• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for advice from Logrono

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi

Today is my 7th day of the Camino. I have a blister or two so tomorrow I am taking the day off to rest my feet and let my blisters find a way to be happy. I have compeed :)

My days are slow, I don’t move fast, depending on the terrain I average around 4kmph. Also, I’m not in great shape.

Two days ago I did estrella to los arcos. It came out to about 23 using Strava. I was spent. I am not in great shape, and the bottoms of my feet hurt (I’ll switch to my other shoes). But, I also ate bread and things halfway and three quarters of the way through and I am sure it impacted my energy.

I prefer to not stop at Navarrette only because today was a short day and tomorrow I am resting. I see I can go off the route and stop in sotes or ventosa, which is not the worst thing, but I would like to start moving in a more progressive direction with distance so I can assure I am finished before December

So, my question, how do you feel about logrono to Nareja? It seems to be somewhere between 28-30km depending on what app or guidebook one is looking at.

I realize many of you are experts and can provide some sound advice.

My feeling is I can carry 3 liters of water, and enough food for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I thought if I go for 3-4 hours with short breaks then take a rest for an hour, I could repeat the same in the afternoon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi

Today is my 7th day of the Camino. I have a blister or two so tomorrow I am taking the day off to rest my feet and let my blisters find a way to be happy. I have compeed :)

My days are slow, I don’t move fast, depending on the terrain I average around 4kmph. Also, I’m not in great shape.

Two days ago I did estrella to los arcos. It came out to about 23 using Strava. I was spent. I am not in great shape, and the bottoms of my feet hurt (I’ll switch to my other shoes). But, I also ate bread and things halfway and three quarters of the way through and I am sure it impacted my energy.

I prefer to not stop at Navarrette only because today was a short day and tomorrow I am resting. I see I can go off the route and stop in sotes or ventosa, which is not the worst thing, but I would like to start moving in a more progressive direction with distance so I can assure I am finished before December

So, my question, how do you feel about logrono to Nareja? It seems to be somewhere between 28-30km depending on what app or guidebook one is looking at.

My feeling is I can carry 3 liters of water, and enough food for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I thought if I go for 3-4 hours with short breaks then take a rest for an hour, I could repeat the same in the afternoon.
I forgot to mention. I am having my bags sent forth so for me it is important to make a decision because if I just play it by feel, I may not have clean clothing, etc

Hi, lucky you on the camino! I just came home a month ago and would go back in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear you have blisters and my first reaction is, why would you want to do a very long day if you already have them? I am a fan of staying in San Saturnino Ventosa myself, it is a reasonable distance and fits well with stops in Azofra (cool muni if it is open) and Santo Domingo or Grañón, which are both good, before Belorado ... at this time of year accommodation is restricted though as many close for the winter, so you have fewer options. By Burgos you will have got camino fit and will fly across the meseta, but if 23 kms wears you out I would think twice before planning a much longer day so soon. Good luck and buen camino whatever you decide!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, lucky you on the camino! I just came home a month ago and would go back in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear you have blisters and my first reaction is, why would you want to do a very long day if you already have them? I am a fan of staying in San Saturnino Ventosa myself, it is a reasonable distance and fits well with stops in Azofra (cool muni if it is open) and Santo Domingo or Grañón, which are both good, before Belorado ... at this time of year accommodation is restricted though as many close for the winter, so you have fewer options. By Burgos you will have got camino fit and will fly across the meseta, but if 23 kms wears you out I would think twice before planning a much longer day so soon. Good luck and buen camino whatever you decide!
Thank you!! I like the ide of Ventosa too. So they stamp your Camino passport there too?

And yes, I am a bit nervous come November S many places will be closed

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Anywhere will stamp your credencial - churches, bars, restaurants, albergues, hotels ... some places they leave the stamps out for you to sort it yourself. There is one albergue and at least one casa rural in Ventosa, if I remember correctly, and at least two places to eat so you should be fine.

Gronze.com should have updated info on what is open and closed.

Hi

If you come along two US women (mom and daughter) tell them I miss them bunches.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi

Hi David buen camino.
With the tender feet and blisters I would not to too excited about such a long walk. Let your body catch up with your spirit. Any foot care you can do for yourself will pay huge dividends. They will get better and you can make up time once your in a bit better shape. For now take it easy and stay within yourself. Buen camino

Hi

Why do you carry so much water? 3L = about 6 lb? I suggest carrying enough only to get you to the next stop to fill up. When I stopped for breakfast, I purchased a coke and a bag of chips for later. After walking another 2-3 hours, I took a break along the Way, sat down, and enjoyed this snack for about 15 min. This refueled any salt I'd lost and gave a quick shot of sugar energy to my muscles. My husband just returned from the Way. He tried this method and found it really helped him. I never carried more than 16 oz of water at a time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why do you carry so much water? 3L = about 6 lb? I suggest carrying enough only to get you to the next stop to fill up. When I stopped for breakfast, I purchased a coke and a bag of chips for later. After walking another 2-3 hours, I took a break along the Way, sat down, and enjoyed this snack for about 15 min. This refueled any salt I'd lost and gave a quick shot of sugar energy to my muscles. My husband just returned from the Way. He tried this method and found it really helped him. I never carried more than 16 oz of water at a time.
I get nervous because I sweet a lot (sorry for the lack of sleep you may get from the visual)… ans I get nervous I won’t find water and dehydrate. I’m ok with dropping to two liters especially if I stop in Ventosa :)

I stopped in Ventosa after an enforced days rest due to blisters in Sep[tember this year. It worked well; I was all fired up the following day to get flying again!! Rest can be great!! Buen Camino
Thanks !!! I’m hoping all day tomorrow of rest, and massaging my feet will help. Full transparency, my feet were not so bad until yesterday when I wore my sneakers and had the brilliant idea of repeating that today. I’m out and about right now wearing my hiking shoes and I can feel they have better support :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi David buen camino.
With the tender feet and blisters I would not to too excited about such a long walk. Let your body catch up with your spirit. Any foot care you can do for yourself will pay huge dividends. They will get better and you can make up time once your in a bit better shape. For now take it easy and stay within yourself. Buen camino
Thank you for these kind words. I will cream them again tonight and I confirmed I have a small blister between my two smallest toes on my left foot so I’ll also make sure when my foot is dry to put a compeed on it. It actually doesn’t hurt much but why have any pain if possible?!

There is a lot of advice on the Forum regarding personal experiences with blisters. Let me share mine. On my first camino, I developed giant size blisters. Every step hurt. I did not find compeed to offer any relief. By the time I reached Astorga, my blisters spanned the width of both feet. After a visit to a pharmacist, and following his advice, I cut back the blistered skin, but made sure that I kept the areas clean and disinfected. Within a couple days, although I still was experiencing some pain, my feet we on the mend and ultimately in pretty good shape by the time I reached Santiago.

In my four caminos since then, I have treated my blisters very differently. At the sign of any irritation, I cover the area with paper pharmaceutical tape. This seems to work well preventing further damage. If a blister does develop, I open it and drain it immediately. Keep it clean and give your feet a rest regularly with shoes and socks off. Continue using the tape during walking hours, but let the air to your feet post walking. If you address your blisters asap, you can really minimize both their size and the pain they cause. Finally, don’t hesitate to stop into a pharmacy for advice. Most will kindly offer you all the assistance they can.

Hi

Hi David.
I don't know if this will help but this is how i plan my day having been on the Camino 4 times. I start between 6 and 7 in the morning and walk for 2 hours then take a stop of about an hour for breakfast. I then walk for another 2 hours and break for an hour for lunch. I then consult my guide book and search out an alberque between 1 and two hours away to break for the night. I too walk at about 4k an hour so I get days of 20 to 25 k on average and do not find it arduous.
Buen Camino
Vince

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi

As a reasonably fit 64 year old I found the Logroño to Najera stage a daunder - very easy - and amply compensated by how wonderful Najera was. Embrace the Camino - trust it - and just enjoy the experience - I am concerned that you are overthinking everything. Buen Camino.

First, your 4km/hr speed is not slow. I would say it is a little above average. So maybe slow down or try and stop more often which I do. I also give my feet a rest break each time I stop by taking my shoes and socks off and massaging my feet. After lunch I usually replace the socks I wore in the morning with a clean pair.

When we went through Ventosa on our first Camino, my wife and I opted for the relative luxury of the Hotel Rural Las Águedas. Room and food were wonderful and a little bit of luxury after staying exclusively in albergues since Pamplona. This was 8 years ago, so things might have changed. The co-owner and host was the wife of an executive who worked in the area, maybe in the wine industry. She was also charming...just like the accommodations.

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sotes is a little bit of an out of the way stop and many bicigrinos take that way rather than the path. The albergue there we stayed at in 2016 was a wonderful place that was the extension on the house with several rooms, a kitchen and shared bathroom. The daughter of the owner who is an English speaking school teacher came and booked us in after school in the evening. She told us her mother used the "albergue" part for vineyard workers for parts of the year. I would call ahead if you plan to stay there. It was a lovely place surrounded by vineyards It is up the hill above town. Here is the Gronze.com link with the info to call or book. When we stayed the hospitalera made us supper and also got up and made us an early hot breakfast with eggs. She also had beer, wine, soda, and other snacks available for purchase so you did not have to go all the way back to town and then back up the hill. Don't know if that is still the way today. She also had a washing machine. The terrace is lovely and the sunset and sunrise views were stunning.

There is a lot of advice on the Forum regarding personal experiences with blisters. Let me share mine. On my first camino, I developed giant size blisters. Every step hurt. I did not find compeed to offer any relief. By the time I reached Astorga, my blisters spanned the width of both feet. After a visit to a pharmacist, and following his advice, I cut back the blistered skin, but made sure that I kept the areas clean and disinfected. Within a couple days, although I still was experiencing some pain, my feet we on the mend and ultimately in pretty good shape by the time I reached Santiago.

In my four caminos since then, I have treated my blisters very differently. At the sign of any irritation, I cover the area with paper pharmaceutical tape. This seems to work well preventing further damage. If a blister does develop, I open it and drain it immediately. Keep it clean and give your feet a rest regularly with shoes and socks off. Continue using the tape during walking hours, but let the air to your feet post walking. If you address your blisters asap, you can really minimize both their size and the pain they cause. Finally, don’t hesitate to stop into a pharmacy for advice. Most will kindly offer you all the assistance they can.
Thank you for this great info

Should be in Estella today. Mom is taller than daughter. Daughter has blond hair and would be pulled up.
Great they are only a couple of days behind me… tell them to yell hello if they see me, I took this in the morning

How far are they going each day?

Attachments

• 3DF86227-FB56-4017-8254-1981D851B48F.jpeg
    3DF86227-FB56-4017-8254-1981D851B48F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • B27907A5-F0D8-4E68-888A-E4FBB4342C54.jpeg
    B27907A5-F0D8-4E68-888A-E4FBB4342C54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sotes is a little bit of an out of the way stop and many bicigrinos take that way rather than the path. The albergue there we stayed at in 2016 was a wonderful place that was the extension on the house with several rooms, a kitchen and shared bathroom. The daughter of the owner who is an English speaking school teacher came and booked us in after school in the evening. She told us her mother used the "albergue" part for vineyard workers for parts of the year. I would call ahead if you plan to stay there. It was a lovely place surrounded by vineyards It is up the hill above town. Here is the Gronze.com link with the info to call or book. When we stayed the hospitalera made us supper and also got up and made us an early hot breakfast with eggs. She also had beer, wine, soda, and other snacks available for purchase so you did not have to go all the way back to town and then back up the hill. Don't know if that is still the way today. She also had a washing machine. The terrace is lovely and the sunset and sunrise views were stunning.
Thank you so much for this detailed info and for the link, I really appreciate it very much!

Hi

I prefer to not stop at Navarrette only because today was a short day and tomorrow I am resting. I see I can go off the route and stop in sotes or ventosa, which is not the worst thing, but I would like to start moving in a more progressi
Be sure to stop at Bar Deportivo for pinxos and garlic soup—the best!!!

My $0.02 about walking, speed, and blisters:

The kinder you are to your feet now, in the relatively front part of your Camino, the stronge and faster you will be towards the back part, as you sense your Camino coming to an end.

Not that you’ll WANT it to go quickly, of course.

One day’s rest with solid recovery time for blisters and TWO good nights’ sleep (the night you decide to stay and the night before you start up again) will make a big difference. Keep everything very clean, dry, and aired out as much as possible.

Unless you try to force your body to do more than it is prepared to do, you should be able to make your schedule without any problem, IMHO.

Your Camino is supposed to be enjoyable, not an unconquerable challenge that leaves you in worse shape than when you began. If you think you are running out of time, so what?? Take a bus to the next town and catch up!!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My $0.02 about walking, speed, and blisters:

The kinder you are to your feet now, in the relatively front part of your Camino, the stronge and faster you will be towards the back part, as you sense your Camino coming to an end.

Not that you’ll WANT it to go quickly, of course.

One day’s rest with solid recovery time for blisters and TWO good nights’ sleep (the night you decide to stay and the night before you start up again) will make a big difference. Keep everything very clean, dry, and aired out as much as possible.

Unless you try to force your body to do more than it is prepared to do, you should be able to make your schedule without any problem, IMHO.

Your Camino is supposed to be enjoyable, not an unconquerable challenge that leaves you in worse shape than when you began. If you think you are running out of time, so what?? Take a bus to the next town and catch up!!

Buen Camino!
This is sage advice and sound reasoning and I agree with everything you have said

I agree with all the advice referring to give your feet a rest and time enough do get the blisters healed up. That's what I regret not to have done: to avoid the pain of every step, I walked too much on my heels, so that I got a plantarfasciitis (heel spur) and finally had to give up for this year. I hope that you'll recover soon and have a great time on the camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m an advocate for taking it nice and easy (ie slowly) to start and by the time you hit the meseta, you’ll be able to go further each day than you can now. Try too much too soon, and you risk injury that will ruin your fine experience.

There is water in nearly every village. ¿Donde esta la fuente? is the phrase you need. Or hand your bottle to the barkeep (ideally after you’ve bought a coffee or snack) and they will refill it for you.

Due to having walked from Logrono to Najera on past Caminos, last time it was pouring and I took a taxi from Ventosa to Najera and walked to Azofra. Another option.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back