• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for input, please...

Via de Plata or Camino Madrid

• Via de plata from Salamanca

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Madrid to Camino Frances

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Naturalpace

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2017
We are arriving on the 9th of August in Barcelona, staying for 3 nights and then on to SJPP to begin the Camino Frances August 14th. As an "add on" we have volunteered at Diverbo for one week, August 25th- September 1st. ( look it up, it is AWESOME) SO, we thought...hey, why don't we WALK from either Madrid to join the Camino Frances or from Salamanca (where the Diverbo "school" is) and join Via de la Plata. We think we will get as far as Logrona on the CF and then take the bus/train to Madrid (where we will be picked up for the "school"). What are your thoughts? should we walk from Madrid? and do the Camino till it joins the Camino Frances? (we get a ride back to Madrid), just walk from Salamanca? or take the bus back to where we left the Camino Frances? (that is what we originally thought) This is our first Camino and we have 9 weeks in Europe to complete it to Finisterre including the week we spend at Diverbo. Any other ideas??
Thank you all so much!!! Donna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi! I'm a little confused, but it looks like you have 10 days to walk (August 14-25) before you interrupt it to do your volunteer work, and then you have another 6 (?) weeks to fill.

I like the original plan to walk from SJPP for 10 days. That will give you a good taste of the experience and you can decide whether you want to return and pick up the Camino Frances, or if you would like a less-populated path. In the latter case, you would have time to walk from Salamanca to Santiago and then Finisterre.

I really think you are confusing/complicating things for yourself here. Just after you got used to walking every day, you will interrupt your pilgrimage, leave all your new won friends, volunteer a week somewhere else, go back to finish/restart/start a new pilgrimage. Why don't you do your volunteering at the end/before you start your pilgrimage, but not in the middle? Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Exactly what @SYates wrote!
It is your first Camino as I see from your avatar and you will be cutting it in half for no apparent reason that has been known to us (whom you are asking for advice)??? Think about it. OK, it can be a hike, but it is (and should be) much more than just a hike.

Anyway, have a nice time in Spain!

Hi! I'm a little confused, but it looks like you have 10 days to walk (August 14-25) before you interrupt it to do your volunteer work, and then you have another 6 (?) weeks to fill.

I like the original plan to walk from SJPP for 10 days. That will give you a good taste of the experience and you can decide whether you want to return and pick up the Camino Frances, or if you would like a less-populated path. In the latter case, you would have time to walk from Salamanca to Santiago and then Finisterre.
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Exactly what @SYates wrote!
It is your first Camino as I see from your avatar and you will be cutting it in half for no apparent reason that has been known to us (whom you are asking for advice)??? Think about it. OK, it can be a hike, but it is (and should be) much more than just a hike.

Anyway, have a nice time in Spain!
Yes....I agree it is much more.....we were just wondering how it would be joining another camino to meet the Camino Frances or just take the bus back to where we left off. We tried to get an earlier spot at Diverbo but there was nothing available. We think we will be as far as Logrona on the CF...and can certainly return there.

We are arriving on the 9th of August in Barcelona, staying for 3 nights and then on to SJPP to begin the Camino Frances August 14th. As an "add on" we have volunteered at Diverbo for one week, August 25th- September 1st. ( look it up, it is AWESOME) SO, we thought...hey, why don't we WALK from either Madrid to join the Camino Frances or from Salamanca ( where the Diverbo "school" is) and join Via de la Plata. We think we will get as far as Logrona on the CF and then take the bus/train to Madrid (where we will be picked up for the "school"). What are your thoughts? should we walk from Madrid? and do the Camino til it joins the Camino Frances? (we get a ride back to Madrid), just walk from Salamanca? or take the bus back to where we left the Camino Frances? (that is what we originally thought) This is our first Camino and we have 9 weeks in Europe to complete it to Finisterre including the week we spend at Diverbo. Any other ideas??
Thank you all so much!!! Donna
First of all, if Diverbo used to be Pueblo Ingles and you are staying at La Alberca, you will have a fantastic and rewarding experience. I volunteered twice for Pueblo Ingles, and have always wanted to return for another stint. Based on your post, I agree with CClearly's suggestion because it leaves you with options. However, if this is your first camino, I would recommend completing the Camino Frances. You have the time, and September should be less crowded. Buen camino!

First of all, if Diverbo used to be Pueblo Ingles and you are staying at La Alberca, you will have a fantastic and rewarding experience. I volunteered twice for Pueblo Ingles, and have always wanted to return for another stint. Based on your post, I agree with CClearly's suggestion because it leaves you with options. However, if this is your first camino, I would recommend completing the Camino Frances. You have the time, and September should be less crowded. Buen camino!
YES! it is the "old" Pueblo Inglis..I have wanted to go there for some time and feel very fortunate to have both of my dreams realized this trip! Thank you!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back