• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for recommendation for a place to stay in Santiago with child

Mgardener

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2017
Hi,
We're leaving next Thursday to start our Camino from Astorga. I haven't booked anything for along the way, apart from our first night in Leon. Is it necessary or advisable to book ahead in Santiago de Compostela? I estimated it may take 10 or 11 days to get to Santiago but i have no idea when exactly we will arrive.. Is it generally much more expensive to stay anywhere? I would be grateful for any suggestions or advice, thanks.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You should reserve at the Pilgrim rate at San Martin Pinario if you want to stay there. Otherwise, you probably can just use booking.com, or other app, to find a room when you get there. It is unlikely that hotel rooms will be sold out, but San Martin may.

You should reserve at the Pilgrim rate at San Martin Pinario if you want to stay there. Otherwise, you probably can just use booking.com, or other app, to find a room when you get there. It is unlikely that hotel rooms will be sold out, but San Martin may.
Thanks very much. I just checked for one night 11 days after we start and it's already booked out. I see its about €75 a night, and same for other hostels also. Is that average as to what to expect? If you book last minute will prices have gone up a lot?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take into consideration that 12th of October is a national holiday or Dia de la Hispanidad so many Spaniards will have a day off or make a long weekend.
Therefore higher hotel prices are a possibility.

Thanks very much. I just checked for one night 11 days after we start and it's already booked out. I see its about €75 a night, and same for other hostels also. Is that average as to what to expect? If you book last minute will prices have gone up a lot?

You cannot book the "albergue floor" in San Martin Pinario online. You must email them directly. They have a website with an email address and you can write in English. But, as Sabine points out, Thursday, Oct. 12 is a national holiday. Spaniards are very good at turning a mid-week holiday into what they call a "puente" (a bridge to extend the holiday through the weekend). And in fact, the hotel part of San Martin Pinario is totally booked for that entire week. If you are more interested in ease than in saving time, I would just book someplace on booking. However, there are many little pensiones that don´t use those websites and are very likely to have rooms. I walked into Santiago in July this year with a woman who had no reservation and she easily found a very acceptable very cheap room at Pension San Roque. It's a family run place, basic but clean. I would email them directly if you are interested. http://pensionsanroque.com/

Good luck with the planning, but more importantly have a wonderful walk with your son! Laurie

Screenshot 2017-09-21 16.09.16.png

Take into consideration that 12th of October is a national holiday or Dia de la Hispanidad so many Spaniards will have a day off or make a long weekend.
Therefore higher hotel prices are a possibility.
Thanks that's very good to know!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Arrived in Santiago on Mon, 18/09/17, and left on 20/09/16. Plenty of accommodation options and Albergue Linares, where I was, had availability. I was the only 1 in a 6 bed dorm on the 2nd night. The public holiday should be noted but I think the number of pilgrims arriving is declining as the peak season passes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You cannot book the "albergue floor" in San Martin Pinario online. You must email them directly. They have a website with an email address and you can write in English. But, as Sabine points out, Thursday, Oct. 12 is a national holiday. Spaniards are very good at turning a mid-week holiday into what they call a "puente" (a bridge to extend the holiday through the weekend). And in fact, the hotel part of San Martin Pinario is totally booked for that entire week. If you are more interested in ease than in saving time, I would just book someplace on booking. However, there are many little pensiones that don´t use those websites and are very likely to have rooms. I walked into Santiago in July this year with a woman who had no reservation and she easily found a very acceptable very cheap room at Pension San Roque. It's a family run place, basic but clean. I would email them directly if you are interested. http://pensionsanroque.com/

Good luck with the planning, but more importantly have a wonderful walk with your son! Laurie

View attachment 36356
Thanks Laurie, i really appreciate it. I think we would have enough time to walk on to Finisterre but i'm still undecided whether to stay a few days in Santiago first and then to Finisterre from where we would take the bus to the airport as our flight would be in the afternoon on the 17th pf October. Or, walk on to Finisterre straight away and spent our last days in Santiago..It's hard to know what to do having no idea how things will be!Thanks for suggestion of Pension San Roque, i will check it out.

Arrived in Santiago on Mon, 18/09/17, and left on 20/09/16. Plenty of accommodation options and Albergue Linares, where I was, had availability. I was the only 1 in a 6 bed dorm on the 2nd night. The public holiday should be noted but I think the number of pilgrims arriving is declining as the peak season passes.
That's reassuring thank you. Would the average price for a dorm be the same as in other towns or can i expect to pay a lot more, even for a dorm?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's reassuring thank you. Would the average price for a dorm be the same as in other towns or can i expect to pay a lot more, even for a dorm?

Hi, I found that prices increase the closer you get to Santiago. I paid €5 at the municipal Albergue in Astorga, €6 at Villafranca del Bierzo and €10 each at Sarria and Arzua. It costs €22 a night at Albergue Linares in Santiago but facilities are good including towel, linen and coffee/tea. I cycled, hence, I stayed only at major towns. Not sure how old is your child but I can recommend Albergue The Way Hostel in Arzua. Casa Peltre in Sarria is also good but both are 10 - 15 bed dorms. Albergue The Last Stamp in Santiago is very popular and is cheaper than Albergue Linares but has 10 bed dorms.

• Hostel
  • Services
  • Gallery
  • FAQs
  • Groups
  • Contact
semg1.jpg
semg3.jpg

The Minor Seminary hostel is 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It’s in front of the Belvis Park, which offers wonderful views of the old town of Santiago.

The hostel offers private single rooms and single beds in mixed rooms. All the rooms share mixed bathrooms.

Guests can prepare meals in one of the common rooms, which has a microwave, electric ovens and cookware. There are vending machines for drinks and snacks.

The hostel offers luggage lockers and self-service laundry.

The Minor Seminary hostel is located in Avda. Quiroga Palacios s/n, 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago, 5 minutes from the food market Abastos, 1 minute from the Park of Santo Domingo de Bonaval and has amazing views of all the city and the Cathedral.

If you reach Santiago by the French Way you will see the detour to the hostel when you pass through the Rúa de San Pedro.

Albergue Fin del Camino is 9 euros if you're wanting a cheaper place. Over 100 beds in rooms of ten - they spread people out across all the dorms. Can book if you want. Good facilities. Clean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
  • Hostel
  • Services
  • Gallery
  • FAQs
  • Groups
  • Contact
semg1.jpg
semg3.jpg

The Minor Seminary hostel is 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It’s in front of the Belvis Park, which offers wonderful views of the old town of Santiago.

The hostel offers private single rooms and single beds in mixed rooms. All the rooms share mixed bathrooms.

Guests can prepare meals in one of the common rooms, which has a microwave, electric ovens and cookware. There are vending machines for drinks and snacks.

The hostel offers luggage lockers and self-service laundry.

The Minor Seminary hostel is located in Avda. Quiroga Palacios s/n, 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago, 5 minutes from the food market Abastos, 1 minute from the Park of Santo Domingo de Bonaval and has amazing views of all the city and the Cathedral.

If you reach Santiago by the French Way you will see the detour to the hostel when you pass through the Rúa de San Pedro.
Thanks very much for the suggestion, it looks huge but sounds good, great location etc.

Hi, I found that prices increase the closer you get to Santiago. I paid €5 at the municipal Albergue in Astorga, €6 at Villafranca del Bierzo and €10 each at Sarria and Arzua. It costs €22 a night at Albergue Linares in Santiago but facilities are good including towel, linen and coffee/tea. I cycled, hence, I stayed only at major towns. Not sure how old is your child but I can recommend Albergue The Way Hostel in Arzua. Casa Peltre in Sarria is also good but both are 10 - 15 bed dorms. Albergue The Last Stamp in Santiago is very popular and is cheaper than Albergue Linares but has 10 bed dorms.
Thanks for all the info. My son is 10..I plan to stay in albergues but would look out for quiet, smaller places if possible and if i get the impression people stay up late and party for example i would try and stay some place else. A private room if needs be..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergue Fin del Camino is 9 euros if you're wanting a cheaper place. Over 100 beds in rooms of ten - they spread people out across all the dorms. Can book if you want. Good facilities. Clean.
HI, Rachael, i see you walked from Astorga one time, with your children i presume? We will be doing the same.. leaving on Thursday! How long did it take you to walk to Santiago, and onto Finisterre? Any suggestions you may have regarding walking with children on this particular part of the Camino? I read somewhere you all walked in sandals and we're thinking of doing the same (in KEEN newport H2), would you say that is a good idea at this time of year? My son is very comfortable in them and his hiking shoes got lost recently so it's a bit late now to start looking for an alternative...!

@Mgardener
If your son has sandals he's comfy in, then you have found his perfect shoe! Don't change anything.
I'm not going to tell you how long we took (partly because I've forgotten and find it fiddly to search my blog on a phone) but also because you will walk at *your* pace doing distances that *you* find comfortable. See how you go and if you don't make it to Finisterre this time (and we didn't the first time), it will still be there waiting if you want to come back.
Can I suggest you search on the forum for "children"? There have been quite a few threads recently and you'll be able to glean lots of info from lots of people.
But mostly, relax and enjoy your walk!

@Mgardener
If your son has sandals he's comfy in, then you have found his perfect shoe! Don't change anything.
I'm not going to tell you how long we took (partly because I've forgotten and find it fiddly to search my blog on a phone) but also because you will walk at *your* pace doing distances that *you* find comfortable. See how you go and if you don't make it to Finisterre this time (and we didn't the first time), it will still be there waiting if you want to come back.
Can I suggest you search on the forum for "children"? There have been quite a few threads recently and you'll be able to glean lots of info from lots of people.
But mostly, relax and enjoy your walk!
Thanks Rachael, i appreciate it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back