• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for hiking socks in Sarria

MCFearnley

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada to Santiago (September 2016)
Hi all,
I will be reaching Sarria tomorrow and I would like to know where I can find thick hiking socks like the brand Smartwool in Sarria. One pair is starting to wear thin. The other is still doing well.
Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,
I will be reaching Sarria tomorrow and I would like to know where I can find thick hiking socks like the brand Smartwool in Sarria. One pair is starting to wear thin. The other is still doing well.
Thanks.

In Sarria THE place for hiking clothes and supplies is Peregrinoteca. Located on the camino at Calle Benigno Quiroga, 16 bajo it has everything any pilgrim could need! See more info in their web.
http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks.
You are moving along well:) If I remember correctly once you enter town you will start up a hill the shops are just down from the top running perpendicular to the arrows you are following. Since it is the beginning for many I have no doubt you will find good socks. Like you Smartwool is all I wear, but You should not have a problem. Are you planning a night there or trying to push on? The next good sized town is Melede Sp? So you probably should take the time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is a great sporting goods store at the bottom of the steep steps you go up and down, near the Bar Escalinata.

@MTtoCamino I am in Samos this morning and will be stopping in Sarria for the night

@mspath Thanks for the store recommendation, I will keep an eye out for it.

I seem to have gained a day with the fact that I took the opportunity of hopping on a "haycart" in the form of a taxi another perigrina had called from Vega de Valcarce to O Cebreiro. The weather was absolute shits :mad: and it was the third day of it. Since yesterday it has been improving, cold but no rain, finally! :)

I hit three stores and none of them had wool socks:(. All the socks were cotton-based:eek:
I did the next best thing and replaced the insoles of my shoes with silicone ones. I hope that will do the trick.:rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hit three stores and none of them had wool socks:(. All the socks were cotton-based:eek:
I did the next best thing and replaced the insoles of my shoes with silicone ones. I hope that will do the trick.:rolleyes:
That amazes me! Tells me they simply don't recognize what equipment is needed to walk in comfort. I had the same issue when I lost my fleece coat prior to Ocebrio I could not replace it prior to my crossing. Start to look in small town general stores you will be amazed what you will find dusty on top of some of the shelves. Found all wool shoe inserts in one. Hang in there just dry the 1 pair you have left & substitute is short duration until they dry ou if the humidity or rain is not too bad. Do you have any walking sandals?

I am manging reasonably well, but by the end of the day my 'dogs' are barking very loudly. I did not take my hiking sandals as they were nagging my pinky toes. I do have bright 'camino yellow' crocs that could do in a pinch. However, things are ok if I stop regularly and massage my feet. The first three days of rain sort of made it difficult to simply stop at a bench for a sit. Everything was dripping wet. Beautiful weather now.

I am manging reasonably well, but by the end of the day my 'dogs' are barking very loudly. I did not take my hiking sandals as they were nagging my pinky toes. I do have bright 'camino yellow' crocs that could do in a pinch. However, things are ok if I stop regularly and massage my feet. The first three days of rain sort of made it difficult to simply stop at a bench for a sit. Everything was dripping wet. Beautiful weather now.
Yes one way or another it will work out. I found a good beer around 1400 seemed to help with any non life threatening annoyances. Yep I had crocs as well mine were camo so no one noticed me :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back