• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for suggestions on a 8 day walk

joebshuck

Time of past OR future Camino
OCTOBER 2016
So I'm going to do a partial Camino in October. I only have about 8 days of walking to do. My initial plan was to start in St Jean and in 2 days get to Pamplona then bus to O'Cebreiro and finish from there to Santiago for the last 6 days of walking. I want to at least do the first day of walking from St Jean since I have heard it is the toughest. Take in mind that I am a experienced backpacker, I am a triathlete, a mailman that walks a 12 mile mail route everyday, and have already completed 2 Ironman triathlons this year. So I am capable of putting in a good amount of miles. My other plan is to go from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day then transport to somewhere before O'Cebreiro and do a longer stretch and maybe possible gain a small walking family that way. Give me any suggestions also as to where i should start and end exactly and how many miles that you believe I may be capable of. Please give me any experienced suggestions. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Ingles comes to my mind with a possible Finisterre/Muxia extension if you are too fast.

Just one food for thought ... It is a pilgrimage, not a sportive event.

Buen Camino, SY

Camino Ingles comes to my mind with a possible Finisterre/Muxia extension if you are too fast.

Just one food for thought ... It is a pilgrimage, not a sportive event.

Buen Camino, SY

Thank you, but I would like to stick to the Camino Frances. I know it's not a sporting event, and I plan on taking my time to walk as I am doing this for spiritual reason. But...I also don't know when I will have the opportunity to walk again so I would like to see and cover as much grouND as possible. I don't mind if I am walking into the night. I welcome the struggle aND I know it's going to take alot for me to see the struggles on the path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Than the answer is easy. Make a good guess at what you can confidently walk each day x available walking days = starting point. For example Ponferrada - 210 km before Santiago comes to my mind. Buen Camino, SY

The walking to Pamplona, then busing to O'Cebreiro sounds like a good option. You do lose that day you bus in to O'Cebreiro. That is, as far as it being a walking day.
As far as getting a "Camino Family". Quien sabe?

There are trail routes....and there is the Camino de Santiago. It is completely another thing.
I usually look for the more interesting and more challenging parts of a given trail, and take buses if necessary or convenient. But in the Camino there is a kind of immersion experience that comes with day after day of continuous walking. Well, I can't really explain it, but I feel that dividing the experience in two, with a day of buses, terminals, highways, and with people who don't recognize me as a fellow pilgrim, breaks the magic.
I'd start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, and just walk as far as I like, with just a general and provisional idea for every day. Being free of a set schedule is liberating.
You can come back another year, and restart exactly where you finished this year.
Buen camino!

€83,-
The walking to Pamplona, then busing to O'Cebreiro sounds like a good option. You do lose that day you bus in to O'Cebreiro. That is, as far as it being a walking day.
As far as getting a "Camino Family". Quien sabe?

So you think walking to Pamplona from SJPDP then starting from O'Cebreiro is a better option than starting from SJPDP and stopping in Roncevalles then busing to a point before O'Cebreiro ( was thinking Villafranc del Bierzo). I will also be flying into Pamplona and will have a few hours to hangout there before I bus to SJPDP, so I will have seen it beforehand.

There are trail routes....and there is the Camino de Santiago. It is completely another thing.
I usually look for the more interesting and more challenging parts of a given trail, and take buses if necessary or convenient. But in the Camino there is a kind of immersion experience that comes with day after day of continuous walking. Well, I can't really explain it, but I feel that dividing the experience in two, with a day of buses, terminals, highways, and with people who don't recognize me as a fellow pilgrim, breaks the magic.
I'd start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, and just walk as far as I like, with just a general and provisional idea for every day. Being free of a set schedule is liberating.
You can come back another year, and restart exactly where you finished this year.
Buen camino!

Iv never done the Camino, but I agree with you when you say it may break the magic. But, I really have no clue if or when I will be able to return after this time so I would like to at least make the completion to Santiago. And I have heard so much about the 1st day that I really want to experience that as well. Im starting on leaning on just walking that one day at the beginning then traveling to around 180km before Santiago and finishing out. Then I will have more days done walking consistently. Plus I am scheduled to meet a friend in Sarria on a certain day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So you think walking to Pamplona from SJPDP then starting from O'Cebreiro is a better option than starting from SJPDP and stopping in Roncevalles then busing to a point before O'Cebreiro ( was thinking Villafranc del Bierzo). I will also be flying into Pamplona and will have a few hours to hangout there before I bus to SJPDP, so I will have seen it beforehand.
I guess it all depends on what you like to do. I like Pamplona, and wouldn't miss out on spending a night there, but if a couple of hours roaming it before you catch your bus is cool with you, take that route.
You could even start in Pamplona. A lot of people do. Walk a few days from there and then bus to Sarria on whatever day you need to be there.
There are so many ways to walk the CF and the bus and train system in Spain is cheap and flexible you can hop around very easily.
No matter what schedule/route you walk, it's all good.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I only have about 8 days of walking to do. My initial plan was to start in St Jean and in 2 days get to Pamplona then bus to O'Cebreiro and finish from there to Santiago for the last 6 days of walking. I want to at least do the first day of walking from St Jean since I have heard it is the toughest. Take in mind that I am a experienced backpacker, I am a triathlete, a mailman that walks a 12 mile mail route everyday, and have already completed 2 Ironman triathlons this year.

I would like to see and cover as much grouND as possible. I don't mind if I am walking into the night. I welcome the struggle

Do you need to sleep? If not you might be able to do the entire CF. :)

Seriously, the camino may not be for you. Being a backpacker maybe you should consider St. Jean to Roncevalles and then backup a bit and take the GR-11 trail east along the Pyrennes. This webpage, although it has a title that may put you off, provides a look at the pros and cons of walking the camino or hiking in the mountains: http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks

Peg and I had hopes of doing both the CF and the GR-11 (a least a bit of it) but it was not to be.

I am scheduled to meet a friend in Sarria on a certain day.

Well, that kills the GR-11 idea.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back