• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for Camino recommendations for 1 week in October for solo female traveller

Maggie.Blueberry

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk a part in 2017!!
Hello!

It looks like I may have a week in Europe in the second week of October and I have always wanted to do the Camino de Santiago.

I know a week isn't long but I want to seize the opportunity and at least get a taste of the famous journey.

So, I am seeking your recommendations on route or any advice you might have.

I will be a solo female traveller so I am interested in meeting other travellers on route. Also, it will be in the second week of October so I'm not sure if some routes tend to have more rain than others.

With these in mind (solo female, first timer, mid October), my search so far has led me to the Camino Frances from Serria or the Camino Portuguese from Tui. Any thoughts on these or others?

Are both of these starting points easily accessible if I fly into Santiago? Also, anywhere in Santiago where I can leave most of my luggage while I'm walking?

Also, if i have some time after the hike, any recommendations on a nice and relatively close place to spend a day or two?

I'm not sure about distances/trains/buses so any thoughts on how far it would be feasible for me to travel for a couple days. I might be able to get a flight out of somewhere else other than Santiago like Lisbon or Barcelona if they're feasible....(coming from Canada, distances in Europe always surprise me as shorter than I thought! Haha)

Anyways, thanks a million in advance!

Cheers,
Maggie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Both are good routes, but there will be more people on the Francés. If you want company and community, go for that, if you want solitary walks, walk from Tui.

Have a wonderful time, and welcome to addiction - it's really hard to stop at one...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are both of these starting points easily accessible if I fly into Santiago? Also, anywhere in Santiago where I can leave most of my luggage while I'm walking?
Sarria is the more accessible of the two. You can leave luggage in Santiago either with your hotel or with Ivar (see the link normally at the top of the page).

Buen camino.

Welcome to the forum @Maggie.Blueberry It really depends if getting a Compostela (this year) is important to you or not. If yes any of the 'last' 100km starting points are reasonable easy to reach by public transport. BUT you will be in Galicia which can by quite rainy in October.
If you don't want/need a Compostela this time, you could for example walk from Roncesvalles or Pamplona as far as you get, perhaps Logroño, and continue next year.

Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also, anywhere in Santiago where I can leave most of my luggage while I'm walking?
If you can survive for a week on what you carry, why bother bringing anything else along? For that matter, whatever you think you'll need (or forget about till you're already there), consider which is more convenient: packing it to take to an airport, or saving the baggage weight to buy it when you need it?

Hi! Welcome to the camino. I can't tell you what the weather will be like in October, though it can be nice and warm! I
I did the Poruguese in October and I once walked from Samos in October. Both were warm and sunny but the Frances was busy with people who had known each other for some time and it was not that easy to feel part of the camino. On the Portuguese, admittedly I walked from Porto, we were a small number but we were friendly and people walked different distances so the group varied, it was easier to mix in. Personally I have always found it more possible to be lonely in a busy place than in a quieter one.
I would also reckon that it is easier to get to Tui or Valenca than to Sarria, there are both buses and trains from Santiago to Tui and Valenca is a must to visit, but then so are Pontevedra and Padron!!
Buen camino whichever you chose:)

Welcome to the forum @Maggie.Blueberry It really depends if getting a Compostela (this year) is important to you or not. If yes any of the 'last' 100km starting points are reasonable easy to reach by public transport. BUT you will be in Galicia which can by quite rainy in October.
If you don't want/need a Compostela this time, you could for example walk from Roncesvalles or Pamplona as far as you get, perhaps Logroño, and continue next year.

Buen Camino, SY
Last year there was practically no rain at this time of year. It was beautiful. Have a good walk!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back