• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for stores in Santiago to purchase cookbook and St. James cross for Santiago cake

motero99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portugues (2023)
Looking for stores in Santiago de Compostela to purchase a cookbook and a St. James cross for baking the Santiago cake.
In 2019 when I looked for a cook book, the tourist office sent me to a book store that no longer existed. This time I would like to know in advance where I might find a cookbook with Camino recipes and also get the St. James cross you use to create the design on a Santiago cake. I have been using a paper stencil I found on the forum a few years ago, but it would be nice to have one made out of something sturdier than paper.
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking for stores in Santiago de Compostela to purchase a cookbook and a St. James cross for baking the Santiago cake.
In 2019 when I looked for a cook book, the tourist office sent me to a book store that no longer existed. This time I would like to know in advance where I might find a cookbook with Camino recipes and also get the St. James cross you use to create the design on a Santiago cake. I have been using a paper stencil I found on the forum a few years ago, but it would be nice to have one made out of something sturdier than paper.
Thank you
It is very easy to find a recipe online. Depending on where you live almond flour might be hard to find.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a hardware store on Plaza de Galicia that might have the metal cross.. the book at the bookstore on rua de Vilar
In the hardware store / ferreteria on Plaza de Galicia, go downstairs to the kitchen and bath hardware section. The stainless steel cross of Santiago is hanging in a blister pack on a peg somewhere either on a wall or on the pillar. I think there is a large and smaller one in a set.

I regularly buy them as gifts for people who bake - so they can bake for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thank you
I bought a plastic cross template at a souvenir store at the market above the city. It has a little handle protruding at the back so that you can easily lift it off the cake.

Attachments

• 16496039893197235078975792096659.jpg
    16496039893197235078975792096659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you
Thank you! I was trying to figure out a gift for a non-religious friend who is helping with my dog while I am on Camino. A cook book is a perfect idea for her

Thank you to all the responses, now I have 2 more things to look forward to when I reach SdC! Camino cookbook and stencil cross!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also bought a Camino tile to use as a trivet under hot dishes. Not too big to pack in my pack for home.
View attachment 122408
This is dangerous. I can see my luggage will double or triple in size with Camino memorabilia. 🙈

PS: when I almost finished a pilgrimage walk in the UK, I bought a very nice bottle of hand wash (was locally made, organic, smells so good, sold in cute coffee shop by the beach in the middle of nowhere!) and carried the extra 0.5kg weight in my pack for the last 15 miles. I’m a terrible shopper!

I bought a plastic cross template at a souvenir store at the market above the city. It has a little handle protruding at the back so that you can easily lift it off the cake.
My stencil is the same and came from a gift shop on Rua do Vilar, might be No 9, not far from the plaza. The little handle can be taken out so that it packs flat. Being plastic it doesn't trigger alarms when pack goes through a scanner. 😀

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Any other recommendations for gift shops in Santiago that offer more interesting merchandise than the average tourist shop?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a beautiful glazed ceramic wall cross that I use all the time to make Santiago cake for the students in my course. It brings me joy to see it on my wall and to take down to use as a stencil. Better than throwing the metal stencil in a drawer to take up space!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.35.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.35.05 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
I bought a beautiful glazed ceramic wall cross that I use all the time to make Santiago cake for the students in my course. It brings me joy to see it on my wall and to take down to use as a stencil. Better than throwing the metal stencil in a drawer to take up space!
Do you remember where you bought this by any chance?

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back