• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for lightweight tent

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Picking out a tent is a bit like choosing footwear. You'll get lots of advice, but in the end it has to work for your feet, not someone else's. Same with tents. It also depends on how much money you are willing or able to pay, and how lightweight you want it to be. There are many brands and models that are reasonably lightweight, decent quality and not too expensive. Then you also have to think about whether you just want to sleep in it, or if it needs to be high enough to sit in, double or single wall tent, do you want to be able to pitch the outer before the inner, ect.

I do own four tents by now and have used three of them on Caminos. Mine are quite heavy for the ultralight crowd but light enough for me (1,5-2kg). My pack currently weighs about 8kg, and that includes half a litre of water, some emergency snacks and a sleeping bag that keeps me perfectly warm even at -10C.

Of course there are much more lightweight options depending on budget. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What is your maximum price and weight? - and then design type?
For me it would have to be a free standing tent that then can also be pegged out rather than the traditional type that only stand up when pegged out.
The reason for this is that a free-standing tent can be used where pegs can't be used, such as a refugio concrete or wood verandah - best of both worlds for me.

Zpacks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hilleberg tents will see you through pretty much anything the camino can throw at you weather wise n any season
agreed! I love them to bits BUT for 3/4 season my Laser Comp 1 will hack it and its lighter and cheaper BUT when I finish building my next hip-belt hiking trolley and weight is not a problem AND I've won the lottery it would be the HILLEBERG AKTO.

Good luck

and buen camino

Samarkand.

I used a Karrimor Ultralite on the Le Puy route which is about 1 kg in weight. It also has space under the extended flysheet for your rucksack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am looking for a very lightweight tent for upcoming Caminos and/or other pilgrimages.

I'm one person and would prefer to keep my backpack in the tent with me.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
I have no experience whatsoever with tents but for a few years I have been following several YouTube hikers of the long distance American trails.

What I have learned is that the Zpaks Duplex is very popular because it’s very lightweight and made of Dyneema (aka Cuban Fiber) which is a waterproof material that is very durable and lightweight. I think it’s an expensive material but a marvel that all backpacks should be made from if it wasn’t so expensive.

The Duplex is in theory big enough for 2 but Dixie on the Homemade Wunderlust channel says it has the advantage of being big enough to accommodate her and a backpack with breathing space. There is also a vestibule outside the tent for rainproof cooking.

Dixie buys all her own kit and I believe that her reviews are, in my opinion, entirely without bias.

The weight is brought down to about 500g as it has no frame. The support is provided by using your trekking poles. It’s about $650 USD.

I understand that the Big Agnes is also popular.

Best of luck. What an adventure and a very smart choice given how busy the Camino will be next year

Buen Camino!

I have no experience whatsoever with tents but for a few years I have been following several YouTube hikers of the long distance American trails.

What I have learned is that the Zpaks Duplex is very popular because it’s very lightweight and made of Dyneema (aka Cuban Fiber) which is a waterproof material that is very durable and lightweight. I think it’s an expensive material but a marvel that all backpacks should be made from if it wasn’t so expensive.

The Duplex is in theory big enough for 2 but Dixie on the Homemade Wunderlust channel says it has the advantage of being big enough to accommodate her and a backpack with breathing space. There is also a vestibule outside the tent for rainproof cooking.

Dixie buys all her own kit and I believe that her reviews are, in my opinion, entirely without bias.

The weight is brought down to about 500g as it has no frame. The support is provided by using your trekking poles. It’s about $650 USD.

I understand that the Big Agnes is also popular.

Best of luck. What an adventure and a very smart choice given how busy the Camino will be next year

Buen Camino!
I follow a Landscape photographer - Dave Morrow - that swears by it for his expeditions.
His gear video

Zpacks have been mentioned and though made with the lightest materials like Dyneema, they are inversely related when it comes to price, being at the higher end.

Consider looking into TarpTent. USA Made, made of Silnylon, usually and about half the price of a Dyneema tent but a bit heavier. I have a Contrail, which is not made any longer but may be picked up as used somewhere, like I did. It weighs a pound without pegs and uses one walking stick for support. There is a Youtube video on it. Barring this, look at the Tarptent lineup for something that suits.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: When packing a tent, do not use metal pegs. Try to find some short plastic pegs as metal ones will be confiscated by TSA.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Z-packs and Hilleberg tents are great quality from what I've read, but is a 1000 Euro tent really necessary for a Camino?

That's more than I spent on my entire six weeks long first Francés!

Lanshan 1 or 2 tents weigh around a 1kg or less you will use your trekking poles as support also very reasonably priced around 120- 150 euros, naturehike tents also good and reasonably priced (have a cloud up 2tent and is great bang for buck) if that is what you are looking for compared to more expensive brands like mentioned above

I have the Zack altaplex,one person,and love it. I plan on using it on the GR11 next year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All great comments and suggestions above. I carried a Big Agnes UL2 from Hendaye to Gijon in 2013, then mailed it home without ever using it. Very few tent camping opportunities on the Caminos unless you are in a commercial campground -- squeezed in among the campervans. Legal restrictions abound. Where you could pitch a tent in seclusion would likely be far from water. Especially hot water for a shower. My daughter and her husband carried the UL2 from Irun to Bilbao just last week and decided albergues were warmer. In 2017 I slept in one of the albergue-provided tents behind the municipal albergue in Castro-Urdiales. It leaked badly and I shared it with a mouse or other creature that liked the food in my pack. I considered carrying my Big Agnes UL1 on the Via de la Plata in September but did an about face and walked on the delightfully uncrowded Frances instead -- sans tent. My pack and rain gear are now oh so ultralight from Zpacks. If I were to buy a new tent I would save up and consider one of the Zpack tents. (Ka ching!) But, come on, the camaraderie in the albergues really makes the Caminos special for me. Buen Camino

I am looking for a very lightweight tent for upcoming Caminos and/or other pilgrimages.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Budget option is Nature Hike cloud up 1 or 2
when I say budget, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Zpacks etc, heavier but not too much and works well

my real question is “is this for the Spain Camino“ ? If so, why take a tent because organised camping is sporadic and relatively expensive, wild camping isn’t doable really unless extreme stealth is used (in which case you are bivi bag level not tents) and tbh, the hostels are cheap enough with people too.

if in france, buy a tent and use it

just a thought.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Beware of manufacturers weight description. Some do not include the weight of stake, guy lines, fly, stuff sack. I used a Tarptent Rainbow on the Appalachian Trail. Full weight- 2 lbs 4 oz. Single person tent with plenty of room for a backpack and more inside.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Duplex is in theory big enough for 2 but Dixie on the Homemade Wunderlust channel says it has the advantage of being big enough to accommodate her and a backpack with breathing space.
We enjoyed watching Dixie of "Homemade Wanderlust" on the Camino and have since followed many of her long distance hikes in America.
The weight is brought down to about 500g as it has no frame. The support is provided by using your trekking poles.
My son purchased an ultralight tent for the Colorado Trail that used his hiking poles for support. After the first week or two he woke up one morning to find that a chipmunk or other small varmint had chewed and damaged the hand grips on his Leki hiking poles. Apparently they like to snack on the salty sweat from your hands.

Consider ease of setting the tent up each and every night when exhausted after a day's walk .
I currently use a Nature hike 2 up for one or two night walks and really like it . For use over many days I compromise a little extra weight and use a cheap silver dome tent . Two minute set up , rugged floor for rough areas , no pegs required , no need for kid gloves handling , packing or errecting . No wallet injury if torn or lost and they fold into a very pack friendly narrow cylinder shape suitable for side pockets .
My own is nine years old has been used numerous times on long bush walks, no need for repairs , original cost $19 Aus.

agreed! I love them to bits BUT for 3/4 season my Laser Comp 1 will hack it and its lighter and cheaper BUT when I finish building my next hip-belt hiking trolley and weight is not a problem AND I've won the lottery it would be the HILLEBERG AKTO.

Good luck

and buen camino

Samarkand.
Laser comp. for me too for the very light weight 🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I currently use a Nature hike 2 up for one or two night walks and really like it .
I absolutely love my inexpensive Nature Hike sleeping bag for use on the Camino. I didn't realize they also made tents so looked online and see they have several types, of which none break the bank.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
When I'm by myself, I use an llbean microlight one person tent. It weighs about 1 kg (37 oz ) and packs small. They cost about $300 new-- I got mine off eBay for about $50, and resealed the seams.

When I'm with someone I sometimes use a Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 tent. It weighs 1.5 kg (54 oz) when I use my trekking poles for the tent poles. I say sometimes because it is not self standing, it has to be staked out. So it's great for the woods, not so great on a hard surface somewhere.

I also have an Alps 3 person tent (but it's really a two person, plus dog tent), that weighs in at 2.41 kg-- but I use that for car camping mostly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We enjoyed watching Dixie of "Homemade Wanderlust" on the Camino and have since followed many of her long distance hikes in America.

My son purchased an ultralight tent for the Colorado Trail that used his hiking poles for support. After the first week or two he woke up one morning to find that a chipmunk or other small varmint had chewed and damaged the hand grips on his Leki hiking poles. Apparently they like to snack on the salty sweat from your hands.
Personally, though I use rubber foot type pole tips, the hiking pole handle is always on top.protected by the Tent sleeve. But you are correct, all small animals and most of the big ones are always looking for salt.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
I have a vango 100 very light and comfortable for1 sitting up if your quite tall can be difficult and room for your back back can be made between fly sheet and tent can be erected dry in wet weather which is handy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have spent many nights camping (not on the Camino) in my 2-person Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL which is just at 2 pounds. A smaller one-person is obviously lighter, but I like the extra space. Great 3 season tent!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it may have already been said, but the rule of thumb is the lighter the tent, the more it costs. I have a Tarptent Moment which has served me well for several years. Weighs about 950g, easy to set up and plenty of room inside for a fairly large person like me.

I am looking for a 1-2P tent as well, and currently leaning towards the KIKILIVE 2 (and similar). Almost 500g lighter than this UL Tungsten depending on which specs you believe and even cheaper if you go through Ali Express.
I have some serious reservations about this tent, along with some suggestions to make it better, which will make it less likely to be a problem.

The Kikilive appears to be a Chinese knockoff of the 3F ULGear LanShan 2. There are some claims, based only on cited appearance similarities rather than direct inspection, that these are the same tent, only rebranded. I find that the few reviews and comments making those claims have all the earmarking's of 'fake' and paid submissions from interests directly benefitting from sales.

Fake reviews have become well documented as a problematic issue on sites like Amazon; they definitely make it difficult for consumers who are trying to figure out a product's quality with real-world usage

It also seems to me that there are deceitful mentions of the LanShan tent in Q&A and reviews about the Kikilive tent which are designed to create a false association in the minds of buyers.

From the little relevant info in the descriptions of the Kikilive product, there does seem to be some key differences between the two based on what I know and have read about the LanShan. You can find information that I posted earlier this year about the LanShan tent HERE

I will not rule out the possibility that the same factory is producing the same tent design, but under different brand names. My bet would be that IF such is the case, the Kikilive is a corner-cutting version of the LanShan branded model.

In terms of sheer durability and wet-weather resistance, a good comparison to the Kikilive is the TarpTent brand of silnylon tents; TarpTent is the standard-bearer for silnylon tents. An example is the 30d weight fabric instead of the 15d used by the Kikilive, and the double amount of impregnated waterproofing material in the fabric.

Some will argue that the price difference between the TarpTent (I like the MoTrail) and the Kikilive means more money in the pocket, but that is cold comfort at 2 a.m. when wakened by a stormy, wind-driven rain which has left one with a tent floor of water and a wet sleeping bag.

If I were to purchase the Kikilive, at the very least:
  • I would replace the rainfly with one made from at least a 20d fabric and with a better waterproof index rating. Myself, I would save some weight and use a polycro plastic film as a rainfly, replacing the fabric one altogether, which would also eliminate seam sealing issues with the fly.
  • I would always use a footprint/ground sheet under the tent. This plus the better rainfly will add a ew more ounces and some moderate expense but would make the tent a much better product and increase its durability.
  • I would also re-do all seams by painting them over with a liberal amount of seam sealer.
  • I would look at the quality of any included accessories. . guy lines and stakes, etc. These are inexpensive to replace - if needed - with counterparts that are ultralight and durable.
As a Camino tent with modifications, it has promise as a budget tent. As a backpacking tent or for multiple caminos I would view it as a disposable commodity, rather than as a long term piece of gear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have no intention to ever bring a tent on a Camino, but this discussion has made me somewhat obsessed with tents now! I have looked at all the links, compared weights, watched videos of the tents being set up, etc. 😄⛺
@trecile, your interest level and enthusiasm in researching gear is just one of the things (of many) that makes you helpful in the planning process of both long-term forum members and newbies.

A little of topic, but I wonder if that opinion is based on anything more than a gut feeling. Because I'm planning for next year. And I definitely don't want to bring a tent.
Like you, I won’t be camping in my CF next year. You are right that it’s a gut feeling that it will be busy next year but from the limited research I have done it seems that a lot of accommodation which is bookable is already booked.

Personally, I like a busy trail. It’s such a joy to meet new pilgrims along the way.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
from the limited research I have done it seems that a lot of accommodation which is bookable is already booked.
If you are basing that on booking sites like booking.com be aware that many properties don't release their inventory to booking sites this far out. You are probably not getting a true picture of what accommodations will be like next year.

Early on in this discussion, reference was made to a Swedish tentmaker, Hilleberg and the solo ‘Akto’ at 1.7 kgs. I purchased same about six years ago and the first time I used it at 2am at midsummer in Sweden, it was with ease that I put it up. It was not cheap, but National Trust membership accorded a 10 per cent reduction at Cotswold Outdoor (UK chain). It has paid its way many times over in Norway and Sweden - and impressed ‘locals’.

I was in Hamburg last week and spent a pleasant time in the wondrous hikers paradise of Globetrotter where I was delighted to learn that Hilleberg have shaved 500 grammes off the weight of the solo tent ( now 1.2 kgs ) and launched it as a pricier three-season ENAN. Definitely one for my Christmas list!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought this tent and am loving it.
Have taken it on some multi-day hikes.
It packs down very small, weighs under 800 g.

The company is completely out of its tent inventory. In January, they will announce when they will take pre-orders for a May or June 2022 delivery date. Their production facilities are in Vietnam and COVID-19 has played the oft repeated role of disrupting he ability of that facility to obtain materials and limiting the number of workers.

I've used Gossamer Gear's The One tent backpacking last year, 20 oz and sets up with your hiking poles. It's a tent I'd consider bringing on a camino as the weight is so low, but don't forget when camping you'll need an air mattress too which will add to your weight....

The company is completely out of its tent inventory. In January, they will announce when they will take pre-orders for a May or June 2022 delivery date. Their production facilities are in Vietnam and COVID-19 has played the oft repeated role of disrupting he ability of that facility to obtain materials and limiting the number of workers.
Oh dear...shame.

Oh dear...shame.
Cousins of mine bought a double, May possibly be looking to sell it. Used once or twice.
They don't use hiking poles, so find it a pain.
I use hiking poles, so love it.
Let me know, if you want me to ask them about it...

If you are basing that on booking sites like booking.com be aware that many properties don't release their inventory to booking sites this far out. You are probably not getting a true picture of what accommodations will be like next year.
I hadn’t thought about that, so thanks for the idea trecile.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Often true, but when I was in high school I read somewhere, maybe in the Mark Trail comic strip, something like: "Every night you sleep in a tent does not count against your time on earth." I've tried to follow that advice as often as possible -- except on the Camino. I'm a contented 77. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
I think for an occasional camping a tarp would suffice. Or a hammock then. I am happy with Vaude Hogan 4 season tent being used from -15C to +30C, but not on Caminos obviously.

I own both the Zpacks Duplex and the Hilleberg Akto, i've used them extensively in Scotland in all seasons and like them both. I haven't used them on camino but if doing so I would use the Zpacks rather than the Hilleberg. The Hilleberg is better in windy weather but heavier than the Zpacks, and i now usually only use it if i'm doing cycling trips. The Zpacks can get quite condensated in humid/cold weather, as does the Hilleberg but the good thing about the Zpacks is that I can wipe the inside of the tent dry (it's single-walled) before packing the tent up. The Hilleberg gets even heavier when it's wet and it's very unpleasant to put it up still wet at the end of the day, at least the Zpacks i can give it a good dry out with my absorbent cloth.

My favourite YouTuber is John, Hounds of Howgate https://www.youtube.com/c/HoundsofHowgate who has used his Zpacks Duplex extensively, including the Cape Wrath Trail in very harsh conditions.

The biggest downside of the Zpacks for UK folks are the added costs of VAT and import duties. Zpacks as a company were excellent to deal with and i'll definitely carrying my Zpacks rucksack in April on the VdlP but not the tent as I'm walking with a friend and we're budgeting for albergues and private accommodations.

Hope this helps, as another poster remarked, there is lots of advice but at the end of the day down to personal choice!

I own both the Zpacks Duplex and the Hilleberg Akto, i've used them extensively in Scotland in all seasons and like them both. I haven't used them on camino but if doing so I would use the Zpacks rather than the Hilleberg. The Hilleberg is better in windy weather but heavier than the Zpacks, and i now usually only use it if i'm doing cycling trips. The Zpacks can get quite condensated in humid/cold weather, as does the Hilleberg but the good thing about the Zpacks is that I can wipe the inside of the tent dry (it's single-walled) before packing the tent up. The Hilleberg gets even heavier when it's wet and it's very unpleasant to put it up still wet at the end of the day, at least the Zpacks i can give it a good dry out with my absorbent cloth.

My favourite YouTuber is John, Hounds of Howgate https://www.youtube.com/c/HoundsofHowgate who has used his Zpacks Duplex extensively, including the Cape Wrath Trail in very harsh conditions.

The biggest downside of the Zpacks for UK folks are the added costs of VAT and import duties. Zpacks as a company were excellent to deal with and i'll definitely carrying my Zpacks rucksack in April on the VdlP but not the tent as I'm walking with a friend and we're budgeting for albergues and private accommodations.

Hope this helps, as another poster remarked, there is lots of advice but at the end of the day down to personal choice!
The beauty of the Dan Durston tent is, that it is double walled and still only weights 810 grams. It has a vestibule on each side.
I couldn't imagine a better tent for 1 person.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back