of the beautiful countryside of northern Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back