• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

looking for partner for the first few days from SJPP mid May 2015

angie T

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk for my 50th birthday mid May 2015, from SJPP , looking for a partner for the first few days
hi there , I have heard so much about the first few days being the brutal part so am kinda nervous and would like a walking partner for the first few days and then see how it goes . would like to leave anytime after May 11th 2015

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Angie, welcome to the forum. If you are leaving from St. Jean there will be many more pilgrims leaving at the same time as you. You will meet them on the train to St Jean, at the Pilgrim Office and in the albergue the night before you leave, you will find others in the same boat as yourself and you will probably walk with some of those for the first few days. You will form a "Camino family" very quickly and walk with the same people on and off the whole way to Santiago.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Hi Angie, welcome to the forum. If you are leaving from St. Jean there will be many more pilgrims leaving at the same time as you. You will meet them on the train to St Jean, at the Pilgrim Office and in the albergue the night before you leave, you will find others in the same boat as yourself and you will probably walk with some of those for the first few days. You will form a "Camino family" very quickly and walk with the same people on and off the whole way to Santiago.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.
thx so much !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Believe me, there is nothing "brutal" about walking the Camino. It's all good. Don't believe the hype.
Also, no need to lock yourself into a walking partner. You will meet plenty of people as you go. That's part of the experience. Some days it's nice to be totally on your own.

Believe me, there is nothing "brutal" about walking the Camino. It's all good. Don't believe the hype.
Also, no need to lock yourself into a walking partner. You will meet plenty of people as you go. That's part of the experience. Some days it's nice to be totally on your own.
thx Mark , I just keep hearing about the first few days , I do want to be alone most of it , just a bit nervous about starting out alone , Im looking to go in mid May 2015 do you think there will be many others around to start ? I just think it will be nice to start with someone. I have hesr it is very safe for a woman alone , whatv do you think ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Much safer than pretty much anywhere as there will be loads of people looking out for each other.
sounds great , when are you going next

thx Mark , I just keep hearing about the first few days , I do want to be alone most of it , just a bit nervous about starting out alone , Im looking to go in mid May 2015 do you think there will be many others around to start ? I just think it will be nice to start with someone. I have hesr it is very safe for a woman alone , whatv do you think ?
Mid-May? Yeah, there will be a lot of pilgrims starting that time of year. I think it's one of the more popular times of year to start. You will have no problem meeting people.
As far as safety goes, I would say it is very safe for a woman travelling alone, and that time of year there are enough peregrinos on the Camino, you are never really by yourself.
That first day out of St. Jean and up and over the Pyrenees is a bit of a mutha, but take your time, pace yourself, hydrate, bring snacks and if need be stop at that place in Orisson and split the trek into a two-day thing. Unless you are on a really tight schedule, you don't have to do 20+ kilometers a day.
It's all good. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mid-May? Yeah, there will be a lot of pilgrims starting that time of year. I think it's one of the more popular times of year to start. You will have no problem meeting people.
As far as safety goes, I would say it is very safe for a woman travelling alone, and that time of year there are enough peregrinos on the Camino, you are never really by yourself.
That first day out of St. Jean and up and over the Pyrenees is a bit of a mutha, but take your time, pace yourself, hydrate, bring snacks and if need be stop at that place in Orisson and split the trek into a two-day thing. Unless you are on a really tight schedule, you don't have to do 20+ kilometers a day.
It's all good. ;)
sounds good , yes I have heard from many to stop in Orisson . thx , when did you say you were going /?

sounds good , yes I have heard from many to stop in Orisson . thx , when did you say you were going /?
Just completed my second Camino last month. It was cool, but like so many things in life, the first go around was the best, ha ha. ;)
I'm sure I'll do it again one day.

Hi Angie,
If you are very anxious about the first few days, I can recommend my friend Nancy Reynolds as a "Camino guide". She takes groups to the Camino, starts out with them, and then after a few days leaves them to do the rest of the Camino at their own pace.

Here's her website: www.thecaminoexperience.com

She's also here on the Forum - you may see her around!

Take care and Buen Camino! Peace to you.
Faith

Hi Angie,
If you are very anxious about the first few days, I can recommend my friend Nancy Reynolds as a "Camino guide". She takes groups to the Camino, starts out with them, and then after a few days leaves them to do the rest of the Camino at their own pace.

Here's her website: www.thecaminoexperience.com

She's also here on the Forum - you may see her around!

Take care and Buen Camino! Peace to you.
Faith
omg! that's great thx

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi there , I have heard so much about the first few days being the brutal part so am kinda nervous and would like a walking partner for the first few days and then see how it goes . would like to leave anytime after May 11th 2015
Hello Angie !

I'll be walking pretty close to when you're planning. Right now I'm making tentative plans to leave YVR either May 8th or May 9th. I'd prefer to start walking on the 10th (Mothers's Day) but that will really depend on if I end up flying into London or Paris and if I decide to spend a rest day in SJPDP. Its a shame to just breeze through the starting point without at least a good glance at it.

I'm a little nervous myself about the first few days and have decided to take the advice of many forum members and break up the first week into smaller walks until I build a bit of stamina and confidence. My first few days look like this : SJPDP-Orisson-Roncesvalles-Zubiri-Pamplona-Puente la Reina. I'm almost certain I won't be able to keep the suggested 33 days or so, and have built in an extra 6 walking days just in case plus 5 to get to Finisterre & Muxia. If I finish early, I'll spend an extra day in SJPDP and a few days beachside in and around Hendaye, Irun, Bayonne. The pics look inviting :)

Keep in touch.. I'll more than likely fly Air Canada and if I don't go direct to London, then Toronto or Montreal is my first stop. It would be fun to brainstorm!

Buen Camino,
Cari

thx Mark , I just keep hearing about the first few days , I do want to be alone most of it , just a bit nervous about starting out alone , Im looking to go in mid May 2015 do you think there will be many others around to start ? I just think it will be nice to start with someone.
Unless you hope to hire a sherpa or personal trainer to get you through the first days, you do not need a paid companion.:)

In May 2013 there were 9,060 pilgrims leaving SJPdP, so you will have an average of 300 possible unpaid companions for the start. Most of them are facing the same thing you are facing, and will be quite helpful with everything except carrying you or your pack.;) For that you will need to pay someone. The baggage transport companies also carry people if you need it, and will only cost you 10-20E.

Buen camino.

Hello Angie !

I'll be walking pretty close to when you're planning. Right now I'm making tentative plans to leave YVR either May 8th or May 9th. I'd prefer to start walking on the 10th (Mothers's Day) but that will really depend on if I end up flying into London or Paris and if I decide to spend a rest day in SJPDP. Its a shame to just breeze through the starting point without at least a good glance at it.

I'm a little nervous myself about the first few days and have decided to take the advice of many forum members and break up the first week into smaller walks until I build a bit of stamina and confidence. My first few days look like this : SJPDP-Orisson-Roncesvalles-Zubiri-Pamplona-Puente la Reina. I'm almost certain I won't be able to keep the suggested 33 days or so, and have built in an extra 6 walking days just in case plus 5 to get to Finisterre & Muxia. If I finish early, I'll spend an extra day in SJPDP and a few days beachside in and around Hendaye, Irun, Bayonne. The pics look inviting :)

Keep in touch.. I'll more than likely fly Air Canada and if I don't go direct to London, then Toronto or Montreal is my first stop. It would be fun to brainstorm!

Buen Camino,
Cari

Buen Camino, Cari! Your plan sounds like a good one with all the days built in. Most pilgrims we've met here do SJPDP to Santiago in 30-40 days, so really, your "extra" days just fall in the normal range :). If you want to spend time at the beach and have time before you have to get back to SJPDP/ Bayonne, the western coast of Galicia (Finisterre, Muxia, La Coruna, Vigo) all have beautiful beaches, too.

Enjoy all the planning and take care!
Faith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unless you hope to hire a sherpa or personal trainer to get you through the first days, you do not need a paid companion.:)

In May 2013 there were 9,060 pilgrims leaving SJPdP, so you will have an average of 300 possible unpaid companions for the start. Most of them are facing the same thing you are facing, and will be quite helpful with everything except carrying you or your pack.;) For that you will need to pay someone. The baggage transport companies also carry people if you need it, and will only cost you 10-20E.

Buen camino.
Yeah, ditto to that.
You really, really do not need to hire a personal guide to walk the Camino. No offense to the paid personal guides out there.
Basically all you need to do is walk out the albergue/hostel/pension house/hotel in the morning and start following the yellow arrows or the shell symbols. A good guidebook is all you need to assist you in that and is a lot cheaper than hiring a human.
It's as easy as........walking.
:cool:

Hello Angie !

Buen Camino,
Cari
hi there , I was going to do the exact same walk at the start ! I would love to plan on meeting and walking that part together , then we can go off on our own if we feel like it , I was going to flight to Paris Direct and take the train to SPJJ , or do Madrid and bus to Pamplona and taxi to SPJJ , still not sure . all flight are very cheap right now so I would like to book soon. good idea to start walking on Mother's Day , if you want to walk with me lets talk about making plans , think about it , maybe we can Skype ?

I have been watching and reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post and it seems to be at a very appropriate time because I might be your girl Angie... or one of them anyway with Cari T. I plan to do the Camino next year in May and like you are "kinda nervous" about the first few days. Hope we can keep in touch. Michelle

I have been watching and reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post and it seems to be at a very appropriate time because I might be your girl Angie... or one of them anyway with Cari T. I plan to do the Camino next year in May and like you are "kinda nervous" about the first few days. Hope we can keep in touch. Michelle
wow! this site is great I have already met a few women in one day , I just got on yesterday .you sound perfect for me , and you drink vino!,

wow! this site is great I have already met a few women in one day , I just got on yesterday .you sound perfect for me , and you drink vino!,
Fingers crossed... I have just sent you a personal message/conversation using this forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Angie,
I plan on doing my first camino next year but I do have experience hiking.
My suggestion is to find someone there who matches your style of hiking. Talk to people as you go to start off. Watch their pace.
You don't want to pair up with someone who is much faster/slower than you. Hiking is like tennis, you need someone at your skill level or it ruins the game.
Pleasant conversation skills also help. Don't pair up with someone who may have forgotten their anti-psychtic meds. They may incite you to run away from them and you can twist an ankle. ;-)
Small talk helps you forget how heavy your backpack is starting to feel.
Prepare as best you can. Take the start of your Camino like diving into a pool, you know the water is cold but your body gets acclimated right away.
Enjoy
Buen Camino
rg

Angie,
My suggestion is to find someone there who matches your style of hiking. Talk to people as you go to start off. Watch their pace.
You don't want to pair up with someone who is much faster/slower than you. Hiking is like tennis, you need someone at your skill level or it ruins the game.
Pleasant conversation skills also help. Don't pair up with someone who may have forgotten their anti-psychtic meds. They may incite you to run away from them and you can twist an ankle. ;-)
Prepare as best you can. Take the start of your Camino like diving into a pool, you know the water is cold but your body gets acclimated right away.
Enjoy
Buen Camino
rg
thx sounds good , I cycle tons and am in good shape , I more afraid of being alone then the walk , I don't like barking dogs or bed bugs lol ,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Angie,
Enjoy
Buen Camino
rg
when are you going , I think ill be in sjpp on may 11th

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back