• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm looking for good elevation maps for the VF Lightfoot route.

kiwiDavid

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - SJPP-Finisterre
Can anyone help with good elevation guides for the Lightfoot route Besancon to Rome ?
I've tried to find detailed ones for each section but no luck - the ones in the guidebook are tiny.
Also tried to work them out from the Lightfoot waypoints with various apps but haven't been able to.
I would like to compare elevations of each section with the official route if possible (I have good ones for that route - thanks kazrobbo) - David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@kiwiDavid , kia ora

You may have sorted your query by other means since last August.

I can offer three suggestions. All three source their data from the Open Street Map (OSM) data base.

1) in a browser start hikingWayMarkedTrails.
That link will show the section from Besancon (to the frontier). For this section and any other route you can select "Elevation Profile". Pulling back you will see other "hiking" routes (way marked trails). If the underlying route is not contiguous in the data base (even though it may display correctly) the elevation profile will be unhelpful. I looked at most of the route from Besancon to Rome recently and found the elevation profiles were OK. Because each section is quite long the profiles tend to be quite indicative of elevation changes.

2) in an Android phone/tablet - Windy Maps - free (at present)
This is a relatively new offering and I am still becoming familiar with it, I like the relatively uncluttered presentation. It shows both walking and cycling routes on the edges of the path, road etc so the name of the road is still visible. It has a route planning function. Putting in your route will show an elevation profile.

3) in an Android phone/tablet - OSMand+ (may need to pay for the + version to access more maps etc)
I have used this for many years have have "grown up" with its development changes. This also has a route planning function and also produces an elevation profile.

If it would help you I can discuss aspects of your preferences.

Kia kaha

You may have sorted your query by other means since last August.

I can offer three suggestions. All three source their data from the Open Street Map (OSM) data base.

Thanks Alwyn - I probably would have removed this post by now (as you can see it's had a huge amount of feedback over time) but I'm not sure how.
I did manage to get some elevation profiles from Kazrobbo and then found more on the 'outdooractive' website which I have posted on this site.
I will definitely have a look at your suggestions especially Windy Maps which sounds intriguing.
What I was trying to do was get more of a gut feeling for what I would be walking into - up mountainsides or along asphalt or a pleasant riverside stroll - and I eventually came up with a simple method.
I've imported the various routes (Official VF / Lightfoot guide waypoints) into Google Earth and I'm using a feature which lets you fly along the route lines that are layed over Google Earth (works best with the Official route - in the Lightfoot case it runs from point to point stopping at each one for a few seconds).
When the route section is ticked / highlighted in My Places (after importing) a small folder appears alongside the up/down arrows.When opened it starts a tour along the route on Google Earth.
Speed - camera angle - camera range are all preset but can be adjusted - "fly along lines" must be checked in the Tools/touring section for it to work.
It's good to give you a more realistic idea of the route I think - also for problem solving and working around tough sections.
You can also stop the animation and follow the route manually to have a closer look at some sections or pull back to have an overall look at a section.
Anyway food for thought - as you can see I'm spending way to much time on my little project.
Good luck with your start this year - hopefully the Coronavirus won't put a spoke in the wheel !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've imported the various routes (Official VF / Lightfoot guide way points) into Google Earth and I'm using a feature which lets you fly along the route lines that are layered over Google Earth

I'll have to try this, thank you.

Using other techniques (mainly WayMarkedTrails) the "interesting" sections I have noted include:

France:
a) the rise up to Langres
b) the rise up to Pontarlier
c) the rise from Pontarlier to Jounge in parallel to the N57

Switzerland
a) the rise to Grand-Saint-Bernard (as far as I can go before catching the bus)

Italy
a) the last section into Aosta after getting of the bus
b) the passage up and down (?) Passo del Cisa
c) occasionally stairs (up and down) in villages.

Coronavirus:
Reading about the difficulties in Lombardy (= Milan and surrounds if my geography is still sound) I have decided to ask questions of my travel insurer in such a way they can understand the cost risk to them if I have to reroute etc.

And kia ora for your thoughts.

Using other techniques (mainly WayMarkedTrails) the "interesting" sections I have noted include:

Have had a look at the rise to Pontalier and rise Pontarlier to Jougne using the Google earth fly by feature - also some sections leading up to the Grand St Bernard pass - it gives you some idea of the topography you're facing without actually walking it.
You might need KMZ files for Google Earth to make the flyby feature work - they're on this forum for Besanscon to Rome.
One thing I have noted and which has been confirmed by feedback from someone using the KMZ files on Google Earth while walking on the VF - when pinpointing their own location Google Maps was more accurate - Google Earth did not pinpoint your location as accurately (it was a matter of some metres only - not kms - but still significant).

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back