• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for "pre-Christian" Camino books

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Yes, I know that the term "pre-Christian Camino books" is not really accurate for what I am looking for, but I couldn't find anything else that was short enough and said roughly what I want ;-)

I am looking for book recommendations that cover the following points:

Academic / scientific books about a, possible, pre-Christian (Pagan) pilgrimage in the area of the nowadays Camino de Santiago. No novels please, but reliable websites, like from Universities / Confraternities ect are also fine. I am mostly looking for things related to archaeology, but other disciplines are also great.

Thanks for your help, SY

PS If I didn't express myself very clearly, feel free to ask!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
Way back in 2006 there was a thread on this topic:- pilgrim-books/topic885.html
However it did not throw up any books other than those by Dr. Georgiana King. She was an expert on architecture and on that subject was excellent. However, her forays into the more esoteric background to the Camino do not seem to be authenticated by other authorities! I have asked on a number of occasions "Where is the record of there being a 'Pagan Camino' predating the discovery of the tomb of St. James?". As in this thread:- miscellaneous-topics/topic19101.html
So far I have had no reply, and I can only presume that there is no written record. I expect anything would have been in Latin, as Celtic , as far as I am aware, was not a written language.
I am at present doing some reading and research (for my own 'entertainment' :shock: ) on Priscillian, Bishop of Avila. So far I have not come across any reference to a "Celtic shrine" or "Pilgrim Route" in Galicia before the record of "pilgrimages made to the Shrine of the Martyrs of Trier" in the 5thC. Maybe there is something squirreled away in the Vatican archives or elsewhere. If so it will be under wraps in case it detracts from the shrine of Santiago.
If you have not read the three books on "The Way of Saint James" by Dr King, I found them on the web. If you cannot find them please send me a PM.
If you turn anything up, Please let me know. :)

Blessings
Terry

Thanks a lot Terry! Especially the 2006 thread looks promising, but it will take me a bit until I read everything and followed every link ;-)

Again, muchismas gracias! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would look at University papers at the nearest Uni to possible sites of pilgrimage. The 'possible/fabled' Camino de las Estrellas is said to pass thru Santiago, Toulouse (ND de Dalbade) Orleans, Chartres, Paris, Amiens & Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh. Those Unis are likely to have papers squirrelled away. Unfortunately most organised religions have times when they have destroyed the evidence/icons/writings of other belief systems (this continues in the present day!) So it is hard to find primary evidence. I doubt there are many writings by Cathars for instance. It seems the idea that there were initiatory pilgrimages in pre-Christian times has to be gleaned from rather thin sources. There is a Sufi poem that describes such called The Colloquy of the Birds. I have read many references to different 'Gospels', Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi sources, but do not have the time/resources to track down the originals.
It is a subject that much interests me - but as I cannot spend my entire life reading (a few hours a day is all I get away with!) I have to just believe what rings true in my heart. I also am quite happy to have my own beliefs and do not want/expect others to join in ( except my husband, who gets dragged along too) So we did undertake the Camino de las Estrellas, starting at Sintra and ending at Rosslyn where we left one of our scallop shells on the Lady Altar as pilgrims have done for centuries...
Good luck in your research, please keep us posted on anything you turn up.

There is a copy of the Nag Hammadi Library on my bookshelves but it does not contain anything on Galicia / Spain. I would not expect it to as the authors were concerned with early Christian belief in the eastern mediterranean.
The first text which mentions St. James' preaching in Spain is the Breviarius de Hyerosolima, a 6th-century document (my emphasis) which stated that the Apostle was buried in an enigmatical place called Aca Marmarica. (From Wikipedia!!!)
The earliest writer I have found is Sulpicius Severus at the beginning of the 5th Century. He says that "oaths were solemnly sworn at Priscillian's shrine" (Chronicles ii. 51. 5 - 8). Chadwick says that "it appears to have been somewhere in Galicia" (Priscillian p.150). This at least implies that there were "pilgrimages" to a shrine in Galicia as early as 390 - 400 AD. Chadwick also comments that "Compostela is in the right region for his (Priscillian's) shrine". (Priscillian p.233)

I was told when writing essays etc. "Always give a reference". I have a feeling that the Pre-christian / Pagan pilgrimage route is on a par with the Glastonbury legends about Joseph of Arimathea and his nephew Jesus. Some folk memories from the past of Glastonbury being one of the oldest Christian sites in the British Isles. Nothing written down, just oral / bardic stories with an element of truth.
However, I will keep researching and see if anything turns up.

blessings
Terry

The books by Dr. Georgiana King are here:-

http://archive.org/details/wayofsaintjames01kinguoft
http://archive.org/details/wayofsaintjames02kinguoft
http://archive.org/details/wayofsaintjames03kinguoft

Unfortunately, I think most of her 'ancient material' is taken from Aymeric Picaud writing in the 12th-century. He is usually taken as the author / editor of the famous (or infamous!) Codex Calixtinus.
She also quotes from the Chronicle of Turpin again most probably 12th Century.
Nothing there with traceable references to pagan / prehistoric facts.
As Wikipedia says "Citation needed"

Blessings
Terry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back