• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for backpack accessory pouch

Desota

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring (2014)- Le Puy route
Hi all,
I've been looking for a lightweight pouch big enough for sunglasses and phone to hang from carabiner or other fastening device from the shoulder straps of a rucksack.

The main utility here is that i figured i could listen to french language lessons once or twice a day from my IPhone. and it would nice if i could holster it close to my chest, rather than shoving it a pocket.

i found this, which was the right material, but has a waist strap that i would likely cutoff.
Patagonia Lightweight Travel Mini Hip Pack.

any other ideas out there?

thanks,
Desota

0 reviews
Write a review

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
listen to french language lessons once or twice a day from my IPhone. and it would nice if i could holster it close to my chest, rather than shoving it a pocket.
For me pockets can be a very moist environment for my iPhone, so carrying it elsewhere may keep it from getting soaked. I used a pants pocket most of the time, but that leaves it open to rain. The front pockets on my Aarn pack are perfect, but that does not help you! REI and other outdoor stores have a lot of pack pockets to choose from, so visit a store to see options (or check out rei.com on the internet, then find a discount somewhere).

How about the small pocket(s) on your backpack's hip belt? If that's too small, I carried this REI shower bag http://www.rei.com/product/834740/rei-shower-kit as a small chest pack, clipped to the straps of my backpack with a couple of small carabiners (it has loops on both ends). See the photo below. It may be larger than you need, however. I kept my guidebook, sunglasses, a small spiral notepad, and a bandana in it. My phone was in a cargo pocket of my zip-off shorts. In addition, I had a small fanny pack which carried my pilgrim credentials and a couple of other essentials that went with me to the shower and that I carried in the evenings when I was not carrying the backpack.
upload_2014-4-21_10-11-51.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While the AARN balance pockets are great, they are intended for use only with specific AARN rucksack models. They are also wickedly expensive, particularly if you do not live in New Zealand or Australia.

However, there are several ways to accomplish what you seek to do depending on how your rucksack harness is fitted. Here are several approaches:
  • If your rucksack has attachment points on the front of the shoulder straps to clip things using small, lightweight carabiners, you could simply obtain a small siliconized-nylon day pack or shoulder tote and use two carabiners to hang it from the straps. Depending on the bag you bought, this could provide from 10 to 20 liters of additional space. However, it would double as a shopping bag, laundry bag, shower tote, and sightseeing bag. I also use mine as a carry on bag for the plane ride over. Check here for some ideas: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/7
The sling bag and the day pack are the ones I own. here is where I get my carabiners and assorted handy gadgets: http://www.niteize.com/collection/Hardware.asp
  • If your rucksack has upper shoulder strap adjustments, where the shoulder straps meet the top of your rucksack, consider using additional thin webbing to attach a specialized "belly pack." This year, I am using this solution: http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml
How I did it:

I had my local shoe repair guy sew 3/4" plastic d-rings onto a length of 5/8 inch black nylon webbing. I attached this to the upper-back pack attachment point. The other ends terminate in extra snap clips I bought from Zpacks. I also used plastic slip rings attached to the lower side attachment points for the shoulder straps (at the lower side) of the rucksack, combined with small plastic carabiners and another shorter length of the same 5/8 inch webbing with a 5/8 inch d-ring (also sewn by the shoe repair guy), and ZPack clips on the business end to provide the lower left and right mountings for this rig.

This all sounds far more complicated than it is. Basically, I used 4, customized lengths of 5/8 inch black polyester webbing with plastic hardware (d-rings, keepers, slides, etc) obtained from ZPacks or from this place: http://www.buckleguy.com/plastic-hardware/ to develop my own custom "harness" that mates to the rucksack harness. I designed it to be stored easily when not desired. The belly sack has about a three-liter capacity. It is water resistant and VERY lightweight as it is made from Cuben Fiber. Mine is grey to match my rucksack colors.​

This year, I intend to use the ZPacks belly bag rig to carry my guidebook, hats, gloves, electrolyte powder, extra 500 ml water bottles, snacks, etc. ZPacks provides a handy shoulder strap for use when you get to your day's destination. This bag becomes a handy touring bag.

I already use four Nite-Ize "Drink n Clips" to hold 4 x 500 ml bottles of water. These bottles contain either plain water, or water mixed with my required protein powder and something for taste - either an electrolyte replacement powder (Tang Sport) or instant coffee (Nescafe -purchased locally). See: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp
To ensure the clips do not spring off the bottle neck, I found that using either a doubled-over rubber band or a large diameter silicone "O" ring from the hardware store keeps the clip securely mounted. These clip-provided bottles mount to the front of my rucksack harness...not unlike hand grenades hanging from a military web harness. I know, that is not a Camino view, but it will help you get the general idea. I use the sternum strap to hang the bottles. Sometimes I will place extra bottles lower - on my hip belt.

The key thing in all of this is to try to shift some weight from the back and sides of your rucksack to your front. That shifts the balance point and your center of gravity. Last year, moving just one kilo of weight - two 500 ml bottles - made a noticeable improvement in comfort. This was inspired by meeting some New Zealanders with AARN packs. My efforts this year are to build on that experience and see if I cannot take it further.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Granite gear makes this:
64896.jpg
http://gearx.com/granite-gear-shoulder-strap-pocket.html
Gossamer gear makes one: http://gossamergear.com/shoulder-strap-pocket.html
or a simple phone belt clip case if your shoulder straps have a strap to clip them to
vertical-nylon-carrying-case-pouch-for-apple-iphone-5-black-32710.jpg

Hope this helps.
Rambler

I second the Aarn system. People may have laughed at me & the pack but I had no problems retrieving camera, guide book, water, gloves, lippy etc from front pouches. The whole pack system was also extremely comfortable & waterproof.

I think the Aarn pockets are the only ones that allow you to see your feet, between the two pockets, which is a bit of a make or break for me. They are not cheap backpacks anymore but I think I've bought all mine on sale, when a new model is just out. I'm up to number 3, not because anything goes wrong with them but because my daughter purloined the first and husband the second.

I feel a bit of cheapskate looking at all these bags etc as I use a zipped freezer bag attached with a nappy pin to keep the things i need throughout the day and it hangs on the left of my rucksack. I may pop down to camping shop later as I don't want to look like an unprofessional pilgrim.:(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the phone you can get an arm band type holder. Goes around your bi/tricep area. Mainly aimed at runners. They don't tend to be very expensive.

I wore a "bum bag" across my tummy. It held a small first aid kit, mobile phone, credential, snacks and a small wallet. It had two pockets on either side that held my water bottles. It was invaluable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used a 3litre waterproof pouch from Overboard. Holds documents, camera, phone. Easy to take into shower. Designed for waist which I did sometimes, other times strapped around pack while walking.

Lots of great references in here!
Thanks for all the tips. I had not thought of the need to access documents, like the credential. More things to consider and now just a week away from departure. !!!

T2andreo: I've seen your descriptions of alterations on other threads. Amazing detail. Thank you.

Desota

Hi all,
I've been looking for a lightweight pouch big enough for sunglasses and phone to hang from carabiner or other fastening device from the shoulder straps of a rucksack.

The main utility here is that i figured i could listen to french language lessons once or twice a day from my IPhone. and it would nice if i could holster it close to my chest, rather than shoving it a pocket.

i found this, which was the right material, but has a waist strap that i would likely cutoff.
Patagonia Lightweight Travel Mini Hip Pack.

any other ideas out there?

thanks,
Desota

0 reviews
Write a review
Hi,

Have you seen the "Ribz" range? Watched a great you tube video yesterday on these and was very impressed!

www.ribzwear.com

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjadcVo9nQ

Good luck, I wish you well.

Mark

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.