• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for room recommendations - Camino Frances

scn

We're heading back to the Camino Frances this spring (2016) and planning on spending some nights in private rooms at hostels, casa rurals, pensions and hotels. If you have any positive recommendations for private rooms, please let me known, along with your comments. We are especially interested in private rooms in alberques.

Also, below is a link to the spreadsheet I started of recommended lodging with private rooms, based on our previous experiences and recommendations of other pilgrims. It has over 100 places, so I thought I would share it for anyone who is interested.

Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PhvLXpG1Lec7iBXBES1vUBbZRzX77JIaVRNjFRbf3Uo/pubhtml

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like clearskies I, too, choose pilgrim albergues. The handy www.Gronze.com list in Spanish offers both. Cited east to west by location the albergues are printed in brown ink and the regular tourist accommodation in black. Booking.com links are also provided. Tap each citation for further info.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know many prefer private accommodations, but I found the Albergues to be be the nectar of the Camino experiece. Some will laugh at this, based on just what that experience was ;). I was ill on much of my walk, so did stay at pensions a couple of times...found it a tad lonely. The communal meals were my favourite times at the Albergues.

Don't blame y'all. Albergues are cool to stay in, but it's nice to take a break from communal living while walking the Camino. On all three CF's I think I used private accommodations about 20% of the time.
My favorite pensiones was the one in Sarria at the top of those steps. Pension Escalinata. Rooms were basic and clean with shared bathroom and you could go downstairs and get a cold beer and meal at the bar. The bar got packed that night. Happening place.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My favorite pensiones was the one in Sarria at the top of those steps. Pension Escalinata. Rooms were basic and clean with shared bathroom and you could go downstairs and get a cold beer and meal at the bar.

I stayed there during my Camino last year, and they were life saving angels for me. My husband had a heat stroke on that day, so I ran to a hotel in Sarria (which was fully booked) and they helped me call all places in Sarria to find a private room so he could rest and have lots of water. The owner of Escalinata not only allowed us to check in immediately but also gave us heaps of cold mineral water and sandwiches so he could recover. And breakfast next day was included in the room fee!

Lovely people, simple and clean place. Would certainly reccommend.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed there during my Camino last year, and they were life saving angels for me. My husband had a heat stroke on that day, so I ran to a hotel in Sarria (which was fully booked) and they helped me call all places in Sarria to find a private room so he could rest and have lots of water. The owner of Escalinata not only allowed us to check in immediately but also gave us heaps of cold mineral water and sandwiches so he could recover. And breakfast next day was included in the room fee!

Lovely people, simple and clean place. Would certainly reccommend.
Nice Camino story. Yes, the owner seemed like a really cool guy. He was also tending the bar and working the grill.

Don't blame y'all. Albergues are cool to stay in, but it's nice to take a break from communal living while walking the Camino. On all three CF's I think I used private accommodations about 20% of the time.
My favorite pensiones was the one in Sarria at the top of those steps. Pension Escalinata. Rooms were basic and clean with shared bathroom and you could go downstairs and get a cold beer and meal at the bar. The bar got packed that night. Happening place.
Thanks for your recommendation Mark - well put...albergues are cool, but its nice to take a break...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi SCN !!!! last September we walked Leon-Santiago, slept in albergues in private and communal rooms. There is a EDITORIAL BUEN CAMINO GUIDE, that has the albergues rated and tells you if they have private accommodations. It worked great for us, hope it helps you !!!! :) Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi SCN !!!! last September we walked Leon-Santiago, slept in albergues in private and communal rooms. There is a EDITORIAL BUEN CAMINO GUIDE, that has the albergues rated and tells you if they have private accommodations. It worked great for us, hope it helps you !!!! :) Buen Camino
Thanks for the resource!

We're heading back to the Camino Frances this spring (2016) and planning on spending some nights in private rooms at hostels, casa rurals, pensions and hotels. If you have any positive recommendations for private rooms, please let me known, along with your comments. We are especially interested in private rooms in alberques.

Also, below is a link to the spreadsheet I started of recommended lodging with private rooms, based on our previous experiences and recommendations of other pilgrims. It has over 100 places, so I thought I would share it for anyone who is interested.

Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PhvLXpG1Lec7iBXBES1vUBbZRzX77JIaVRNjFRbf3Uo/pubhtml
Thanks for this fabulous list!!! How does one secure reservations with some of your places? Walking in June. Will share what we learn too. sandyojo

Albergues are an important often enjoyable part of any Camino experience. Once in a while, just ever so often, even a die hard pilgrim might wish to pass a quiet evening, might wish to be in bed after 2200, may enjoy not being awakened by someone(s) stumble-thumping between the beds towards the toilets at 0300, may think that another 0500 wakeup call of rustling plastic bags and flashing headlamps is the proverbial straw. A simple solution to stay in the albergues is to ask if they have a private room. Most problems quickly resolved. Burgos and Leon are both cities which deserve much more that a perfunctory walkabout before trotting on down the Camino - a day or two sightseeing might even be enjoyable. Occasionally, even a diehard pilgrim might enjoy a bath, to wake up at - gasp(!) - 0830, or to enjoy a meal that doesn't start with the words "Pilgrims Menu". Keep all options always open and the world will not stop turning. In Burgos, the hotel Norte y Londres is a lovely option; in Leon Hostal Boccolino opposite San Isodoro is lovely and Guzman el Bueno will work. Stayed wih my non-pilgriming sister at the Guadi in Astorga and was not impressed, good enough but lacking somehow. Gaudi once offered an inexpensive dinner in their marvelous dining room with a voucher from the San Javier albergue, they may still do. Again the room was magnificant - the food, less so. Be ready for anything and anything mmight happen!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If in Villafranca del Bierzo you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local Bierzo wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon. Located on the CF opposite the castle it is a VERY comfortable stop especially on a cold early winter night.

Oh do I remember those steps:rolleyes:

Oh do I remember those steps:rolleyes:
You can actually go around them, to the right, but it's a longer way. Just like in Portomarin, the nicest thing about those steps is that if you are staying there for the night, you're basically finished walking for the day when you reach the steps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back