• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for Daniel from England...walking with crutches

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May-June (2016)
I know there will be another in the not too distant future!
Has anyone met Daniel from England, a young man who has cerebral palsy and is walking with crutches? I met him on my second day on the Camino. He's an amazing young man and I carried a prayer for him the entire way to Santiago. I thought of him often, especially in those more treacherous areas where I had difficulty, wondering if he would be able to make it down that steep, slippery slope or across that river bed. I neglected to get his contact information, though, and I'm curious as to whether he's been able to continue. He started the beginning of May and had 90 days to get to Santiago, so I'm hoping he's still on the Camino and that someone has seen him.

Attachments

• Daniel.jpg
    Daniel.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 120
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I believe that I met Daniel about the 9th or 10th of June on the Camino Frances. As I only met one person doing the Camino on crutches. I think it was walking to Castrojeriz. I did not see him after the one meeting. If it is the same person, he preferred to walk alone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, Daniel is alive and well. My friend who is walking now posted two pictures of him yesterday, going from Rabanal to Foncebedon. He carried his pack for Daniel. Dayton.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who responded with Daniel sightings. My heart is soaring with the knowledge that Daniel is still on the Camino and doing well! I will continue to keep him in my prayers and send him love and encouraging thoughts!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I have tracked Daniel down, he's still walking!, got a last name, and have connected with him on Facebook. I am so grateful to everyone for the help. As one pilgrim said: The Camino provides!

I met an amazing guy from London named Daniel a few weeks ago on the Camino. He was using crutches and hoped to make Santiago by the end of July. Does anyone have news of him please?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would love to know when he finishes and see a photo. Such a positive and happy guy.

I am getting chills reading this thread. So much care and solidarity and so much courage and strength from Daniel.

Hearing he is carrying his own backpack when on crutches and with cerebral palsy certainly puts the concept of physical limitations in perspective for the rest of us doesn't it?

No wonder so many are looking out for him. What an inspiration, both him, and those looking out for him.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am working at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago as a volunteer. Looking at the photo of Daniel above, I am positive I saw him at a 10:30 am Catholic Mass in English, at the Cathedral earlier this past week. Right now, I am trying to narrow down the day.

Tomorrow, I will try to see if we can search for his Compostela record at the office based on the first name, nationality, and route. Does anyone know where he started on the Frances?

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay. I am in the office tomorrow after 15:00. Will try to find him and report only the basics here.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am working at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago as a volunteer. Looking at the photo of Daniel above, I am positive I saw him at a 10:30 am Catholic Mass in English, at the Cathedral earlier this past week. Right now, I am trying to narrow down the day.

Tomorrow, I will try to see if we can search for his Compostela record at the office based on the first name, nationality, and route. Does anyone know where he started on the Frances?

I hope this helps.

Thank you!!! That means he made it within his 90 day window!! He started in SJPP in early May. I started on the 7th and met him on my second day. I think he had already been walking for about 5 days at that time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met him last week on Saturday 23, just before Monte de Gozo, he was planning to stay there that night, and walk into Santiago Sunday morning the 24th July (just in time for St James's day - what timing!). He was going strong, in fine form! A very inspiring man indeed (and I told him so!).

IMG_2350.jpg

Last edited:
As I said I would do, on arrival for my shift today, I checked with the Pilgrim Office staff. Daniel arrived and received his Compostela on 28 July.

The records do not contain names, so they are not searchable, per se. This is part of the EU privacy laws.

My results were achieved by finding the office staff person who greeted him on arrival. I just spoke to the staff person, showed him Daniel's photo and got lucky. Evidently, Daniel totally impressed everyone who was here at the time.

Kudos to Daniel for having the perseverance, grace, stubbornness, and persistence to accomplish this overwhelming pilgrimage. I have walked this route twice and I cannot imagine doing it with his disability.

He has my utmost and most sincere understanding and congratulations for a job well and truly done.

As always, I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As I said I would do, on arrival for my shift today, I checked with the Pilgrim Office staff. Daniel arrived and received his Compostela on 28 July.

The records do not contain names, so they are not searchable, per se. This is part of the EU privacy laws.

My results were achieved by finding the office staff person who greeted him on arrival. I just spoke to the staff person, showed him Daniel's photo and got lucky. Evidently, Daniel totally impressed everyone who was here at the time.

Kudos to Daniel for having the perseverance, grace, stubbornness, and persistence to accomplish this overwhelming pilgrimage. I have walked this route twice and I cannot imagine doing it with his disability.

He has my utmost and most sincere understanding and congratulations for a job well and truly done.

As always, I hope this helps.

Thank you SO much t2Andreo!! I am thrilled to find out that Daniel did arrive in Santiago and received his Compostela. He was an inspiration to me at the very beginning and it makes my heart soar to hear how much he inspired others all along the Way, and that he completed this daunting journey. Like you, I can't imagine having done it on crutches. He continues to remain in my thoughts, my heart and my prayers. My sincerest hope for him is that he can use the great achievement of finishing the Camino as a metaphor for what he can accomplish in life. I truly believe he can do anything he sets his mind to!

Hello All. But later to chime in here but I met Daniel on the walk I forget the exact location but it was a small building converted to a free place to stay outside of a town and had a small pool for bathing feet and was said to be special water.
Anyway we had a night there hanging out with Daniel..
He is a very special man and I just did a Google search because I wanted to find him and so glad he turned up in the forum.. and that he made it!
Yay! I would love to connect with him of Facebook if anyone is willing to share his details can pm me.. or find me on Facebook (Jay Barnett, Wanaka New Zealand)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back