• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for someone to walk alongside.

kim in cornwall

Time of past OR future Camino
Novice, plan to walk from porto in September.
Walking Portuguese Camino, walking partner left me in Redondela. Are there any lone females who wouldn't mind a quiet companion?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry I can't oblige, Kim. Is there no sign of anyone else on the road? Tag along, surely someone will make space for you in the pack... Just keep checking in here, maybe say something about your day - that will help take away part of the feeling alone.

Sorry I can't oblige, Kim. Is there no sign of anyone else on the road? Tag along, surely someone will make space for you in the pack... Just keep checking in here, maybe say something about your day - that will help take away part of the feeling alone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ll be very curious to learn if you find someone. I want to walk mid-August and none of my friends are interested. I really don’t want to walk alone.

I started my last Camino on my own. The first day was the only day I walked on my own, even then I had company on and off. That evening I dined with new friends and although these friends change from time to time I never walked on my own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If not walking totally alone is important to you, I recommend assessing folks at your accommodations or place of eating, in the evening when you may be socializing. Approach someone your "sixth sense" tells you is 'safe,' and find out what time they plan to leave in the morning.

Middle aged couples, and other small groups of women are usually the best for this sort of thing, but I do not suggest limiting yourself. Rely on your intuition. You KNOW how to make this assessment. I often say yes to women who ask me if they might tag along. At 65 and somewhat garrulous and inverterently helpful, I am perceived as a safe walking companion... Go figure... Anyway...

Ask if they mind a 'tag along' the next day. I have only VERY rarely met a pilgrim who stated they would rather be left in silence. I always respect this. I have asked to tag along myself, especially if I happen to be having potential health issues at that moment.

Then, plan your morning getaway so as to not hinder the others. If they say they will likely leave at 0700. Be ready at 0645, etc. Do not be 'clingy.' Just amble along close(ish) to these folks, chatting etc, as is indicated. You can also do this as you are starting off in the morning. Spot someone the evening before, speak to them at breakfast, or whatever, and ask to just tag along.

Tagging along does NOT mean you have to be Best Friends Forever (BFFs). It just means you have met these folks, exchanged basic information and are keeping them within hailing distance.

This is also a sound, basic safety thing for solo females. The Camino is VERY safe for all. But, being within eyesight of other pilgrims is often very reassuring, especially to a first-timer.

This all said, everytime I make this recommendation, there are some out there in Forum-land who chide me stating they always walk alone. They are usually inferring a criticism of those who do not wish to, as well as to me for even suggesting that there are others, particularly women who might desire a walking companion.

My answer is ALWAYS the same. No two pilgrims are alike. Someone with a lot of Camino or distance hiking experience will have more confidence than a newbie.

Above all, remember RULE ONE... It is YOUR Camino. No one else has the standing or right to tell you what is right or wrong. I wish you a happy and productive Camino.

Hope this helps.

If not walking totally alone is important to you, I recommend assessing folks at your accommodations or place of eating, in the evening when you may be socializing. Approach someone your "sixth sense" tells you is 'safe,' and find out what time they plan to leave in the morning.

Middle aged couples, and other small groups of women are usually the best for this sort of thing, but I do not suggest limiting yourself. Rely on your intuition. You KNOW how to make this assessment. I often say yes to women who ask me if they might tag along. At 65 and somewhat garrulous and inverterently helpful, I am perceived as a safe walking companion... Go figure... Anyway...

Ask if they mind a 'tag along' the next day. I have only VERY rarely met a pilgrim who stated they would rather be left in silence. I always respect this. I have asked to tag along myself, especially if I happen to be having potential health issues at that moment.

Then, plan your morning getaway so as to not hinder the others. If they say they will likely leave at 0700. Be ready at 0645, etc. Do not be 'clingy.' Just amble along close(ish) to these folks, chatting etc, as is indicated. You can also do this as you are starting off in the morning. Spot someone the evening before, speak to them at breakfast, or whatever, and ask to just tag along.

Tagging along does NOT mean you have to be Best Friends Forever (BFFs). It just means you have met these folks, exchanged basic information and are keeping them within hailing distance.

This is also a sound, basic safety thing for solo females. The Camino is VERY safe for all. But, being within eyesight of other pilgrims is often very reassuring, especially to a first-timer.

This all said, everytime I make this recommendation, there are some out there in Forum-land who chide me stating they always walk alone. They are usually inferring a criticism of those who do not wish to, as well as to me for even suggesting that there are others, particularly women who might desire a walking companion.

My answer is ALWAYS the same. No two pilgrims are alike. Someone with a lot of Camino or distance hiking experience will have more confidence than a newbie.

Above all, remember RULE ONE... It is YOUR Camino. No one else has the standing or right to tell you what is right or wrong. I wish you a happy and productive Camino.

Hope this helps.
I walked on my own last year and it was all good I must say it is nice to see pilgrims up ahead or following along behind
My own concern would be getting lost
But I really enjoy the head space I get from walking alone

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all so much. As I happened I walked most of the day alone, just very brief encounters with other pilgrims. T2Andreo your advice was very comforting, as a woman of certain age I am reluctant to impose my company o
I walked on my own last year and it was all good I must say it is nice to see pilgrims up ahead or following along behind
My own concern would be getting lost
But I really enjoy the head space I get from walking alone

Yes that is what I have discovered today, and am feeling very good about it, thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back