• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for the Cheapest budget, tips

bobotron801

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2016, Oct-Nov 2017, April-May 2019, Oct 2019
Hello fellow pilgrims. I've had a few setbacks in my travels. Where I'll basically be going from the Hærvejen straight over to SJPP to start the Camino Frances. Which doesn't sound like a setback at all. Except I'm running low on my funds. So I'll be doing everything I can in Denmark to save money to convert to Euros and even then, I risk just having to come home and cancel my Camino.

I've heard of people doing the Camino Frances on a 500 Euro budget. If I can get any pointers to get me to the 500-800 Euro budget that would be exceedingly helpful!

Thanks in advance, Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you sleep outdoors, buy your food in a store and drink only water from village fuentes that will get you through at let's say 10€/day.
But what if it's a rainy night and no church porch nearby? And you have no tent? At least 5-6€ more for municipal albergue.
You want to eat something hot? Either you carry your own gas stove or go in albergue. Additional weight vs. Euros. Or you can go in the restaurant which will cost you even more Euros.
Walk, don't use transport, it costs :D

Y Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I’ve met a few pilgrims walking the way as Saint Francis of Assisi reportedly did, without funds.

One pilgrim had a beautiful voice and sang for his supper and lodging. Other pilgrims offered to pay his good and lodging.

If you don’t mind being on the receiving end of alms givers and the attendant life which goes with it: walk on.

Or, you can explain your situation to the hospies at albergues and offer to clean, prepare supper for others, or make beds, et cetera in exchange for a room and food for the night.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to add...
Some people sleep in private/hotel rooms for 70€ and they splurge on Paradors for 250€.
Some people sleep in albergues and sometimes splurge on private accommodation for 20-50€.
If you sleep most days for free you surely can "splurge" on albergue for 5€ at least to take a shower here and there. There are rivers and lakes though, just be careful not to drown ;)

If I can get any pointers to get me to the 500-800 Euro budget
Based on the excellent suggestions by @nycwalking and @KinkyOne, ask yourself (if you don't already know) what are your life skills at hand, to offer in 'barter'? ;)

Guessing you are going to have an amazing Camino!

My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances next month. We are on an extremely tight budget as well. We are planning to sleep outside but with an albergue night once or twice a week. Food will be done on our own, with a couple lunches out a week. We have all our gear and yes it means carrying a bit extra, but we don't have any other options. I trust it will work out!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or you needn’t start at SJPP. If you have a commitment to starting there, then by all means do so. (I did, so I understand that sort of personal commitment.) But if you’re just starting from SJPP because that’s the done thing or how your guide works, then why not reconsider?

Does your travel budget of 500 to 800 Euros include the travel costs to SJPdP and back home from SdC?

If that's the case, I'd first check how much you have to pay for traveling to and from Spain, that's where you can save the most. Travelling by bus is usually cheaper than flying, but it would take quite some hours from Denmark.

I found a flight from Billund for 100 Euros, back from SdC roundabout the same.

Then you'd have 300 to 600 Euros left for living.

How many days do you expect to be on the way? If you walk about 25 Kilometers it would take you about 30 days of walking with no rest days.

That would leave you with 10 Euros a day, if you have 300 Euros left per day, on 600 Euros it would be 20 Euros.

20 Euros a day is managable, I did that just recently in May and June on the Frances though not every day. 10 Euros a day I'd consider sleeping sometimes outside to stretch your money.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances next month. We are on an extremely tight budget as well. We are planning to sleep outside but with an albergue night once or twice a week. Food will be done on our own, with a couple lunches out a week. We have all our gear and yes it means carrying a bit extra, but we don't have any other options. I trust it will work out!

I really admire you for attempting to walk the Camino on limited funds. A positive attitude goes a long way. I wish my husband would walk the Camino with me. All the best to you both!

I did CF in ´14 on 25 Euro a day, but that was excluding airfare.

I used Norwegian cheapest fare, but upgraded to rucksack in the hull and seath w exyended lenght.
I spent below 8,500 Dkr...

- ate well every other day ( Pilgrim Menu ) and from supermarkets the alternate other.
Had two nescessary hotel stay but apart from that had a good full Camino experince in albergues on that budget..

You could go totally commando but you would have to bring a ferw extra items for rough sleeping - could be done..

Niels

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As far as equipment goes, it is fortunate that walking the Camino requires very little equipment and none of it has to be expensive. It is not a technical hike by any means. You can walk it with older, used equipment or equipment bought at discount and budget outdoor stores such as Decathlon. If you can borrow such items as a pack or lightweight sleeping bag, do so.
Stay in the municipal albergues whenever possible. If it is a clear, cool and beautiful night sleep outside when you can. As said already prepare your own meals with groceries purchased at mercados. That would probably reduce your eating costs by 50% right there. Never buy bottled water. No need. If you need your daily dose of coffee or tea, carry your own cup and boiler thing and your own instant coffee or tea bags. That is a big expense shaved off right there.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Being from South Africa with a very poor exchange rate we budget on 30€ per day. We stay at Municipal Albergues, and shop at Supermarkets. I carry a Billy and cook our food. For emergencies we carry packet soup and bread, and a packet of protein meal replacement. There is enough in the budget for coffee every morning and a beer at the bar if no supermarket. Municipal Albergue for the 2 of us is usually 12€,( up 20% from 2017) We walked for 39 days last year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As someone has already mentioned there's the cost of getting to your starting point and the return to your home. Coach / bus travel will be a cheaper option but you could also look at Bla Bla car.

My only suggestion would be to not wait till it is dark to pick your campsite, lest you blunder into the meadow of used toilet paper.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does your travel budget of 500 to 800 Euros include the travel costs to SJPdP and back home from SdC?

If that's the case, I'd first check how much you have to pay for traveling to and from Spain, that's where you can save the most. Travelling by bus is usually cheaper than flying, but it would take quite some hours from Denmark.

I found a flight from Billund for 100 Euros, back from SdC roundabout the same.

Then you'd have 300 to 600 Euros left for living.

How many days do you expect to be on the way? If you walk about 25 Kilometers it would take you about 30 days of walking with no rest days.

That would leave you with 10 Euros a day, if you have 300 Euros left per day, on 600 Euros it would be 20 Euros.

20 Euros a day is managable, I did that just recently in May and June on the Frances though not every day. 10 Euros a day I'd consider sleeping sometimes outside to stretch your money.

I've got my airfare all secured away at this point. would still have to pay for some busses or trains. So after travel expenses I'm looking at 500-800 euro. I think my time on the Haervejen will help me see how to do groceries for cheap.

I will be in 'Spain' for around 48 days (Cheapest flight was a bit longer duration) which makes the budget even tighter because I have to lengthen it.

I think my best bet is to see how cheap I can walk the Haervejen because I'm camping every night and cooking on my backpacking stove while I'm in Denmark and I'm taking 10,000 DKK for the 30 days.

Sometimes albergues will allow you to sleep outside in their yards, just fyi, and still use their shower and kitchen.

I've met several pilgrims that ask municipal albergues if they can pitch a tent in their yard, and usually get to do that for free.

Anything is possible, stick to your budget or don't have one, tell people your story, engage in conversation, add value to your interactions, help other Pilgrims in any way you can and your good needs will be rewarded, make yourself standout from the crowd, wear a t-shirt with slogan, Camino on a kroner budget, create a vlog, blog and write a journal and ask for help from your followers in return for something, ie copy of your ebook. Preparation and opportunity equals luck and lower expectations and accept the struggle, unknown, uncertainty and vunrebility and journey with purpose. Buen shoestring Camino 🤠

I'm running low on my funds. I've heard of people doing the Camino Frances on a 500 Euro budget. If I can get any pointers to get me to the 500-800 Euro budget that would be exceedingly helpful!
Last year I walked 21 days on Camino Portuges Interior + Sanabres + Fisterra & Muxia. Costs: 340 euros. Mind you these are hilly ones and not so many housing options in comparison to Frances where I guess I could manage under 450-500 euros. What it meant for me last year is walking on 17 euros a day, staying in municipal and private albergues and also in several hotels on the way where there were no other options. Self-catering all 3 weeks: did shopping in the supermarkets, cooked in the albergues, sometimes even without kitchens and cutlery - you can do a lot if you have a water coil and a spare cup :) A pack of ground coffee lasted the whole way for two and also had some teabags with us. Eat out in the restaurant a couple of times, including seafood. Had some spices with me that used daily. Not a big deal walking the Camino on the budget. Did 4 with about the same daily figures of 15-17 euros a day, didn't suffer at all :) Ah, could be more costly if you smoke/drink. And it pays off if you walk fast: less days till Santiago - less to pay :) Bom Caminho! :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just ran some quick and dirty math. Based on Cash withdrawals of Euros, and my total number of 'walking days' - I spent 27 Euro per walking day. (I took out anything I spent on airfare/airports/trains/etc as that will be different for everyone).
I stayed in Albergues almost every night, so they were between 5 and 12 Euro, depending if municipal/private/donativo.
Near the start of my walk, I did almost exclusively groceries/cooking. I did not go to restaurants. I only spent money on coffees at cafes to have somewhere to rest/use the toilet. However, I did not buy inexpensive food - I bought fresh produce, cheeses, meats, avocados, fish, etc - I made myself extravagant meals because I had lots of time to do so. You could do much more basic pastas/salads and be way cheaper.
Near the end of my walk, I got more interested in the unique communal meals at some albergues, and bought a few of those, usually 10 to 15 Euro per meal.
I did the occasional 'special' even like the chocolate museum in Astorga.

My blog is here if that helps you understand my spending more based on where I stayed and when I talked about meals.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back